toodeepmember

What the!!!!!

My Grandma washed aluminum foil --- nothing wrong with saving bacon grease , you can put it in a ice tray , freeze it then put it in a container for cooking purposes 

image.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

My Grandma washed aluminum foil --- nothing wrong with saving bacon grease , you can put it in a ice tray , freeze it then put it in a container for cooking purposes 

image.png

Yup mine did too with bacon grease..... when I was a youngster I just had to ask...... we lived during the depression eara .......you saved things you wouldn't normally save.... after that long story.... I never asked again, but learned quickly you don't waist things...in this family....she made the best green bean I have ever eaten....n used bacon grease.... not healthy but southern food has never been known to be very healthy, but by far is the best tasting food....I don't know bout alumni foil.....she wrapped her paint brushes in heavy foil... that was about the strangest thing I ever saw foil used for ....I guess there had to be a reason ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Yup mine did too with bacon grease..... when I was a youngster I just had to ask...... we lived during the depression eara .......you saved things you wouldn't normally save.... after that long story.... I never asked again, but learned quickly you don't waist things...in this family....she made the best green bean I have ever eaten....n used bacon grease.... not healthy but southern food has never been known to be very healthy, but by far is the best tasting food....I don't know bout alumni foil.....she wrapped her paint brushes in heavy foil... that was about the strangest thing I ever saw foil used for ....I guess there had to be a reason ? 

I still save bacon grease.  Works great for reseasoning cast iron, slather it on a potato before you bake it (makes the skin taste good), use in green beans (ham hocks work well too).

As for wrapping paint brushes, keeps the bristles from drying out and getting hard.  Clean them well in thinner, then wrap in foil.

• Like 2

Yup..... I forgot about her old iron skillet ..... I made a mistake one time.... back years ago I washed that skillet ...... I then learned you didn't mess with her cooking iron.... it was never to be washes, just wipe clean... n it's good to go... I never heard of coating the skin on a tater before... thanks! ...... I'm on a restricted diet... but that I've got to try least once...yeah her green beans were great... also used on collard greens n turnip greens.... n a combo of bacon grease n red wine viniger on spinach....... as for turnips... I just like black pepper... never tried anything other type of seasoning.. on those..I should have posted this in the food thread.... y'all move it... if need be... I'm good with it.. 👍🏻👌🏻🤙🏻

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Yup..... I forgot about her old iron skillet ..... I made a mistake one time.... back years ago I washed that skillet ...... I then learned you didn't mess with her cooking iron.... it was never to be washes, just wipe clean... n it's good to go... I never heard of coating the skin on a tater before... thanks! ...... I'm on a restricted diet... but that I've got to try least once...yeah her green beans were great... also used on collard greens n turnip greens.... n a combo of bacon grease n red wine viniger on spinach....... as for turnips... I just like black pepper... never tried anything other type of seasoning.. on those..I should have posted this in the food thread.... y'all move it... if need be... I'm good with it.. 👍🏻👌🏻🤙🏻

Slather a potato with bacon grease, sprinkle some garlic salt and black pepper on the skin, and bake.  If you put an aluminum nail in the middle it will heat the potato from the inside as well and cook it faster, keeping the skin from drying out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Slather a potato with bacon grease, sprinkle some garlic salt and black pepper on the skin, and bake.  If you put an aluminum nail in the middle it will heat the potato from the inside as well and cook it faster, keeping the skin from drying out.

Never heard about an aluminum nail 

You n me both..... I've got some rather large aluminum gutter nails....might have to find a rather large 🥔 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Yall should try it.  My family has always had a bunch of aluminum nails in the misc drawer in the kitchen for baked potatoes.  Just make sure whatever you use is safe for food.  You don't want chemicals or metal leaching into your food.

Potatoes are much better actually baked than they are in the microwave.

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yall should try it.  My family has always had a bunch of aluminum nails in the misc drawer in the kitchen for baked potatoes.  Just make sure whatever you use is safe for food.  You don't want chemicals or metal leaching into your food.

Potatoes are much better actually baked than they are in the microwave.

I think Leaching is for real , have people over all the time , tell me I should not be cooking in my Grandmother's aluminum Magnalite pots , because of that 

also have heard many times about drinking out of aluminum cans can cause dementia or Alzheimer's from particles from leaching collecting in your brain

Your right potatoes are better in the oven , BBQ pit or burned in a fire 

16 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

How do you know it is safe for food ?? 

Well I'm using the ones my grandmother had in her kitchen LOL.

I'd say getting some that are specifically made for the purpose you SHOULD be safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Potato-Spud-Baking-Nails/dp/B002UC9JC6/ref=asc_df_B002UC9JC6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198068498826&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10670113662006573816&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026054&hvtargid=pla-348348538300&psc=1

• Like 2