Mach 1

2010 Honda Rancher 420TEA ignition fuse issue.

Posted (edited)

Going to order this one..New, All numbers on unit match mine except for 6 digits after the 6901 that I'm not worried about since top row dead match, $292 with tax 😞

Screenshot_20240420-183833_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by Mach 1
Additional info

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Going to order this one..New, All numbers on unit match mine except for 6 digits after the 6901 that I'm not worried about since top row dead match, $292 with tax 😞

Screenshot_20240420-183833_Amazon Shopping.jpg

you are gonna regret not buying from honda...NEVER...EVER..TRUST ANYTHING FROM AMAZON !. when the part numbers don't match for anything honda ?, this tells me its after market, but hey..its yer cash and time..lol.

I hope not, I did some digging and seller is a Honda place in Ohio, plus that part number exact match to one I removed, will update when it comes in.

@Mach 1  just info -- The CKP (crankshaft position sensor) send a 0.7 VAC (using PVA to test) to the PCM (ECM)  -- then the PCM send a pulse to G/Y wire on the Ign. Coil to only pulse it to ground to fire the spark plug. Now with the PCM (ECM) being bad – which was holding the ground on the Ign. Coil (G/Y) wire for ever causing it heat up and damage it. That G/Y wire should away read infinity when not running the atv.

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

I hope not, I did some digging and seller is a Honda place in Ohio, plus that part number exact match to one I removed, will update when it comes in.

Honda East Toledo?  I used to buy all my stuff from them.  Rocky Mountain ATV and Motosport seem to be cheaper and have free shipping over $75

27 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Honda East Toledo?  I used to buy all my stuff from them.  Rocky Mountain ATV and Motosport seem to be cheaper and have free shipping over $75

over 300 from rmatv..i checked..lol.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yea I looked up there website and legit dealer, $291 with tax shipped free, thanks for input Meltav, makes sense that pcm should trigger pulse to coil based on CPS ( thinking new form of timing ), can see how computer could send continuous signal that quickly overheats coil and overwhelming heat sink mounting points. Just weird how intial issue was fuse, once fuse stop blowing part failure cascaded from there, this ECM is last component to replace with OEM..one last thing, is the CDI on our machines built into the PCM? I see early models CDI in front below handlebars? Also, when new PCM arrives, is it a plug and go or will it require some kind of weird reset procedure turning key and throttle, etc.???

Edited by Mach 1
Additional info

Hi @Mach 1: Just blow any dirt out of the connectors and put some dielectric grease around the edges of the connectors (NOT ON THE PINS

37 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi @Mach 1: Just blow any dirt out of the connectors and put some dielectric grease around the edges of the connectors (NOT ON THE PINS

👍

7 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Yea I looked up there website and legit dealer, $291 with tax shipped free, thanks for input Meltav, makes sense that pcm should trigger pulse to coil based on CPS ( thinking new form of timing ), can see how computer could send continuous signal that quickly overheats coil and overwhelming heat sink mounting points. Just weird how intial issue was fuse, once fuse stop blowing part failure cascaded from there, this ECM is last component to replace with OEM..one last thing, is the CDI on our machines built into the PCM? I see early models CDI in front below handlebars? Also, when new PCM arrives, is it a plug and go or will it require some kind of weird reset procedure turning key and throttle, etc.???

most elec shift machines have the c.d.i. part built into the pcm, all the older manual shift machines have a fan control and c.d.i. seperate unlike the ele shift's do.

SUCCESS!!! I got in new OEM PCM today, along with OEM coil (x2), relay and idle air control valve, cranked right up and idled beautiful, coil stayed cool, no blown fuses. Thank you EVERYONE for your input and knowledge and motivating me not to give up..all back together so ride later after grass mowing..once again THANKS to you all who also put up with my whining lol...guess this thread is DONE..maybe it will help someone in the future,  I know personally I learned ALOT about my machine.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

SUCCESS!!! I got in new OEM PCM today, along with OEM coil (x2), relay and idle air control valve, cranked right up and idled beautiful, coil stayed cool, no blown fuses. Thank you EVERYONE for your input and knowledge and motivating me not to give up..all back together so ride later after grass mowing..once again THANKS to you all who also put up with my whining lol...guess this thread is DONE..maybe it will help someone in the future,  I know personally I learned ALOT about my machine.

@Mach 1, mine was a bad ECU as well.   The track records for ECU's on these new EFI machines doesn't look great for the long term.   I've replaced one on a 420FA, and one on that 2012 500FE now.  

Thanks for reporting back with what you found.   Buying a new ECU is always a little scary since they're pricey and not returnable if it turns out to not be the problem.

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

It does look like a warm coil might point to a bad ECU on these EFI machines, as that Foreman was doing the same thing.

• Like 1

Very true, that maybe a warning sign, but first it would be ignition fuse blowing .Went for short ride...wow, like a new machine,  idles sweet, plenty of power, so happy, showing 3,250 miles in 14 years..thanks again guys.

• Like 3