Jump to content
bladams85

1986 TRX 350 Fourtrax

Recommended Posts

Here are the first pics if my TRX 350 resto. Stay tuned for more as the weather warms and here in MI and I dig into it!  The 1987 TRX 350D foreman next to it will be a future build also. 

IMG_20200318_115529133.jpg

IMG_20200318_115555431.jpg

IMG_20200318_115508119.jpg

IMG_20200318_115459466.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Plastics look to be in good shape and all there (including the 86 stripes). It should be a nice machine once finished.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Wow, those are clean looking old machines.  I have a few carcasses scattered around and figured at some point I'd try to put one or two together out of them.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Plastics look to be in good shape and all there (including the 86 stripes). It should be a nice machine once finished.

 

 

Thanks! It is in nice shape. The plastics are all original and in tact no cracks or issues even have the side covers still!  It has been sitting right there for 8 years now. The engine still rolls over easily though so I don't anticipate any real issues. Just need some warmer weather here!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

very nice !, maybe try to locate the front rack to complete it ?.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Originally they didn't have racks so which way is really complete? lol. If you do want a rack keep it then original add on style.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Originally they didn't have racks so which way is really complete? lol. If you do want a rack keep it then original add on style.  

well, your correct, they did not come with racks from the factory, but they do look 100% better with a front rack.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, shadetree said:

well, your correct, they did not come with racks from the factory, but they do look 100% better with a front rack.

I am going back and forth on the front rack. This machine never had one and I love the look of it. However I like the utility of the front rack as well. Do you have to drill holes in the plastics to add the front rack? Also if you were looking for one where would you start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Nice , you got some 350 Foreman guys here to hang with  ----looks like you have holes there already ???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, Fishfiles said:

Nice , you got some 350 Foreman guys here to hang with  ----looks like you have holes there already ???

There are holes I guess the factory plastic mounting holes. I just did not know if the front rack would match up with those or not. Would it be the same as my 87 foreman 350? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Sweet even the original tires

i have two 86s. One is all farkled with every Hondaline option I could find and the other is on i have considered restoring as the base model without farkles

 

so i can recreate these photos 

A56B0CFE-45D4-4BBA-A1F6-B9351E5E8B1B.jpeg

A5AF1F34-6F1C-43EB-ACC8-215A47921631.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If I remeber right you have to makes holes for the rear braces. It's been a long time since I installed them or looked at one close.  After this wind/snow blows through i can see if my 86 parts bike has one on it. I had an 87 fourtrax i rode for years but i just had a light bar on the front (before the led stuff) and a custom rear rack just big enough for a cooler.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, toodeep said:

If I remeber right you have to makes holes for the rear braces. It's been a long time since I installed them or looked at one close.  After this wind/snow blows through i can see if my 86 parts bike has one on it. I had an 87 fourtrax i rode for years but i just had a light bar on the front (before the led stuff) and a custom rear rack just big enough for a cooler.  

That's what I'm afraid of I 100% don't want to drill the plastics. They are too nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

I think the Hondaline rear cargo carrier i think you had to drill holes for it. Cargo carrier is flat; cooler carrier has roundbracing

 

however, the cooler carrier i have you do not need to drill holes. It has four attach points—2 flanges that attach to the rear bumper (with bolts, washers, sleeves and nuts) and two that bolt to the fender mount points (replaces fender setting bolts with regular bolts, sleeves washers and nuts).

 

 

FD6D5B6A-8827-42BB-95BF-FC3109D18D6B.jpeg

E3721E60-EEA8-4C41-AF37-F0A66B257D40.jpeg

Edited by Goober

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Good looking old school tank.... I noticed. You have another one over to the right ... Any details on it ?  Also noticed the  steering stem light and sub light stone guards ....nice! , and this clamp mount  on the the handle bar is not a honda part.... And those side covers .... That's a lot of money right there. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Good looking old school tank.... I noticed. You have another one over to the right ... Any details on it ?  Also noticed the  steering stem light and sub light stone guards ....nice! , and this clamp mount  on the the handle bar is not a honda part.... And those side covers .... That's a lot of money right there. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you! Yes the mounts were from a windshield which I still have somewhere.. the other one is my 1987 TRX 350D Foreman. That will be my second build. The foreman is all original down to the tires as well and in really good shape just like the 86 is. They were bought new by my dad and I recently bought them from him as they have been sitting unused for 8+ years. I also have a 1988 Fourtrax 300FW that is in another barn. As far as I know the steering light and the stone cages on the sub lights were on it when dad bought the machine in 1986. He actually bought the 86 to replace his 200M 3 wheeler and TRX 200 2wd fourwheeler after I was born in 85. My Dad's cousin still has the 200M 3 wheeler on the farm as well!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

flip the front fender upside down, under there is the pre-cutout places where the front rack support bars would poke through, you can see the mounts on the upper frame right under where the cut outs will be if you decide to mount a front rack. your hardest problem will be locating a front rack !..lol.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

My hardest part would be putting holes in a good fender that is almost impossible to replace. We all build our machines to suit our purpose though. With the foreman sitting there, I would probably loose the rear rack on the fourtrax to make it more original but the holes are already there for that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

The optional Hondaline front cooler carrier doesn’t require holes drilled. It attaches to the fender attachment points and has flanged downtubes that bolt to either the stock or accessory bumper 

 

if i can find one ill post it up

DCEF14A7-162F-4DA8-86BC-8CB27FE1AE57.jpeg

47EA24F5-B68A-4CC1-9E24-AAF408730660.jpeg

9A6306E4-CD67-456A-8C82-D94559D7081F.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Goober said:

The optional Hondaline front cooler carrier doesn’t require holes drilled. It attaches to the fender attachment points and has flanged downtubes that bolt to either the stock or accessory bumper 

 

if i can find one ill post it up

DCEF14A7-162F-4DA8-86BC-8CB27FE1AE57.jpeg

47EA24F5-B68A-4CC1-9E24-AAF408730660.jpeg

9A6306E4-CD67-456A-8C82-D94559D7081F.jpeg

 

That is perfect! Exactly what I would want! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, bladams85 said:

 

That is perfect! Exactly what I would want! 

Here one is!

5B7425EA-A47D-465E-9BD6-5471A461617D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Goober said:

Here one is!

5B7425EA-A47D-465E-9BD6-5471A461617D.jpeg

Awesome thank you! Man they want all the money for these don't they! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yeah and that one has got some damage. @_Wilson_™ Did a lot of research and put the bug in my ear that these racks are made by CMP (cambridge metal and plastics).

 

i am not sure if these were the same units as those listed in the Hondaline catalog. i have never seen a Hondaline cooler carrier—front or back. I have only seen the CMP models.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 3/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, bladams85 said:

Awesome thank you! Man they want all the money for these don't they! 

Yeah, but keep in mind PSN's prices include shipping.

 

Shipping would probably be 1/2 of that $149.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Evicted the mice in the trunk and air box today got her all washed and emptied the fuel tank. As you can see the gas was really bad! Put new gas in and the new battery and she fired right up!

IMG_20200325_123225345_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200325_141937722_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200325_123247998_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200325_123237885_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200325_123243007_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200325_123227352_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200325_123231751_HDR.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...