TRX Student

1995 fourtrax 300 4x4 rebuild

34 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Fuel pump on a 300?

i think i got my threads mixed up..lol.

• Haha 1

I was wondering what that Eldenbrock thing was , it looking like something on the exhaust pipe or by the pipe  , maybe another thread of your? 

But anyways , while going back and relooking at your pics , you can a long way , seen the pics of the entire bottom section of the frame cut off , this has been a big job and you are getting close  !! 

• Like 1

Well guys, 

the parts have been trickling in!

Today I got the muffler, and am EXTREMELY tempted to throw on the head and cover and fire it! Still waiting on the lapping tool......but man! Should I!?

Lol.

Currently going through my misc bolt buys to find the correct bolts and nuts for the muffler. 

The rear axle , hubs and nuts where sent in three different packages. Received the hubs last week. They are nice. Hoping the rest make it in this week, but eBay isn’t updating the tracking for the other packages so I’m worried.

got the 6007 bearings installed. Hope that will add some support to the rear. They fit nice.

C7EB5D35-6C3D-4863-AA46-DD23F3EC2CF2.jpeg

B6D414C3-E1D9-4B7C-9B33-154307FD0FD6.jpeg

8946597E-135E-4BD0-A710-12D72FF203FD.jpeg

39426FD9-CF77-418C-B513-C67690DC9551.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Well guys, 

the parts have been trickling in!

Today I got the muffler, and am EXTREMELY tempted to throw on the head and cover and fire it! Still waiting on the lapping tool......but man! Should I!?

Lol.

Currently going through my misc bolt buys to find the correct bolts and nuts for the muffler. 

The rear axle , hubs and nuts where sent in three different packages. Received the hubs last week. They are nice. Hoping the rest make it in this week, but eBay isn’t updating the tracking for the other packages so I’m worried.

got the 6007 bearings installed. Hope that will add some support to the rear. They fit nice.

C7EB5D35-6C3D-4863-AA46-DD23F3EC2CF2.jpeg

B6D414C3-E1D9-4B7C-9B33-154307FD0FD6.jpeg

8946597E-135E-4BD0-A710-12D72FF203FD.jpeg

39426FD9-CF77-418C-B513-C67690DC9551.jpeg

last pic ^^^, what are these bearings installed into ???, that does not look like anything on a 300 that i can tell from ??.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

last pic ^^^, what are these bearings installed into ???, that does not look like anything on a 300 that i can tell from ??.

I deleted the rear brake , and shaved down the panel.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

I deleted the rear brake , and shaved down the panel.

why would you do this ????. there wont be anything to keep water, mud, snow, whatever ?..from getting to the rear differential now !.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shadetree said:

why would you do this ????. there wont be anything to keep water, mud, snow, whatever ?..from getting to the rear differential now !.

Well, there are two sealed bearings installed, and I plan on filling the tube with some grease. I know you're not going to like it shade, it'll just be something I'll keep an eye on.

• Haha 1

TRX , I see a lot of the center paddle guys do what you done , by making a bearing block from the brake backing plate ----  what you can do to take it to the next level and do a better job of sealing is a custom bearing block with a seal in the block , I used this one for the opposite of what you did , instead of deleting the drum brake , adding a disc 

What I would do with what you got now ,  is drill and tap the axle tube for a grease fitting ( zerk ) fill the tube with grease when you assembly it , then pump grease thru the fitting and keep the tube full , cause it isn't going to last long like you got it , 

fullsizeoutput_c0a.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

TRX , I see a lot of the center paddle guys do what you done , by making a bearing block from the brake backing plate ----  what you can do to take it to the next level and do a better job of sealing is a custom bearing block with a seal in the block , I used this one for the opposite of what you did , instead of deleting the drum brake , adding a disc 

What I would do with what you got now ,  is drill and tap the axle tube for a grease fitting ( zerk ) fill the tube with grease when you assembly it , then pump grease thru the fitting and keep the tube full , cause it isn't going to last long like you got it , 

fullsizeoutput_c0a.jpeg

Adding a disc is ultimately where I'd like to go with this project. Just not sure where to start. 

Ok, so doubling up the bearings won't seal it very well. I might keep it the way it is for now and see how it runs. With an installed zerk.

Does your custom block have the same inner diameter as the old brake housing panel?

Can you post acouple more pics, with different angles for this mod? I have a bunch of disc brake calipers laying around.

In my mind the tricky part is figuring out how to get the disc on the axle, and this bearing block...

Edited by TRX Student

Can’t find anything about these two parts in the manual, they came with the muffler. I’m assuming the green ring acts as a washer to meet the cylinder head? But the other grey piece? It’s a hard felt-like material.

ADDD23CC-44A0-4977-8C73-925995939B87.jpeg

#9 in the pic above , that print is a 450 , just used it for reference 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TRX Student said:

Hmmm, the muffler I was sent is all one piece. Guess I’ll save this for my 450s!

Is there a way to keep the heat shield on your new tailpipe?

—cuz man you gonna need to keep that sidecover and your leg from melting

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goober said:

Is there a way to keep the heat shield on your new tailpipe?

—cuz man you gonna need to keep that sidecover and your leg from melting

Good eyes goober, there are brackets just like the original to bolt a heat shield to the muffler. The one from the old 300 was completely useless. I have acouple of heat shields floating around that I might try to bend and make them work.

• Like 1

Grease works.  I have diffs filled with grease for a few years now with no ill effects. I have never tore up a diff with grease in it yet , knock on wood.  But it is not 100% grease. I put very thick Lucas hub oil in the diff then pump it full of grease.  Then every other trip I pump it with grease till I feel some resistance with the vent tube off.  If it comes out the vent I stop pumping

what I have been doing Lately is running the Lucas Hub oil 100% till I notice a lost of fluid Or milkiness of the oil.  Then go to grease from that point. Life extension 

Since I run 250 rear ends I also like to drill and tap the axle tubes and the swing arm tube and pump them  full of grease also. 

• Like 1

Update!

I ended up throwing the new head on without lapping the valves. I’m probably going to have to go back in someday to do just that, but I’m still waiting on the lapping tool, it’s been 3 months now, the snow is melting, and I’ve got more projects coming up, so I need my shed space.

SHE FIRED RIGHT UP

GREAT SUCCESS.

I bought a replacement muffler off of eBay.

Dont do it.

None of the mounting bolt brackets line up with the frame, and the bend isn’t correct near the muffler, it sits out and is too close to the fender plastic. 

Have any of you had to deal with something like this before? Should I try heating the pipe of the muffler and bending it correctly? 

The mounting bolt holes are all about a half inch off, I think I’ll make those holes bigger, and see where it takes me. Pics are coming...

9575499E-7974-41FB-887D-76E249556810.jpeg

E617EE08-2B2E-420D-8BF2-3F3946BEDF23.jpeg

155EBDEB-B175-4F20-A127-3A96BE7CBDE8.jpeg

5ACC7E5B-82B3-4425-BEBF-2866C428FDDC.jpeg

35CC3ADA-84E2-4521-82D3-66F423E1F7D2.jpeg

Yep.  I think You got the wrong generation muffler. I know  88-92 is the same. I know a 96 or 95 won’t fit on a 92. The mounting bolts don’t line up.  Close but no cigar. Would bet you could make it work with some welding.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Yep.  I think You got the wrong generation muffler. I know  88-92 is the same. I know a 96 or 95 won’t fit on a 92. The mounting bolts don’t line up.  Close but no cigar. Would bet you could make it work with some welding.  

It is listed as fitting 93-2000. I'm pretty sure the quads I'm piecing together are a 93' and a 95'. Oh well, it just needs acouple small adjustments. 

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Did you ever check that 10th digit of the vin image.png

I just checked lol. The new(used) frame is P, so '93. The old frame has S so '95.

I have heard people say that 93 was a cusp year , there were bikes built in the first part of the year with some 1st gen stuff and some built 2nd gen , don't know about the truth behind that , 93 is one year I have not had ------  I did have a girl friend that was born on the zodiac cusp and she had multiple personalities , never knew what you was going to get  

• Like 1

I just had a look at the muffler interchange for 300s , this is what partzilla has as a break down  88-91 /  92  / 93-96 / 97-2000 ---- I know the 88 fits on the 92 cause I am running it and the 96 won't fit the 92 ---  I am pretty sure you can swop around the 3rd and 4th gens of the muffler , cause I never ran into a later model that didn't fit , think it is more a heat shield difference on the late ones   -------   Wow , I just noticed  the 92 is still available for $600 and the 93-96 / 97-2000 cost $750 and that is with out the $200 heat shield 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I just had a look at the muffler interchange for 300s , this is what partzilla has as a break down  88-91 /  92  / 93-96 / 97-2000 ---- I know the 88 fits on the 92 cause I am running it and the 96 won't fit the 92 ---  I am pretty sure you can swop around the 3rd and 4th gens of the muffler , cause I never ran into a later model that didn't fit , think it is more a heat shield difference on the late ones   -------   Wow , I just noticed  the 92 is still available for $600 and the 93-96 / 97-2000 cost $750 and that is with out the $200 heat shield 

Wow.

I can see why Harvey Spooner on Youtube keeps adding to his hoard.

The holes in the muffler brackets allow for some adjustments, so I bet these little variations where in mind when it was tacked together. I think I'll hollow out the holes abit more, and make some adjustments to how the fender sits.

Today I'm heading out in the morning to do some logging on skidoo, then to the post office around 1:45 to see if some more goodies have arrived (this is the highlight of most days lol)

Maybe head to the dump and see what scores I can find!

I'm about to order a conversion kit for the front brakes. There's a guy in Canada (Powermodz) that has the kits, but he's not responding to any of my emails, and when I contact him through his youtube account he answers right away, but tells me to email him on his website. I do, but he doesn't respond. Bah!

If I order a kit from the states I don't think it will be cost effective, exchange rate is terrible right now. Anyone know anyone in Canada that has these kits?

https://powermodz.com/brakes/8365-super-atv-disc-brake-honda-front.html