parrothead600

Foreman 450, no spark

I am dealing with a 2002 Foreman 450 (manual shift) that has no spark. The stator passes the resistance checks as well as the ground test. The pulser coil is putting out the proper voltage when measured with a DVA meter. The voltage regulator failed the ohmmeter test, so I replaced it with a new one from RM Stator. I don't have any voltage out of the CDI box. 

Tracing out the wiring diagram, I can tell that I have power to the CDI box from the key switch. I also have good continuity from the stator leads to the CDI box.  Does anyone know how much voltage should be coming of the stator leads to the CDI box? Since the regulator had failed, I suspect that it may have fried the CDI box, but I don't want to just blindly replace parts until it runs.

Welcome aboard.  Is it safe to assume you have looked in the FSM since you've run tests on several components that were in spec?

Electric is not my strong point, but there are some guys on here who are very well versed in the wired smoke. 

I will say that I have seen a couple of 300's with roasted CDI's due to a bad regulator, so if the regulator was bad, good chance that it smoked the CDI at the same time.

See if @retro or @Melatv or @AKATV can chime in.  Maybe @Fishfiles and @shadetree as they are big 450 guys as well.

Yes, I have looked in the Factory Service Manual.  The tests that they have are not as clear as they should be, but after studying the wiring diagrams, I was trace and test wires. 

Where are you located?  I have a neighbor with a 2004 450FM.  If you can find a CDI locally you could just see if that's what your problem is.

I know this sounds rediculous but I had a similar situation with my 1998 450ES a few moths ago.  After some troubleshooting I decided to check the kill switch and sure enough found my no spark issue.  It has a dead spot when it is centered so when I wiggled it I all of a sudden had my spark and it started.  I would hope it would be that simple for you, good luck......

14 hours ago, bcsman said:

I know this sounds rediculous but I had a similar situation with my 1998 450ES a few moths ago.  After some troubleshooting I decided to check the kill switch and sure enough found my no spark issue.  It has a dead spot when it is centered so when I wiggled it I all of a sudden had my spark and it started.  I would hope it would be that simple for you, good luck......

I have seen this on some dirt bikes.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm located in Central Michigan and I don't know of anyone that has one of these machines to try parts from.

As far as the kill switch goes., I was able to trace the circuit using the wiring diagram and the kill switch and ignition switch are doing what they should be doing. That was a good idea though. It's pretty common to overlook the obvious.