TRX Student

1995 fourtrax 300 4x4 rebuild

Is those metal chunks or clutch friction material on the towel?

28 minutes ago, retro said:

Is those metal chunks or clutch friction material on the towel?

Not sure how to identify what they are.

Are they crushable between your finger nails? Soft or hard? Metallic, plastic or organic? 🙂

Aye... yup! I thought they looked organic! The texture provided that guess....

Probably safe... unless there is enough friction material missing to allow metal-metal contact between the weight and the drum. From here it looks like it is freshly broken, but looks like it will cause no harm. Its your call though, you can see better than we can.

• Like 2

Yesterday I cleaned the carb up abit. Nothing exciting in there, just remnants of rust from the tank. When spring weather comes I’m going to treat the tank with vinegar then coat it with abit of 2stroke oil , install a filter on the fuel line and run it. Today I broke down the front knuckles and brake backing plate. I want to do the disc conversion, so I’m just doing a bit to move ahead with that. 

I’m going to have to get new ball joints for the knuckles and new bearings too. I’ll have to do that work before I paint them.

11D99369-8991-48E9-9434-94994851C85B.jpeg

C8652ECD-AF67-45CB-8E60-56714A7CC21F.jpeg

A5E6FCE1-BC5C-490D-BA07-8D940208B8C5.jpeg

71C3712A-EB9D-4B52-A560-7316E87858EF.jpeg

• Like 1

Last year I bought a set of ball joints for my 1999 450s. They have been sitting on the shelf, I don't have the space to have two projects going at once. So I've been focused on the 300. My 300 also needs ball joints. As far as I can tell looking at partzilla, it looks as though the ball joints will also fit my 1995 300 4x4. Can one of the experts confirm this?

8 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Last year I bought a set of ball joints for my 1999 450s. They have been sitting on the shelf, I don't have the space to have two projects going at once. So I've been focused on the 300. My 300 also needs ball joints. As far as I can tell looking at partzilla, it looks as though the ball joints will also fit my 1995 300 4x4. Can one of the experts confirm this?

the ball joints should fit all trx300's from 1988-2000 :-).

• Like 1

The 450 ball joints are larger if you got the correct ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toodeep said:

The 450 ball joints are larger if you got the correct ones.

Fairly certain I got the correct ones. If so, they won't be compatible? @shadetree says yes, @toodeep says no.......I guess I'll have to press an old one out to see.

There are other part numbers for these same parts but this is what I have in stock. 300 on the right (top) and 450 on the left (bottom). 

20200309_094147.jpg

20200309_094353.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, toodeep said:

There are other part numbers for these same parts but this is what I have in stock. 300 on the right (top) and 450 on the left (bottom). 

20200309_094147.jpg

20200309_094353.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to pull those out and take pics. Ill double check the ball joints that I have for the 450s and compare them with the old ones off the 300 and see what I got. 

No problem, you can see they are pretty close (phone didn't rotate when taking the top pic so you have to look at it sideways for the description) but enough different to not work. The 300 uses a 32mm circlip to secure them and the 450 uses a 34mm.

• Like 2

Yep, 450 is bigger.

300 uses small ball joint top and bottom

350 and 420 Rancher uses big ball joint up top, small one on the bottom

450, 500, and Rincon all use big ball joint top and bottom.

• Like 2

Got the ball joint out and compared with the set i bought for the 450s. The 300 ball joints are indeed smaller. Thanks @toodeep and thanks @jeepwm69

NB: Its easier to get them out when you understand which way they go in. 🙄

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:33 AM, TRX Student said:

Fairly certain I got the correct ones. If so, they won't be compatible? @shadetree says yes, @toodeep says no.......I guess I'll have to press an old one out to see.

i said what i said, because i thought i read you had 300 ball joints ?, if you have 450 ball joints ?, then no..they will not fit a trx300.

I'm in the process of doing a rear brake delete. I've read it helps the rear if you throw another carrier bearing in the brake panel. I've shaved down the panel, and I'd like to order two sealed bearings. the part number off partzilla is 

BEARING, RADIAL BALL (6007)
91052-HB3-771

But I dont think that one is sealed. On ebay there are kits for a bearing and two seals, but what I want to order is just two sealed bearings.

Anyone have a lead for me?

You can get sealed 6007 bearings about anywhere. The honda one is completely sealed on one side and semi sealed on the other if I remember right.

Edit in pics. 

20200312_163236.jpg

20200312_163230.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRX Student said:

I'm in the process of doing a rear brake delete. I've read it helps the rear if you throw another carrier bearing in the brake panel. I've shaved down the panel, and I'd like to order two sealed bearings. the part number off partzilla is 

BEARING, RADIAL BALL (6007)
91052-HB3-771

But I dont think that one is sealed. On ebay there are kits for a bearing and two seals, but what I want to order is just two sealed bearings.

Anyone have a lead for me?

Am I reading this right , TRX , you are going to do a brake delete , almost everyone that does a brake delete  around here does it  for a axle paddle , would that work in the snow ??? ---- I have a brake delete on my blue 300 , but it is a 250 rear end ,  it only has the one bearing in it , but the axle tube is drilled and a grease fitting installed , so I grease it till grease comes out the hub , mud'der  style , I got a lot of hours on that bearing 

• Like 1

Fish, I wanted to do away with the brakes in the back because they are useless, and maybe one day do a snorkel and a paddle, one day. It never even crossed my mind as a snow application, but now.......

7 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Fish, I wanted to do away with the brakes in the back because they are useless, and maybe one day do a snorkel and a paddle, one day. It never even crossed my mind as a snow application, but now.......

Unless it was packed ice , I don't think snow would give the support needed to achieve momentum , but you never know ----hey , if nothing else you could get the kids around and make snow-balls like a snow ball machine ---you might not know what a snow ball is up there , we eat them in the summer , cup of finely ground ice with a bout 100 different flavors , pretty good !!!  Shaved ice might be another name for them 

• Haha 1