Jump to content
Steviejim

Speedo/ meter cover

Recommended Posts

Anybody have a meter cover in decent shape that will fit my 01 TRX500FA RUBY?

mine is scratched to bad to sand and buff out!

If ya have one will buy, trade , steal or borrow!! For it!

 Thanks yall!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
Posted (edited)

i was looking for a cover that block's the sun, since i got to leave atv outside, till, i buy a tent, anyway. this is still a problem, i.e. , even if you ride during the day, put up atv, the sun can cause damage. better UV filtering would help. just think about it.

Edited by LedFTed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
Posted (edited)

Ha Ha Ha, still good advice.

Edited by LedFTed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

For a cheap atv cover just go to your Honda dealer and ask if they have or could save a few crate covers. They should be free and could be secured in many different ways.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Pricing a new cover for Combometer I cant believe what they want for a new one!!!

Better off buying a whole new meter, and trying to find used no luck, went through Powersports Nation and they have every nut and bolt except the cover, I guess they get bought up before they even hit the market,  go through ebay every so often, no luck yet. I will live with mine i guess until I can find one that wont break the bank!!

 Thanks guys!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

That cover (just the cover) is the same on the 01-04 TRX500FA, 98-01 TRX450s, 00-06 TRX350 TM - FM- TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks Toodeep!

that actually makes it a little cheaper!!

Dont figure??

but then again once you punch in its for a Ruby I think the price automatically goes up 20%. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

If you look on inside of speedometer cover, what is the code in there?, AES, ABS, or something else?

I might have a used one for you, how bad off is yours?

You can clean them up pretty good with a razor ( I know it sounds hokey) but have you seen this video?

When I first watched the video I, jumped back and said daaaannnngg.. when he first tore into it with the razor blade- shavings going everywhere....lol

but he knows what he is doing, and I tried it ( a little easier haha)  but it worked very well on the clouded up covers and beats paying 65.00 + for a new cover

Just be careful with the carburetor cleaner, as it will wipe the letters right off the led lights-you can see his wipe off a bit in the video

I love this video, simple and straight to the point.... listening to him reminds me when my grandfather would teach me some way of doing something back in the day

 

 

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

AkA,

Thanks for offerin the cover and video.

heres what I ended up doing.

 I found a video where a guy sanded out his lens with 2000 grit wet paper then Polished it out with compound and a wheel rag. I used just plain car wax to polish mine after sanding and it came out crystal clear, like new!

 It really worked great took all scratches, discoloration every flaw on the screen was totally gone. Process is sand with the 2k wet paper keeping it very wet for about 20 mins going in one direction-only! Then just wax it out. I had some pretty good scratches in it also and it really came out brand new! Paid 6 bucks for the paper so really a very cheap fix. Sounds like the same process as blade scrape!  Only issue now with screen is a dot about dime size inside the speedo itself, dont know what that is it just showed up one day when I turned it on. We headed out to camp for last week to get away from everyone for a while and brought screen with me and did it there, you really could not tell the difference between a brand new one and mine when finished! If you ever need to do one you will be really impressed with results!

Thanks again!!

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I used the same stuff for polishing head lights. The latest kit I bought was the easiest.  Meguair’s headlight polish. Comes with a scuff pad and some compound.   after rubbing and wiping clean you spray a clear coating over it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hey Fish, ya know anything about what causes those spots to show up on the meter display? It looks just like the color of the numbers on the readout, its just a bug round dot and it blocks everything under it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I need to polish out this 06 500 meter.  Wonder if Don's razorblade trick will work on the newer meters?  @AKATV you're the meter expert.  What you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi Jeep
I’ve had good luck scraping and polishing 

most all of the outer speedometer cases
If your foreman 500 has the same white fogging on it, I think it’ll work great Basically the white fogging is just UV damage to the clear plexiglass outer layer and the clear plastic on all these meters seems to be of the same manufacture

You just want to get down to a good base layer, you can do the same thing by just polishing but it just takes a lot longer to get down through the layer

I find that the razor blade scraping followed by a polishing seems to work just as well and that way you don’t have to neutralize your JB 88 with your JB 80 😀

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Steviejim said:

Hey Fish, ya know anything about what causes those spots to show up on the meter display? It looks just like the color of the numbers on the readout, its just a bug round dot and it blocks everything under it out!

There’s two kinds of spots that happen on the meter displays internally, one is caused by UV damage to the polarizing films on the LCD display glass caused by sunlight and it will have kind of a burned appearance.Sometimes you’ll be able to see the numbers faintly through it, sometimes not

The other kind of spot is a defect I see that generally happens with the 450S meters

 I have seen it on others, but I don’t see it very often, but you’ll have an internal defect on the liquid crystal display that will cause a black area usually in the form of a circle or similar blob shape that will obscure everything on the display under it

I call it an ink spot, as that’s what it looks like but it’s an internal failure of the liquid crystal display and cannot be repaired,
the display must be replaced.

As far as I’ve found, it’s not caused by sunlight , impact, water damage etc.

it seems to be a manufacturing defect that takes some time to go bad,my feeling is that it might be caused by hot/cold temperature cycles but have not been able to pin it down as it happens so infrequently

 

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, AKATV said:

Hi Jeep
I’ve had good luck scraping and polishing 

most all of the outer speedometer cases
If your foreman 500 has the same white fogging on it, I think it’ll work great Basically the white fogging is just UV damage to the clear plexiglass outer layer and the clear plastic on all these meters seems to be of the same manufacture

You just want to get down to a good base layer, you can do the same thing by just polishing but it just takes a lot longer to get down through the layer

I find that the razor blade scraping followed by a polishing seems to work just as well and that way you don’t have to neutralize your JB 88 with your JB 80 😀

 

This one has some fine scratches all over it, to the point of clouding up the display.

 

I might try the razor.  I've watched a video on polishing up boat gauges but the razor blade seems like it might speed the process up a little.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
18 hours ago, AKATV said:

There’s two kinds of spots that happen on the meter displays internally, one is caused by UV damage to the polarizing films on the LCD display glass caused by sunlight and it will have kind of a burned appearance.Sometimes you’ll be able to see the numbers faintly through it, sometimes not

The other kind of spot is a defect I see that generally happens with the 450S meters

 I have seen it on others, but I don’t see it very often, but you’ll have an internal defect on the liquid crystal display that will cause a black area usually in the form of a circle or similar blob shape that will obscure everything on the display under it

I call it an ink spot, as that’s what it looks like but it’s an internal failure of the liquid crystal display and cannot be repaired,
the display must be replaced.

As far as I’ve found, it’s not caused by sunlight , impact, water damage etc.

it seems to be a manufacturing defect that takes some time to go bad,my feeling is that it might be caused by hot/cold temperature cycles but have not been able to pin it down as it happens so infrequently

 

It does seem like some of the juice leaked out and is stuck there, you can see tiny pin spots that seem to have fallen out of the dot and settled onthe bottom of the display leaving little clear spots in the dot almost like pixels on a tv screen. Hopefully wont get worse I can live with it as long as it doesn’t cover up much more.

 Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...