Jump to content
LedFTed

combo meter

Recommended Posts

Someone may remember the name of the member who replaced the screen. mine has 5,000 miles,2,000TRXes450. Sanding didn't work.E replaced screen,though.

Edited by LedFTed
same as always

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Does your display work? Just has a cloudy lens?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi

Depending on your issue you are having I might be able to help you out

I have been repairing Speedometers for the Foreman 450s and ES/FE and older Rancher 350ES for awhile now

Most people found me over at the the old Honda Foreman and Honda ATV sites

Some of the problems that happen to the Speedometers are the inner display screen gets sunburn/UV damage and kind

of discolors or looks melted so you cannot read the the display.

Lately, I have seen a lot of ones that are completely blank (will light up when headlights are on but nothing on the screen at all) due to bad circuit card

the common problem causing that seems to be jumping atv off a car with no battery in the ATV -at least thats what the owners said 

Also, if you run without a battery or let sit a long time with dead battery(usually 8 months or longer, most time its years)

the speedometer will do weird things as have no gear position indicator or will read KM instead of MPH and the hours and mileage will change to all 9's

or some astronomical number like 500,000 miles etc.

Those issues can be reprogrammed, which I do and I am currently working on figuring out fixing the sunburnt screens as well

I have found lately that a lot of people sending in theirs for reprogramming have needed more than programming as their inner screens were cracked or circuit cards were water damaged etc...Unfortunately at this point I have run out of spare parts to support timely repairs unless yours just needs programming

I had a few salvage speedometers and would pick up a broken one here and there when I saw them but my local area has been picked clean now

If anyone has a lead on parts speedometers or a few bad ones laying around let me know what you want for them, just need the inner circuit card portion

so thay are cheap to ship

Let me know if you need repair and if anyone has a lead on parts speedos let me know and we can work it out

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

@AKATV I might have some laying around. Do you need any for the 500 foremans/Rubicon? I'll have to look and see what I have.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Looks like the Rubicon has a different display layout on the left side so they would not work

Any Rancher 350ES and Foreman 450S or ES will work though

Anything in any condition would help at this point

Thanks

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I wasn't sure if you was going to venture into those in the future or not. I'll see if I have anything to get you some parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 2/7/2020 at 6:13 PM, AKATV said:

Looks like the Rubicon has a different display layout on the left side so they would not work

Any Rancher 350ES and Foreman 450S or ES will work though

Anything in any condition would help at this point

Thanks

While I was sitting at a ballgame yesterday, I thought about this, and sent PSN a message asking what they do with junk meters when they part out machines. 

 

They said they just toss them, and they'd try to set them aside for me.  I order from them regularly enough where they could just toss them in with one of my orders when they get a few. 

 

I don't see a whole lot of 350's and 450's showing up on their list of "What we bought this week" lately, but they do pop up every now and then.

 

Point being, I should be able to get you some junk meters at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks for that

I hate to hear of useful stuff being tossed, but then I look in my shed and garage.... and start to understand- haha

I just used my last circuit board to help a member out. I have found when they "just need re-programing"

they usually have burnt screen and or damage to mainboard etc... I try to keep a few extra parts on hand so I dont have

to have them wait for me to source the parts. I think I might have them start sending a parts board with theirs to speed things up

 

I surely appreciate the thought, just let me know whenever and we can work it out

 

Speaking of tossing out parts-

I got friendly with the local Arctic Cat Dealership- we're a small town anyways

They would let me up walk thru and go in the overhead area and paw around for used parts, use their specialty pullers etc

They had probably15+ ATV parts motors, some complete from warranty exchange etc..  all kinds of good stuff

They would sell used parts for 1/4-1/2 price usually 20 -40 bucks for a few things or so- you get the idea

Went in one day after not being in for a few months, faces were down, some corperate changes were being made

new owner, restructuring, etc...

I went to look around and talked with the shop foreman about what was going on etc

They had brought in one of those 40 foot long dumpsters and had thrown EVERYTHING away 10 days prior--

Fenders- motors- racks -(all the used stuff of course)  25 years worth

I was speechless- I would have singlehandedly took it all if I had known- there was a LOT of potential money there tossed out,

but I get it, they're not in the used parts business

Needless to say I went to the dump hoping to spot some of it, but it must have all been at the bottom of the metal pile or bulldozed over..

anyways....

I know, I know.....- Arctic Cat -good place for it  at t he dump!  -ha ha I can see it coming already....

But you know what I mean- when you need parts it kills you to see stuff like that tossed out...

 

Thanks again and talk with you soon

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Thanks for that

I hate to hear of useful stuff being tossed, but then I look in my shed and garage.... and start to understand- haha

I just used my last circuit board to help a member out. I have found when they "just need re-programing"

they usually have burnt screen and or damage to mainboard etc... I try to keep a few extra parts on hand so I dont have

to have them wait for me to source the parts. I think I might have them start sending a parts board with theirs to speed things up

 

I surely appreciate the thought, just let me know whenever and we can work it out

 

Speaking of tossing out parts-

I got friendly with the local Arctic Cat Dealership- we're a small town anyways

They would let me up walk thru and go in the overhead area and paw around for used parts, use their specialty pullers etc

They had probably15+ ATV parts motors, some complete from warranty exchange etc..  all kinds of good stuff

They would sell used parts for 1/4-1/2 price usually 20 -40 bucks for a few things or so- you get the idea

Went in one day after not being in for a few months, faces were down, some corperate changes were being made

new owner, restructuring, etc...

I went to look around and talked with the shop foreman about what was going on etc

They had brought in one of those 40 foot long dumpsters and had thrown EVERYTHING away 10 days prior--

Fenders- motors- racks -(all the used stuff of course)  25 years worth

I was speechless- I would have singlehandedly took it all if I had known- there was a LOT of potential money there tossed out,

but I get it, they're not in the used parts business

Needless to say I went to the dump hoping to spot some of it, but it must have all been at the bottom of the metal pile or bulldozed over..

anyways....

I know, I know.....- Arctic Cat -good place for it  at t he dump!  -ha ha I can see it coming already....

But you know what I mean- when you need parts it kills you to see stuff like that tossed out...

 

Thanks again and talk with you soon

 

 

 

Having grown up with a father who has junk piled up everywhere, I always swore that I wouldn't be that way, but the older I get, the more hesitant I am to toss anything that I can fathom ever needing again.

 

Here lately I've been taking the "junk" like old hubs, stripped axles or busted CV's etc out to the pole barn on the farm and piling it up.  If someone steals it, no big loss.  It's not in the way out there, and if I need a wheel stud, or part of a CV, or someone else is trying to cobble something together and doesn't have money to buy parts, there it will be.

 

I even held onto a 500 meter that quit working after realizing that the wiring harness, and not the board itself, was the problem.  Top cover is busted too, and a new cover is $100+ so cheaper to buy a whole used meter than to try to patch this one together.  I'm still not throwing it away though!

 

Guy who owns the local Western Auto, which is an Arctic Cat dealer, asked my father in law if I was an actual ATV mechanic or if I just did it as a hobby.  Apparently they're looking for a shop hand.  Starting pay isn't bad either, but I don't think I could work on AC's for a living LOL.

 

I think even working on Hondas would get old if I had to do it every day, but AC?  Heck no.

 

power.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 2/7/2020 at 5:40 PM, retro said:

Does your display work? Just has a cloudy lens?

just getting back. my inner screen is sun-burnt. tried to sand it. 5000grit. better for a bit, maybe a couple of weeks.

on the old site someone had removed led screen and replaced that.

Edited by LedFTed
add words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 2/12/2020 at 11:37 PM, LedFTed said:

just getting back. my inner screen is sun-burnt. tried to sand it. 5000grit. better for a bit, maybe a couple of weeks.

on the old site someone had removed led screen and replaced that.

just bite the bullet, buy a new meter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 2/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, AKATV said:

Hi

Depending on your issue you are having I might be able to help you out

I have been repairing Speedometers for the Foreman 450s and ES/FE and older Rancher 350ES for awhile now

Most people found me over at the the old Honda Foreman and Honda ATV sites

Some of the problems that happen to the Speedometers are the inner display screen gets sunburn/UV damage and kind

of discolors or looks melted so you cannot read the the display.

Lately, I have seen a lot of ones that are completely blank (will light up when headlights are on but nothing on the screen at all) due to bad circuit card

the common problem causing that seems to be jumping atv off a car with no battery in the ATV -at least thats what the owners said 

Also, if you run without a battery or let sit a long time with dead battery(usually 8 months or longer, most time its years)

the speedometer will do weird things as have no gear position indicator or will read KM instead of MPH and the hours and mileage will change to all 9's

or some astronomical number like 500,000 miles etc.

Those issues can be reprogrammed, which I do and I am currently working on figuring out fixing the sunburnt screens as well

I have found lately that a lot of people sending in theirs for reprogramming have needed more than programming as their inner screens were cracked or circuit cards were water damaged etc...Unfortunately at this point I have run out of spare parts to support timely repairs unless yours just needs programming

I had a few salvage speedometers and would pick up a broken one here and there when I saw them but my local area has been picked clean now

If anyone has a lead on parts speedometers or a few bad ones laying around let me know what you want for them, just need the inner circuit card portion

so thay are cheap to ship

Let me know if you need repair and if anyone has a lead on parts speedos let me know and we can work it out

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

too bad you joined up here too late !, i've tossed many of these boards right in the trash, when i rebuild/restore models with these ?, they get new for showing no miles/hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
On 2/14/2020 at 10:11 AM, jeepwm69 said:

hey jeep;  got my circuit board out, plan on shipping it out. i run slow, in my old age. maybe i'm just layed back, till, i have ta be. gotta step outside soon tonight ta hay horses. it's pouring. thank God i only got two horses, and they are easy keepers..

Edited by LedFTed
had to
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 2/14/2020 at 3:11 AM, shadetree said:

just bite the bullet, buy a new meter.

 hey Shade; AKATV,  is the guy i been looking for. if he can fix screen, it beats spending $399. i listen, when i shift. dont need a screen to shift, i go by sound/rpms. it's nice to have a screen, but not necessary.

How's your termite protection going, on cabin. I like it. i only got 2 liter's of used motor oil left, i mean termite protection. lols, i used old oil in micky trap. i'm set up with propane in mole hill removal. Got small dolly to haul tank., hose from tank. an aluminum rod, for to poke a hole in ground. just need warm weather. i mean warm an dry weather. Someday never come's. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

AKATV; i got package in mail today. man that package was wrapped up. good job of wrapping. i'll put it back together soon 😀:~}

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Glad to hear it made it back safely!

Let me know once you get it all back together and all is well

Fingers crossed  that you get some warm dry weather there soon

Dont feel bad, I still have 18" snow on ground and its 2 degrees out

I love Winter but this time every year Im about ready for some change

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AKATV said:

Glad to hear it made it back safely!

Let me know once you get it all back together and all is well

Fingers crossed  that you get some warm dry weather there soon

Dont feel bad, I still have 18" snow on ground and its 2 degrees out

I love Winter but this time every year Im about ready for some change

for every time there is a season. like like the season is for too much rain here.

Edited by LedFTed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...