bigcountry78

Non traditional rack boxes?

I’ve been looking at putting a small box on the front rack to hold odds and ends, but I’m cheap and can’t find anything that doesn’t look too bulky for the front. Anyone ever repurpose something else into a rack box? I found this sawzall box in the garage, the saw is long gone. But I was thinking about cutting the dividers out and putting some padding in, then bolting it to the rack. If you’ve got something similar post pictures 

IMG_5996.jpeg

IMG_5997.jpeg

Back when I first started riding there was a guy who made a wooden low profile box that he bolted to the front rack on his wheeler, and had it full of tools.  

• Like 1

@bigcountry78 I believe @Turbo Twister built one i think, its been a while but ill see if i can locate the post, i went with military amo boxes.... but they are not low profile.... used those for a chainsaw box... files, chains, wedges.... a few specialty hand tools... it would be more handy to have a low profile box. 

• Like 2

That would be even better, more room but still low profile. And best of all, cheap lol. I’ll check that out. When I think ammo cans, the first thing that comes to mind is the small one hand carry ones. I forget that they come in a bunch of different sizes.

I love me some ammo cans, but if I mounted them on the front rack, I'm sure I'd end up gashing my head open on a sharp corner when I hit a hole/rut and get flopped around on the wheeler. 

Finding something like I have pictured with nice rounded corners on top would be ideal.

• Like 2

I understand you want it closed or with a lid, but for anyone else considering something to carry odds and ends, I use milk crates.  I've also been considering a closed box but want to stay cheap as well.  Plano makes a sportsman trunk that would work well.

• Like 1

Yea I’m wanting it to close. I have a steel basket that I made for my big bear, but it won’t fit without some modification. The big bear had a bar on the rear of the front rack, up next to the handlebars. The rancher has a bar on the front above the headlights. To put the basket on the rancher I would need to cut an opening in the mesh to allow the basket to fit over that bar. It’s doable, but at the end of the day it’s not what I want this time around.

Well, I decided against the dewalt box for now. Found a Pepsi crate in the shop and did some looking. Pops right in between the gun racks, so it can’t slide side to side or forward because of the bar. Throw some

hose clamps around the bottom and done. Not as low profile as I wanted, but it was free, and I may cut it down a bit. May get some thin plastic to close the sides and bottom in with, and then see if I can make a lid.

IMG_6021.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

@bigcountry78 I believe @Turbo Twister built one i think, its been a while but ill see if i can locate the post, i went with military amo boxes.... but they are not low profile.... used those for a chainsaw box... files, chains, wedges.... a few specialty hand tools... it would be more handy to have a low profile box. 

Sorry for the very late reply to this thread! Yes, I made a laminated red deal box for my 300 about 4 years ago. The edges are routered to a bullnose finish to avoid any sharp edges and I deliberately made the internal dimensions so that a steel Jerry can fits on both sides of the box without rattling around. I can also fit my saw chainsaw in between the cans.

I recently added a ratchet and strap around the box as it is getting a lot of abuse from fencing equipment being carried lately, but it's still holding up good!

• Like 2

Screenshot_20240124_225114_Photos.jpgUnfortunately I left the bike in the horse field for a few minutes one day and one of our horses decided she wanted a piece of my seat, so that's why there's duck tape on the seat🤣

The pic below shows you that I had to create an indent in the box infront of the hour clock, but I have made the box cover as much of the rack as possible without overhanging the width of the bike. It's fastened to the rack using 4x gutter bolts and some galvanised band (flexible steel strap full of holes every ½ inch).

I'll try get some close ups of it in a few days when im back on the farm.Screenshot_20240124_225039_Photos.jpg

• Like 3

Yea I had a buddy that had a horse eat the seat completely off his rancher. Not sure what the attraction is with horses. Nice looking box.

• Thanks 1

I had some an old Coke crate lying around the shop that I attached to mine for hunting season. If I can find another I am going to attach it to the front. 

IMG_6698.jpeg

• Like 1

This has worked pretty well for me. I don’t hunt but I’m using it to carry tools, chain saw etc. for forest work.
The milk crate is zip-tied on and the toolbox uses U-bolts. 

IMG_4988.jpeg

IMG_4987.jpeg

IMG_4986.jpeg

• Like 2

You bet!! Purebred Bichon Frise. Out of 5,200 miles on my Rubicon she's rode about 5,000 and stayed at a half dozen hunting camps. She's not gun-shy either. 🙂

Saw this at Home Depot and it works perfect.  Lid seals and you can take the latches off so its like an open box if that what you want.  Under $30.

box.JPG

• Like 2

How did you secure it to the rack? I picked one up today at HD and it seems to be pretty sturdy for the price. Thanks. 

I don't have a picture but it just has 4 U-bolts that fit well around the racks.  I actually removed the rack and attached it upside down.  Made it easier to drill the holes and line it up.

I ended up going with the original dewalt box. I moved the gun rack back to the next set of bars, and the way the front rack and fenders are designed it’s still usable. The box is small, but I only need it to hold a drill, some hand tools, or a couple boxes of ammo depending on what I’m doing at the time. Probably gonna hit it with some black paint when I’m done, but this was all I had time for. Totally free too, already had the u bolts.

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg