bigcountry78

2001 rancher refresh

Well, the adjustment must be about right so I’m going to leave it alone for now. Is it as easy as pulling the cover, swapping out the bolt, and replacing the cover? I’ll put that on the list for distant future. After I got done, I hitched it up to a trailer and put it to work around the yard for a bit. Shifts good now, pulls like it should, and the brakes work much better. Had my helpers out with me too.

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Well, the adjustment must be about right so I’m going to leave it alone for now. Is it as easy as pulling the cover, swapping out the bolt, and replacing the cover? I’ll put that on the list for distant future. After I got done, I hitched it up to a trailer and put it to work around the yard for a bit. Shifts good now, pulls like it should, and the brakes work much better. Had my helpers out with me too.

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

good deal..now put them helpers to work on that atv !..lol.

• Like 1

Yes sir, pull front cover, remove old adjustment bolt, then install new, reinstall front cover.

One of the first jobs I did on an ATV, as my 09 Foreman clutch adjustment screw was seized when I tried to adjust it and I ruined the end of it trying to adjust it.

If you stand the wheeler straight up on the back rack, it will stand up and you can remove the front cover without draining the oil and making a mess.   Have to remove fan and swing it out of the way.  I think on the 350 you have to pull the front driveshaft too in order to get the front cover off.

• Like 1

That doesn’t sound too bad. Yep I boogered the end up pretty good on this one, at least it’s a fairly easy fix. I’ll fix it one day. For now I’m just happy to have it back together so I can use it for a while, feel like I’ve worked on it more than I’ve ridden it.

• Like 1

That doesn’t sound too bad. Yep I boogered the end up pretty good on this one, at least it’s a fairly easy fix. I’ll fix it one day. For now I’m just happy to have it back together so I can use it for a while, feel like I’ve worked on it more than I’ve ridden it.

if you go the standing up method ?, make sure to turn fuel off !..lol.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:49 PM, bigcountry78 said:

Order a new adjustment screw, toss in a drawer, and ride it till you need to adjust it again, or until you have to pull the front cover off for some other reason.  If it's working fine now, leave it alone and ride it!

59 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Order a new adjustment screw, toss in a drawer, and ride it till you need to adjust it again, or until you have to pull the front cover off for some other reason.  If it's working fine now, leave it alone and ride it!

I’ll try lol, I’ve never been one to leave well enough alone…….

As I stated in my last post…. 

Picked up some new rear tires just now, 24x10x11 maxxis M978 tires from a newer rancher. Pics don’t quite do justice, y’all have to trust me when I say they look like they have less than 200 miles on them. No plugs or patches, and I got them locally for $60 for the pair. I’m not a huge fan of the mudlites, and they have a couple plugs in tnem so when I saw these I decided to go for it. I’ll be looking for a pair of M977’s for the front.

People think I’m nuts to get rid of the aftermarket wheels that were on it and put the originals back on, but there’s a reason for the madness: people buy machines and then take off new or nearly new tires in favor of bigger meaner tires. That leaves boring people like me with a steady supply of almost new takeoffs for cheap.

IMG_5998.png

Edited by bigcountry78

I don't see the point in aftermarket wheels on an ATV.  it's not like I'm cruising town trying to pick up chicks on it.   The wheels and tires will both be dirty/muddy 99% of the time.....why put something shiny/pretty on a road that is ONLY used offroad?

• Like 1

Agreed. I do see the idea behind changing to 12” rims for more tire choices. I don’t understand why Honda put 12’s up front and 11’s in the rear, but then again I’m happy with the OE tires so I don’t need 12’s all the way around. I wish they still offered the Bridgestone dirt hooks, I like those tires. I’ve seen a few sets here and there for sale, but they’re always dry rotted and wore out.

• Like 1

Got the tires mounted up today. I broke the old ones down and mounted them new ones myself, old school with tire irons lol. Not terrible, but not the most fun I’ve ever had. I couldn’t get the bead to seat on either one no matter what trick I tried. I ended up going to the local tire shop and paid them $10 to seat the bead. Got them back home and mounted up, and I’m happy with them. They have more of an old school look to them. They also seem to be taller than the mudlites even though they’re both 24” tires on the sidewall. I’m definitely going to look for some M977’s for the front. If anyone out there is close to Hickory and wants to trade 2 front Maxxis tires for my 4 mudlites, let me know.

IMG_6003.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Got the tires mounted up today. I broke the old ones down and mounted them new ones myself, old school with tire irons lol. Not terrible, but not the most fun I’ve ever had. I couldn’t get the bead to seat on either one no matter what trick I tried. I ended up going to the local tire shop and paid them $10 to seat the bead. Got them back home and mounted up, and I’m happy with them. They have more of an old school look to them. They also seem to be taller than the mudlites even though they’re both 24” tires on the sidewall. I’m definitely going to look for some M977’s for the front. If anyone out there is close to Hickory and wants to trade 2 front Maxxis tires for my 4 mudlites, let me know.

IMG_6003.jpeg

a 2 inch ratchet strap wrapped around the center of the tire, tighten it down, tire bead will seat easy when you air the tire up, been doing it this way for many yrs, never had a tire beat me yet !.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

a 2 inch ratchet strap wrapped around the center of the tire, tighten it down, tire bead will seat easy when you air the tire up, been doing it this way for many yrs, never had a tire beat me yet !.

I usually pour a little gas into the tire, step back a good ways, and toss a match at the tire (valve stem removed!).

That works, and is entertaining.  I would not suggest anyone else try it.  It's pretty stupid.

But then again, I like doing stupid things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried the ratchet strap and have had success before, but it just didn’t work this time. And I have a healthy respect for anything flammable anymore, I was trying to start my big bear with ether one time and it backfired through the air box into my face. Singed off my eyelashes and part of my hairline. So I decided to pass on that option.

• Haha 3

I tried the ratchet strap and have had success before, but it just didn’t work this time. And I have a healthy respect for anything flammable anymore, I was trying to start my big bear with ether one time and it backfired through the air box into my face. Singed off my eyelashes and part of my hairline. So I decided to pass on that option.

using strap, if it leaks with it on, try bouncing the tire a couple times, strap must be 2 inch, and tight !.

• Like 1

Y’all ever feel like you made a mistake? Yea, I’m starting to think I should have left my mud lites alone. Idk why, just a feeling. May swap them back out. I’ve got one good spare rear wheel, I may mount a mud lite on it so I only have to change out one tire. I can’t leave anything alone. I should have spent that $70 on a red dot mount for my AK.

Edited by bigcountry78

On 12/15/2023 at 3:21 PM, bigcountry78 said:

Y’all ever feel like you made a mistake? Yea, I’m starting to think I should have left my mud lites alone. Idk why, just a feeling. May swap them back out. I’ve got one good spare rear wheel, I may mount a mud lite on it so I only have to change out one tire. I can’t leave anything alone. I should have spent that $70 on a red dot mount for my AK.

Find some extra wheels.  Around here you can't get 11's away.  I have a bunch if you want an extra rear.  Shipping will probably cost you more than a whole set of 11's locally though.   Watch FB marketplace.  I hate FB, but that's pretty much where all the buying/ selling happens these days. 

• Like 1

Yea I hate FB too, but that’s where I found these. Anyway, spent the better part of the day swapping back to the mudlites. I figured I’d never find a matching set of maxxis tires for the front, so I just put these tires up for sale on FB. I posted the two rear rims I bought too, because one has the lug holes wallowed out and the other is a different style than what I have now. I made it clear in the post that the holes were bad, but I just want to get rid of them and get most of my money back.

This all started because one of my mudlites had a slow leak. Well, now it has a big bead leak that will require a tube. Should have left well enough alone. Being cheap sure has bitten me in the butt this time around. I’ll run my current tires until they wear out, then I’ll just pony up for a new set, installed by a competent tire shop. Likely bear claws, or maybe swamp foxes. Both of those come in OE sizes and look like a good all around tire.

I do appreciate the offer, but I think I’m set for now. This has been a fiasco for sure. Worst part is telling my wife that I was wrong and she was right. Again. You know, I’d like to be right just once this year.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Watch FB marketplace.  I hate FB, but that's pretty much where all the buying/ selling happens these days. 

Im not into facebook twitter or any of that mess..... and you say parts are being swopped on facebook ? Well now you have my attention being i can get on facebook now....link me... or let me know what places to look on Fb, Sir. 

IMG_7052.JPG

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Im not into facebook twitter or any of that mess..... and you say parts are being swopped on facebook ? Well now you have my attention being i can get on facebook now....link me... or let me know what places to look on Fb, Sir. 

IMG_7052.JPG

Well you have Honda Hoarders, which is mostly trikes, but they like older NOS stuff.   Basically a collectors page.

Honda 300 club

Honda 300/350/420/500 club

Then a bunch of "Arkansas ATV swap shop" localish boards for me. 

FB is like Craigslist though.  Lots of scumbags and scammers, so if you're looking at buying something, stick to local, or make sure that you really check a person out before you pay for parts.   The scammers have really come out of the woodwork on FB lately.  They will claim to have what you want, will ship, good prices, good pics (that they stole from the web) and want you to pay via some unprotected means like cashapp, venmo etc.   They're everywhere on FB now, in all the Jeep clubs, ATV pages, pretty much anywhere things are bought and sold.  

Your best bet is to find the local to you ATV trading pages.  Just type in "Tennessee ATV" and see what pops up.

The forums are SOOOO much better than FB.  Threads there start, get a couple of responses, and fall off, never to be seen again, where these forums the info is there forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FB marketplace has a ton of stuff as well. 

What do y’all think this noise is? I was pushing it out to get my son’s four wheeler out and it sounds like the brakes are grabbing? Only does it going forward, and only once. Doesn’t do it going backwards. I backed off the brake adjustment and it didn’t change anything.

Edited by bigcountry78
  • Thanks 1

Turns out it is continuous. But it doesn’t do it going backwards, only forwards. And I think it’s once every couple tire rotations, but you can feel something grab and release when you hear the noise. It doesn’t seem like it’s every rotation, maybe every other rotation. The ring is there, I double checked when I had it apart to work on the brakes.

Edited by bigcountry78