bfrevis

troubleshoot a no spark issue trx350d 1987

Ok try this with the coil -- put the spark plug in the boot and ground the spark plug threads to the engine real good -- leave the G wire on the coil -- remove the BL/Y wire from the coil -- now place a wire on the tab of the coil that the BL/Y was on -- other end of wire just tap it on and off on the positive post of the battery see if the spark plug sparks --- 

Edited by Melatv

8 minutes ago, bfrevis said:

Oil coil reads 8.6 with cap on

Reads 4.3 with cap off.

ok

Ok did that test. No spark at plug.

Did spark at battery terminal where i was touching. Noticed a drag when i touched with the fan.

Definitely a draw from something.

I am signing out -- will keep thinking this over

1 hour ago, bfrevis said:

Ebay  for $22

I Dont have much faith on a eBay $22 cdi that I’d say 100% chance came from china Especially on a 350D.    Did you check the wiring in the kill switch.  I seen that wire break inside the light switch assembly on a couple of 300 before. 

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I Dont have much faith on a eBay $22 cdi that I’d say 100% chance came from china Especially on a 350D.    Did you check the wiring in the kill switch.  I seen that wire break inside the light switch assembly on a couple of 300 before. 

The 87 350D is the odd duck CDI of the 350’s.

99% chance the CDI you have isn’t for the right model (regardless of what the ad said) and even if it is the right one, most of the China CDI’s don’t work right out of the box.

You need to get an OEM CDI for your 87 350D.  

Here’s the part number.  Try Rocky Mountain ATV.  Will be cheaper there.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/30410-HA7-751?ref=8023f93ab176944bf398d8d5a2829c0a21a1cc15

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 87 350D is the odd duck CDI of the 350’s.

99% chance the CDI you have isn’t for the right model (regardless of what the ad said) and even if it is the right one, most of the China CDI’s don’t work right out of the box.

You need to get an OEM CDI for your 87 350D.  

Here’s the part number.  Try Rocky Mountain ATV.  Will be cheaper there.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/30410-HA7-751?ref=8023f93ab176944bf398d8d5a2829c0a21a1cc15

Partzilla says longer available.  Seems I remember Shade saying new is gone. Ricks doesn’t have a 350d or 350a cdi. Used is the only way.  I think I would stick the old parts back on on test from there.  

Yes i eliminated the kill switch by shorting the wires together and not touching ground. 

I am reluctant to buy a 175 dollar part without knowing it is bad. The last test where i hooked a wire directly to the battery has nothing to do with the cdi  yet no spark. I am just not sure of anything right now.

1 hour ago, bfrevis said:

Yes i eliminated the kill switch by shorting the wires together and not touching ground. 

I am reluctant to buy a 175 dollar part without knowing it is bad. The last test where i hooked a wire directly to the battery has nothing to do with the cdi  yet no spark. I am just not sure of anything right now.

hate to break it to you ?, but you can not '' twist '' the kill switch wires together !!!. that is closing the circuit. when the kill switch is '' centered '' ?, these wires are not together, circuit open. when you move the switch right or left ?, you are closing the circuit, when this takes place, you are grounding the c.d.i., the spark plug coil, which then kills any spark to spark plug.

The 2 wires going to the kill switch are presentlyvtwisted together and taped. I now read 12 volts at the cdi plug.  Without those wires twisted together, i have no power to the cdi.??

8 hours ago, shadetree said:

hate to break it to you ?, but you can not '' twist '' the kill switch wires together !!!. that is closing the circuit. when the kill switch is '' centered '' ?, these wires are not together, circuit open. when you move the switch right or left ?, you are closing the circuit, when this takes place, you are grounding the c.d.i., the spark plug coil, which then kills any spark to spark plug.

Kill switch needs to be closed --see dia.

87 dia.jpg

• Like 1

That test where i hooked a wire to the ign coil and touched the battery directly. What does that tell us?  No spark at the grounded spark plug??

16 minutes ago, bfrevis said:

That test where i hooked a wire to the ign coil and touched the battery directly. What does that tell us?  No spark at the grounded spark plug??

Some Ign. coils can be tested that way some not.

Does the ATV turn over real good when starting?

did you check the sub-fuse inline on the ignition switch ? . my money is is on the china knock-off c.d.i. ?, or the stator , or the reg/rec ?.

Have you tried CDI that came with the ATV again?

Yes i have tried both cdi several times each.

This sub fuse, reads 12 volts on each side with key on.

I have not touched the regulator at all. 

Is it possible that we have a switch issue while in cranking position? 

I am beginning to think that i had a bad cdi and i bought a new bad cdi. No matter which one I use, the same result... no spark.

Yes neutral is on. It goes off when i drop it in gear. So it is only on in neutral. Fan comes on when key is in on position.