Mach 1

2010 Honda Rancher 420TEA ignition fuse issue.

Hi, new member here with an issue with a 2010 Honda Rancher 420TEA. Recently changed battery, idle air valve, plug, coil and wire, and fuel pump relay due to a idle issue.Ran great for 1 ride, 2nd ride, died at 30 mph, straight paved road, no bumps or rain. Found 10 A ignition fuse blown, changed, turn key , pop. After 5 mile walk home, started troubleshooting. Found if I unplugged fuel pump relay, fuse wouldn't blow. I put in a new relay AND changed coil and wire again ( aftermarket Amazon). Same issue, with dash blinking a line without relay, plugged in, pop. New fuse, then I disconnected the 2 plugs to coil ( green and black). I could then hear relay click and fuel pump cycle with normal dash display, plug in coil..pop goes the fuse. Disconnected rectifier with coil disconnected, fuse didn't blow, hooked up coil, pop goes the fuse.No wires chaffed, all tie strapped, could I REALLY be that unlucky and got 2 bad coil wires?? Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Hi, new member here with an issue with a 2010 Honda Rancher 420TEA. Recently changed battery, idle air valve, plug, coil and wire, and fuel pump relay due to a idle issue.Ran great for 1 ride, 2nd ride, died at 30 mph, straight paved road, no bumps or rain. Found 10 A ignition fuse blown, changed, turn key , pop. After 5 mile walk home, started troubleshooting. Found if I unplugged fuel pump relay, fuse wouldn't blow. I put in a new relay AND changed coil and wire again ( aftermarket Amazon). Same issue, with dash blinking a line without relay, plugged in, pop. New fuse, then I disconnected the 2 plugs to coil ( green and black). I could then hear relay click and fuel pump cycle with normal dash display, plug in coil..pop goes the fuse. Disconnected rectifier with coil disconnected, fuse didn't blow, hooked up coil, pop goes the fuse.No wires chaffed, all tie strapped, could I REALLY be that unlucky and got 2 bad coil wires?? Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

first mistake is buying parts from amazon, china junk. 

• Like 1

Lol, good point, just ordered a used Honda coil to try from place in NE,(Powersports Nation), thanks Shadetree, think I remember you from different Honda forum, notagt was old name, thanks for reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Well we can work on this together.  I just looked at a 2012 Foreman (prettymuch the same machine) that blew that same fuse this morning.  Owner recently put an aftermarket coil on it trying to troubleshoot (ended up being rat gnawed wires).  I got it running, and then a few days later it died again.   When I started messing with it this morning, blew that 10AMP fuse, and I let the smoke out of that coil, so I'm going to try to dig up the original and see if it works any better.

We might be troubleshooting these two together if an OEM coil doesn't fix the problem.

• Like 1

Sounds good jeep, I got some orange Amazon POS that once you put on plug, to remove wire pulls out the boot...I ordered a used OEM coil wire from PowerPoint Nation, so will try that for $25. Just weird the way with no warning, died and harness looks fine, fuse good till I plug in 2 wires and pop..been very frustrating since just hit 3,000 baby miles. Thanks for reply and will update when I get coil, please stay in touch with your progress.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Lol, good point, just ordered a used Honda coil to try from place in NE,(Powersports Nation), thanks Shadetree, think I remember you from different Honda forum, notagt was old name, thanks for reply.

we ditched that old site, made our home here. glad to have ya here !.

• Like 1

Thanks, yea I made a post with my issue there beginning October,  no reply..here, got reply in minutes!!

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: I installed used coil, did not blow fuse, but no spark !!! I noticed as well after short period of trying to crank, coil got HOT, to the point of two mounting post of coil so hot cant hold onto it, is this normal? Really perplexed that this time coil didn't blow 10 A ignition fuse, but no spark?????

The key has been off 15 minutes, went back out and coil so hot, melted end on mounting post as seen in pic, any ideas? Looking for a shop,  no one around me out here in the boonies. 

20231213_112138.jpg

Well that ignition coil is fried! Are there any aftermarket parts on your Rancher?

Unplug that coil and don't plug it back in, you'll need to get another genuine Honda ignition coil.

Do you have a 12 volt test light and a decent multimeter?

9 minutes ago, retro said:

Well that ignition coil is fried! Are there any aftermarket parts on your Rancher?

Unplug that coil and don't plug it back in, you'll need to get another genuine Honda ignition coil.

Do you have a 12 volt test light and a decent multimeter?

Pretty sure this is the same thing that happened with the 2013 Foreman ES that I messed with a few weeks back.  Had a couple of rat gnawed wires that I spliced back together.   Woman called and said it quit again, and I found a blown fuse.  Replaced it with another fuse and the coil let the smoke out.

I think the woman said her brother replaced the coil with an amazon coil, so I figured it was that aftermarket coil, but @Mach 1 put a used OEM coil from PSN on this machine he's working on, and it just smoked the new OEM coil too!

Yep, it sounds like the Engine Stop Relay is stuck now too, since the coil fried while the ignition switch was turned off? Gotta find out if any parts have been replaced with non-OEM, replace those with OEM parts if any,  then test the stop relay and the coil G/Y wire circuit and the coil B/R wire circuit.

I strongly suspect china part(s).

59 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

The key has been off 15 minutes, went back out and coil so hot, melted end on mounting post as seen in pic, any ideas? Looking for a shop,  no one around me out here in the boonies. 

20231213_112138.jpg

this pic tells me you have a hot wire touching the frame somewhere ?. how or where i can not tell you.

It gets worse..went out again, turned on key and now have NO display, NOTHING..I have 12.9 v at battery, 12.9 v from positive side of starter solenoid, all fuses good, but now NO power to fuel pump, relay, dash etc with key on ???? 30 minutes ago it was trying to crank with no spark with full dash display...WTF???.??

Are there any parts on your Rancher that are not genuine Honda parts? We can't go any further until this question is answered.

31 minutes ago, retro said:

Yep, it sounds like the Engine Stop Relay is stuck now too, since the coil fried while the ignition switch was turned off? Gotta find out if any parts have been replaced with non-OEM, replace those with OEM parts if any,  then test the stop relay and the coil G/Y wire circuit and the coil B/R wire circuit.

I strongly suspect china part(s).

No, only replaced parts was idle air control ( at Honda ), and fuel pump relay.

1 minute ago, retro said:

Are there any parts on your Rancher that are not genuine Honda parts? We can't go any further until this question is answered.

Only non honda part is fuel pump relay. Did good inspection of harness,  as stated, now I have no power anywhere with a 12.9 v battery and power to starter solenoid, key on, no dash, nothing.

Where is engine stop relay and why 30 minutes later would I have no power to key to light up dash? Guys, 30 minutes ago I was cranking with full dash and no spark, now nothing with all fuses good ????

Ok, unplug the china relay that you installed and remove it. Unplug the ignition coil and remove it. Toss them both in the trash can. China parts do not work on Honda's, they're garbage, and sometimes cause other expensive parts to fry.

Install the original OEM Honda relay that you previously removed, if you still have it?

It sounds like one of the 30 amp fuses have now blown. Check all of the fuses and let us know what you found when you've got the OEM relay back on your Rancher.

We'll be doing some testing.... do you have a 12 volt test light and a decent multimeter?

@Mach 1 don't freak out, what you are experiencing is common. We see these problems weekly, sometimes daily here....  folks replace a part (or several parts) with cheap china stuff and then all 'ell breaks loose.

Answer questions and follow instructions carefully and we'll probably fix it.... you'll need to buy another genuine Honda ignition coil. While you're waiting for that coil we'll diagnose the problem.

Do not plug any non-OEM part in while we are diagnosing it.

14 minutes ago, retro said:

Ok, unplug the china relay that you installed and remove it. Unplug the ignition coil and remove it. Toss them both in the trash can. China parts do not work on Honda's, they're garbage, and sometimes cause other expensive parts to fry.

Install the original OEM Honda relay that you previously removed, if you still have it?

It sounds like one of the 30 amp fuses have now blown. Check all of the fuses and let us know what you found when you've got the OEM relay back on your Rancher.

We'll be doing some testing.... do you have a 12 volt test light and a decent multimeter?

Coil is OEM, I just went back out and battery was now at 3.9 v with key off, hooked up charger,  let me say again, original issue was China coil blowing fuse, oem didn't blow fuse but no spark..everything worked, would turn over with full dash but no spark..Turned off key, melted coil, now battery at 3.9 v so hooked up charger.

Disconnect the negative (black) battery cable from the battery.

Read the posts I've made above and answer my questions, so I can help you fix it.

Where do I get a NEW OEM coil? Looked everywhere and can't find thats why I went used OEM..button issue is no power with key on anywhere..this is new, only issue was coil blowing fuse..rectifier tested in spec, pretty much everything on it is original,  off time kept in a sealed connex box, wires look pristine, really perplexed since I am a car guy and this one throwing curves at me, especially when I come in, go out and new issue crops up..really thank you guys for replies !!