retro

DIY Gizmo - Honda ATV Programmable Fan Control Unit

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh it was just an idea, i thought maybe someone had a better use for it ? besides, I'm really enjoying your controller unit build!, with what i have going on, it would be a while before i could even get started..... my thinking would be a simple oil pressure switch, hooked in the oil line that sends oil to upper engine (cam shaft / rocker box area. that way if the light did go off (come on)  you'd have time to shut the engine off before any damage accured, or any ideas in changes to this ???? i was just thinking outside the box.... lol.

anyways ... thank you retro, pardon me for the slight topic change. 

I wonder if you could cut the oil tube between the head and side cover , install a tee and then either one or the other , run a tube for a mini gauge or install a low pressure switch and run a wire to a light --- knowing what oil pressure it is running would be cool ------  wonder  what is the OEM spec for oil pressure 

• Like 1

no idea, i was thinking about what the oil pressure rating is myself. there was another oil cooler mod on a 300, done by drilling and taping the oil filter cap, i know some of the details were posted in the old forums, going to see if i can dig that up. 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I wonder if you could cut the oil tube between the head and side cover , install a tee and then either one or the other , run a tube for a mini gauge or install a low pressure switch and run a wire to a light --- knowing what oil pressure it is running would be cool ------  wonder  what is the OEM spec for oil pressure 

If you know of a shop that can crimp the ends on hydraulic hoses I'm sure it can be done, might be how I fix my busted hose.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBRider said:

If you know of a shop that can crimp the ends on hydraulic hoses I'm sure it can be done, might be how I fix my busted hose.....

I think you misunderstood me , I have cut tubes to the heads with hose clamps on my bikes  tying them  into the coolers  and they hold fine , I was just wondering if there is enough pressure there to see it on a gauge or trip a low pressure switch 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no idea, i was thinking about what the oil pressure rating is myself. there was another oil cooler mod on a 300, done by drilling and taping the oil filter cap, i know some of the details were posted in the old forums, going to see if i can dig that up. 

There are people who sell , drilled and tapped filter covers for an oil cooler connection -----  my 95 300 project is going to have adaptors right into the Banjo fittings , I found the  guy that makes custom fittings to do just such a thing , I ordered a couple of sets from him , have not plumbed it yet 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, retro said:

The OEM fan controller is garbage, no point in trying to keep that junk alive & functional. This custom FCU gizmo was dreamed up while @wheelsquadand I were discussing all of the faults & shortcomings the OEM FCUs have, on another failing forum. wheelsquad asked if there was anything that we could do to solve the most critical issues the OEM controllers have, so I went to work designing & testing my own circuit ideas, then we discovered the STM8S micro-controller boards and realized that all of the solutions to our questions already existed in those cheap boards. Thats when the current gizmo was envisioned and built.

Some of the problems with the OEM FCUs that we set out to solve are listed in the first post of this thread. But there are many more advantages & features provided by the microcontroller solution than is obvious, most importantly it is very high precision.

What is the price of one of these gizmos?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Retro , I am saving the old sensor for you to use on one of your next projects

We'll use an old oil temp sensor when I put your next one together for you. If ya got a junker handy you may as well save that one, since it still works?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

pardon me for the slight topic change.

There is no such thing as "Topic Change" in any of my threads. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

What is the price of one of these gizmos?

It's pretty competitively priced, IMO....

FREE + FREE Shipping! It's sorta like free beer, only ya don't gotta share your box with your buddies. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, retro said:

It's pretty competitively priced, IMO....

FREE + FREE Shipping! It's sorta like free beer, only ya don't gotta share your box with your buddies. 🙂

Lol what’s the catch? Has a built in tracker and you monitor everyone’s movements? 

So this thing actually lets the rider set the set point at which to turn the fan on/off?

Edited by freebo86
  • Like 1

There is never a catch, I'm getting too old & slow. 🙂

No gizmo games I promise.... as I mentioned it is totally free right now, as in free beer. Problem is they are still in the prototype stage. Once they go into production I will have to charge buyers the $$$ amount it costs me to produce them + a small contribution to ATVHonda, on the buyer's behalf. They will be high value/low price.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retro said:

There is never a catch, I'm getting too old & slow. 🙂

No gizmo games I promise.... as I mentioned it is totally free right now, as in free beer. Problem is they are still in the prototype stage. Once they go into production I will have to charge buyers the $$$ amount it costs me to produce them + a small contribution to ATVHonda, on the buyer's behalf. They will be high value/low price.

So this thing lets the rider set a set point at which the fan comes on? And works without the OEM FCU?

• Like 1

Yes, and allows the rider to set the temp that the fan turns off too, independently. The micro-controller has NVRAM built-in too, so once the parameters are setup in the menu they are saved until the owner changes them, no battery backup required.

The ATV owner can leave the OEM FCU on the bike if he/she wishes to, cause this gizmo is a standalone product that requires no alterations. Just recently it became available in both Celcius and Fahrenheit versions too.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

There are people who sell , drilled and tapped filter covers for an oil cooler connection -----  my 95 300 project is going to have adaptors right into the Banjo fittings , I found the  guy that makes custom fittings to do just such a thing , I ordered a couple of sets from him , have not plumbed it yet 

thats exactly what i was thinking, i looked and looked for that post, ( no dice) anyways, so you plan on doing this mod ? I'll be tuned into to that one. 

8 hours ago, retro said:

Yes, and allows the rider to set the temp that the fan turns off too, independently. The micro-controller has NVRAM built-in too, so once the parameters are setup in the menu they are saved until the owner changes them, no battery backup required.

The ATV owner can leave the OEM FCU on the bike if he/she wishes to, cause this gizmo is a standalone product that requires no alterations. Just recently it became available in both Celcius and Fahrenheit versions too.

Cool! So the next question is, can I have one? 🙂

• Like 1

Just one? LOL

Yeah, you can have one, of course, but they won't be produced until I get a 3D printer, which ain't gonna happen 'til sometime this summer.

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I was just wondering if there is enough pressure there to see it on a gauge or trip a low pressure switch 

i have the same thought, my guess would be between 3-11 psi, for the pressure switch. 

48 minutes ago, retro said:

Just one? LOL

Yeah, you can have one, of course, but they won't be produced until I get a 3D printer, which ain't gonna happen 'til sometime this summer.

Lol am I missing something? I only have ATV which is broken currently haha 

I'm gonna need several of those @retro, but expect to pay you for them.

On the 500's that I'm so fond of, a common ECU failure ONLY affects the fan, so this would not only allow monitoring and being able to control the fan settings, but would also allow those who have a failed ECU to avoid buying a new $$$ ECU because their old one stopped controlling the fan.

All of mine are currently working on my bikes, so I'm in no hurry at all.  You need to get these things mass-produced.  When faced with a "my fan doesn't work and I need a new ECU" this is a no brainer repair for all of those folks.

And I believe Jake Janekek or something like that was the guy on bookface selling those oil filter caps with the oil line fittings.

• Like 3

On 3/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, jeepwm69 said:

And I believe Jake Janekek or something like that was the guy on bookface selling those oil filter caps with the oil line fittings.

He got like $80 for the drilled filter cover , you can do it yourself fairly easy , 1/8 inch TPT tap ----there  is the another guy I bought from , me custom makes Banjo fitting adaptors , he charges about $10 each , takes two to do a cooler add on , you do have to also buy some adaptors to get to hose barb ---  it is much more out of harms way , with the drilled cover the fittings stick out the cover 

Well, I have been researching & studying 3D printers for a couple weeks and have decided that I'm gonna order a kit once our Xenforo project is underway. The model I chose has a Honda-like reputation, it is a prosumer grade printer and is highly refined and mature. So our gizmos will go into production this spring on a Prusa i3 MK3S+

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3s-kit.html

original-prusa-i3-mk3s-kit.jpg

I have a few mods in mind for it already. For sure it's gonna get a Raspberry Pi/WiFi/Touchscreen/Octoprint kit added on, along with a video camera & mount for capturing time-lapse vids that may someday end up on an ATVHonda Youtube channel. This is going to be fun!

• Like 5

I was reading , for the second time ,  the Description of the Fan Control / Temperature Gizmo that Retro has sent me and it is like a Swiss Army Knife ----  all I have to do to finish installation is the wiring , if I can get away from being the husband of a recently retired wife for a bit , I might be able to finish it  ---- I notice that after doing HoneyO' , I am either tired or not in the proper mental state of mind , kind of like brain fried and body tired , LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, retro said:

Well, I have been researching & studying 3D printers for a couple weeks and have decided that I'm gonna order a kit once our Xenforo project is underway. The model I chose has a Honda-like reputation, it is a prosumer grade printer and is highly refined and mature. So our gizmos will go into production this spring on a Prusa i3 MK3S+

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3s-kit.html

I have a few mods in mind for it already. For sure it's gonna get a Raspberry Pi/WiFi/Touchscreen/Octoprint kit added on, along with a video camera & mount for capturing time-lapse vids that may someday end up on an ATVHonda Youtube channel. This is going to be fun!

Wow , how did I miss this post !!!  The ATVHonda Channel sounds like fun !!! 

• Like 1