Saltysailor1

New Member with 2004 TRX 250

Hi! I'm a new member with a older quad in Missouri. Hubby & I both have a 2004 Honda Recon 250TM. They run great with the exception of my rear brakes sticking after I went through a patch of soupy mud a couple of months ago while out checking on the fences after a pretty severe storm!

We use them almost weekly even in the winter.....and more often in the summer! We love our quads and can't imagine getting around our 88 acres without them! 

Welcome to the site ,  First thing I would check is that the brake lever , the arm where the cables attach , moves back and forth with out sticking and has a spring action to return , the arm  gets corrosion on the cam which attaches to the lever and goes thru the brake backing plate , would bet that is where your problem is ----you might be able to spray penetrating oil around where it goes thru the brake backing plate while moving the lever  back and forth and get it to free up , might have to start with a hammer to get it to move , it might have to come apart and be cleaned up , which we should be able to walk you thru if needed 

• Like 1

Welcome Salty, your problem should be easy to correct, do as fish seys. lol😃

• Like 1

Welcome to ATV Honda sailor!

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the site ,  First thing I would check is that the brake lever , the arm where the cables attach , moves back and forth with out sticking and has a spring action to return , the arm  gets corrosion on the cam which attaches to the lever and goes thru the brake backing plate , would bet that is where your problem is ----you might be able to spray penetrating oil around where it goes thru the brake backing plate while moving the lever  back and forth and get it to free up , might have to start with a hammer to get it to move , it might have to come apart and be cleaned up , which we should be able to walk you thru if needed 

Fishfiles, I will give it a try this afternoon. another thing I meant to add is  that the left hand brake lever keeps getting jamming ....the cable pops out of the holder, but it doesn't look broken. When I line it up again then I can pull the lever and set my e-brake. 

Salty , The brake cable could be sticking , lets us know if that lever is free and we can go from there