AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

Update.....I sent my combination meter (speedometer) to AKATV and I couldn't be happier. With the speedo now working, this has totally cured shifting issues and other minor hiccups engine related. If anyone is having mysterious driveability problems, and the speedo doesn't work,  I strongly recommend getting it fixed. The service this gentleman provides is impeccable. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my machine back from the shop. (98 Foreman 450 ES)

When it went in, the ignition worked and the display would light up and register the appropriate numbers/letters.

It would turn over.  It had spark.  It had compression. It would not start.

The shop had it for over 3 months chasing the issue around.

They put in a new ignition module and pulled the speedometer module.  They swear it's the display/speedometer module, but they cant find one.

They assured me it is generating spark (I need to check manually still), they did not know if it had compression (it did, but i cant check it now, it will not turn over, manually by myself...how do i do that?)

I got my machine back.  The speedometer module has clearly been disassembled and tampered with, plug broken.  It no longer works.  Screen does not even light up.

Probably because the ignition no longer works.  It's dead to the world.

Any suggetions out there from Foreman land?

Thanks, JD

IMG_0636.jpeg

Glad to see you made it over here, welcome to the forum!

Seeing how these will run without a meter even plugged up to the machine, the mystery deepens

If this was a Honda dealership and they broke your meter plug because they did not know how to get it apart,

that alone speaks volumes about their service and technical proficiency.

I would be hitting them up for the cost of a replacement plug and or meter or see what they are willing to do

I can repair it for you anyways, but it wont impede function the way it is, you just need need to keep it waterproof for now

As far as you ATV issues at this point  we need to confirm, that you have spark, fuel, and compression

Other members will be along to help soon as well

-AKATV

• Like 1

Update #2:

Finally made it out to the barn today...

Compression tops out at about 90

No spark

Fuel good

Fully charged battery, no electrical signal after turning on ignition

The plot thickens...

25 minutes ago, JDATV said:

Update #2:

Finally made it out to the barn today...

Compression tops out at about 90

No spark

Fuel good

Fully charged battery, no electrical signal after turning on ignition

The plot thickens...

the very first thing you need to do is, get a 12 volt dc test light. start testing the fuses at the fuse block, see if you are getting power through all the fuses, spec the main ignition fuse !. now go to the ignition switch, at the ignition switch plug, ( where the ignition switch plugs into the wire harness ), test to see if you are getting power to there on the wire harness side, if you are ?, then plug the ignition switch back in, start probing the wires leading to switch ( key end ) with key off, you should have power to key on red wire, with key on, you then should have power coming out of key back through some of the wires, most honda's have power coming back out of key switch on black wire, and pink wires. you are looking for power going into switch with key off, and power coming back out with key on. if this atv sits in a barn ?..mice love barns..and they love to chew on wires on atvs !..lol. sooo..this is a task of tracing down the wire harness..from battery..all the way through every inch of the harness..yes..i know this is a huge task ?..but it must be done !. check  all grounds, all connections, reg/rec, stator, speed sensor, everything !. pretty sure that model has a speed sensor ?, with it being a ele shift, it may also have a gear position indicator on the meter ?..i don't remember if it has all 3 on the meter ?. i had a '98 trx450fm yrs ago, it just had the speed sensor, no gear showing on meter that i recall ?.

AKATV, can I get your contact info got a couple meters I need repaired. Thanks 

Welcome to the forum

Let us know what you have going on, 

Maybe post a picture or two with  a few details

and we can take it from there

Contact information has been sent as well

-AKATV

AKATV,

I just purchased a 1999 Foreman 450 ES, the display worked previously but appears the be sun faded. When turning on the lights, it illumines and I can barely make out where it says gear position. Neutral and Reverse lights still operate correctly. Would you care to send me contact info? 

IMG_1023.jpg

Hi

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pictures-it helps a lot

I will send my contact information to your message box

-AKATV