bigcountry78

Swamp fox, or bear claws

Yes sir, another tire thread. However, let’s keep it to experience with these two tires as they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I can get a set of bear claws for $360, or swamp fox for $399. If I keep my rancher I’ll go with the factory sizes, 24’s front and rear. 

Primary use is the upstate of SC, near the broad river area. Mostly hard pack trails and gravel roads, occasional red clay mud but only what’s necessary to get down the roads. I’m not much for playing in the mud anymore. I do live in western NC, and ride on Brown Mountain some. Those trails are hard pack, some rocks and minimal mud. We get snow about once a year too, so mainly looking for a good all around tire.

I’m looking at the standard bias ply bear claw, not the HTR, and the standard swamp fox. And these will be for a 2001 rancher, 4x4.

IMG_6608.jpeg

IMG_6610.jpeg

Edited by bigcountry78

Zero experience with swamp fox but great experience with bear claws.  I have them on the rear of a kawi bayou 220.  Tough, have little wear/ tear and light.  Its kind of impressive how well that thing gets around with those tires.  

I think you're making the right call staying stock size.  If this is a machine just for riding around, I am sure you don't want it broken down all the time.  The mechanic that works on my ATVs regualrly tells me about all the repairs he has to make because guys go with oversized/overweight tires.  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 11:29 AM, walhonding300 said:

Zero experience with swamp fox but great experience with bear claws.  I have them on the rear of a kawi bayou 220.  Tough, have little wear/ tear and light.  Its kind of impressive how well that thing gets around with those tires.  

I think you're making the right call staying stock size.  If this is a machine just for riding around, I am sure you don't want it broken down all the time.  The mechanic that works on my ATVs regualrly tells me about all the repairs he has to make because guys go with oversized/overweight tires.  

I’ve figured out the hard way that bigger and heavier tires have way more negatives than positives. I like the stay with what the engineers designed the machine to work with. I now I broke that rule to put 25’s on, but buying used you have to work with what you find. If I’m buying new, I’m gonna put the factory size back on.

10 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

I’ve figured out the hard way that bigger and heavier tires have way more negatives than positives. I like the stay with what the engineers designed the machine to work with. I now I broke that rule to put 25’s on, but buying used you have to work with what you find. If I’m buying new, I’m gonna put the factory size back on.

You can go up an inch or two and size without really seeing any drastic issues. I run light 26s on my daughters 300 and my other daughters 350 rancher without issue.

I had to do a gear reduction for heavy 27s on one of my 500 foremans. Tire weight definitely makes a difference

• Like 1

Bear Claws hands down. Swamp fox are decent but weather check out before they are worn out.

• Like 1

Ive had both, the BCs seem to last forever but the grip wasnt as good so i couldnt wait for them to be worn lol. the other was softer & grippier but didnt last as long.

• Like 1

Swamp foxes don't hold up. which is a shame they are a nice looking tire. If you buy them just put tubes in them from the start. Won't be long needing them anyway. The bearclaws do hold up quite well, not bad tire but not great either. I've been wanting to try the new Bearclaw XL with deeper lugs to see if that improved anything.... So between the two the Bear Claw gets my vote.

1 hour ago, Mac102004 said:

Swamp foxes don't hold up. which is a shame they are a nice looking tire. If you buy them just put tubes in them from the start. Won't be long needing them anyway. The bearclaws do hold up quite well, not bad tire but not great either. I've been wanting to try the new Bearclaw XL with deeper lugs to see if that improved anything.... So between the two the Bear Claw gets my vote.

if only they still made mudbugs......

22 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

if only they still made mudbugs......

Such a shame isn't it. One of the greats. The Zilla's have grown on me some, but they aren't nearly as durable as the bugs were.

For my first post I would recommend ITP Mudlites. They are a great all around tire, that are competitively priced. They run smaller than claimed size which is similar to most other aftermarket tire options. 

4 hours ago, SJC3081 said:

For my first post I would recommend ITP Mudlites. They are a great all around tire, that are competitively priced. They run smaller than claimed size which is similar to most other aftermarket tire options. 

i 2nd the itp mudlites, i've used them on all my own rides, and projects. they are 6-ply, not heavy, and take me through anything i'm brave enough to ride through. everyone has their own tire brand, i get this, but myself..i'll swear by the itp mudlites.