bladams85

1986 TRX 350 Fourtrax

bladams , I can see a gem there , with a good washing it will look really good , the plastics seems in good shape in the pics ....

• Like 1

They sure did go to work on that foam filter ... Just one question where's the metal filter cage, and bracket ? 

Number 12 , and 20 in this pic 

image.jpg

image.jpg

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

They sure did go to work on that foam filter ... Just one question where's the metal filter cage, and bracket ? 

Number 12 , and 20 in this pic 

image.jpg

image.jpg

In that pic the metal filter was sitting in a bucket of gasoline getting a much needed bath. Lol

• Like 1

Ran into an issue today. Frozen brakes. I ordered the parts but it's gonna hold me up a few days. Going to start on the shifter on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone. 

IMG_20200327_123845937.jpg

IMG_20200327_123858552.jpg

IMG_20200327_124648435.jpg

IMG_20200327_123855870.jpg

• Like 2

you call them brakes bad ??..lol. those are clean compared to what i've seen on these models..lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you call them brakes bad ??..lol. those are clean compared to what i've seen on these models..lol.

Lol I don't doubt it but the shoes are shot and they are frozen in the "stop" position lol. 

Anyone ever take a shifter rod out of a 350a? I have a sticky shifter and am working on it now. Do you have to take both crank case covers off, or just the shifter side? 

1 hour ago, bladams85 said:

Anyone ever take a shifter rod out of a 350a? I have a sticky shifter and am working on it now. Do you have to take both crank case covers off, or just the shifter side? 

you could just take the left side off, and pull the shift rod ?, but !!, it wont line back up correctly on the clutch side when you install it back in !. this means the right side ( clutch cover ) will need to be removed in order to line everything back up. if you do not do it this way ?, you run the risk of it not shifting right.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, bladams85 said:

Is the shifter lever hanging down and not returning to position? That could be broken shifter spring 

Probably dry shaft seal

try spraying some oil on the shaft seal—maybe it’s just dirty and corroded. You can clean the shift shaft if the surface spray doesn’t work—remove the left case but be careful not to dislodge the shift shaft when you take the cover off—if you do this. You have to remove the center prop shaft, but if you follow thr manual explicitly then it’s something you csn complete betweebreakfast and lunch. Especially use a thick cloth when prying off the front of the prop shaft.

spray everything with Deep Creep first and gradually apply torque to the bolts as you remove them.

EA6DE448-82BA-4EBB-B8E5-D148E08D712B.jpeg

AB5D24ED-9260-4B58-9499-99D1AA0EC25B.jpeg

Edited by Goober

8 minutes ago, Goober said:

Is the shifter lever hanging down and not returning to position? That could be broken shifter spring 

Probably dry shaft seal

try spraying some oil on the shaft seal—maybe it’s just dirty and corroded. You can clean the shift shaft if the surface spray doesn’t work—remove the left case but be careful not to dislodge the shift shaft when you take the cover off—if you do this. You have to remove the center prop shaft, but if you follow thr manual explicitly then it’s something you csn complete betweebreakfast and lunch. Especially use a thick cloth when prying off the front of the prop shaft.

spray everything with Deep Creep first and gradually apply torque to the bolts as you remove them.

EA6DE448-82BA-4EBB-B8E5-D148E08D712B.jpeg

AB5D24ED-9260-4B58-9499-99D1AA0EC25B.jpeg

I think it is the spring because it is not returning after a shift. I have the drive shaft out and will be working on the cover tomorrow. I have a spring for it already just in case just hope the rod isint bent.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the spring is on the right side. If the shift lever is floppy is most likely the spring.

Then you’ll need right and left side OEM gaskets

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Unfortunately the spring is on the right side. If the shift lever is floppy is most likely the spring.

Then you’ll need right and left side OEM gaskets

ummm..no bro, the return spring for the shifting shaft is on left side, right under the ratchet paw wheel.

you can see the spring in Gobber's first pic , right behind the yellow circle 

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

you can see the spring in Gobber's first pic , right behind the yellow circle 

yep, i have never seen a spring break ?, but i have seen that stud post snap off in the side case !.

40 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ummm..no bro, the return spring for the shifting shaft is on left side, right under the ratchet paw wheel.

DOhh 

i was looking at this IPB—sorry bout that—well now that brightens up that picture!

18D4632D-9384-49A7-BBBB-9853D01DF681.jpeg

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

Sorry about that! I had the springs changed on my work quads but that was before i started wrenching my own. 

dang how do you change the spring without pulling the shaft?

23 hours ago, Goober said:

Sorry about that! I had the springs changed on my work quads but that was before i started wrenching my own. 

dang how do you change the spring without pulling the shaft?

you cant !..lol. you must pull the shaft all the way out in order to replace, get at it. which means, you also must pull the right side cover, or..risk trying to get the shaft to line back up correctly on the shift arm on the clutch side.

• Thanks 1

I have one in my goody box—I got it from Rob several years ago. 

i had never looked at it before 

0F75FF93-EB11-41E9-8248-B78C2F1BF32D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Goober said:

I have one in my goody box—I got it from Rob several years ago. 

i had never looked at it before 

0F75FF93-EB11-41E9-8248-B78C2F1BF32D.jpeg

good pic !, but i know how they are made...sigh..i need a life huh ?..lol.

• Haha 1

You have an exciting life! Wrenching on quads and being the best at it! Beats squinting at a screen all day.

Here’s a better pic of that spring install

D356DC41-0887-4868-B504-48AF609758A8.jpeg

• Like 1

Update! I got the shifter shaft out and the return spring post was indeed the culprit. It broke off some how and I had to use an easy out to get it out. I ordered a new one and am just waiting for it to come in. I have a question also on the brake cylinders when I got them off and apart there seems to be some white stuff in them (see pics) is that right? What is that stuff? 

IMG_20200327_123855870.jpg

IMG_20200417_160008947.jpg

IMG_20200417_160021875.jpg

IMG_20200417_160039798.jpg

IMG_20200417_160153909.jpg

that white stuff is oem factory grease they put in there from the factory.

• Like 1