jeepwm69

08 Foreman 500 with PS rebuild

When I first pushed the drum on, it got caught on the pads before any of the splines were showing that the hub would slide onto.  Once I'd tapped it up on there a bit that trick would work.

I'm gonna have kids around for at least the next 17 years or so, and by then I'll be too old to be doing this stuff anymore!

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

When I first pushed the drum on, it got caught on the pads before any of the splines were showing that the hub would slide onto.  Once I'd tapped it up on there a bit that trick would work.

I'm gonna have kids around for at least the next 17 years or so, and by then I'll be too old to be doing this stuff anymore!

not talking about the axle splines for the brake drum, i was talking about the splines at the outside end of the axle where the wheel hub goes. slide the brake drum on, then slide the wheel hub on the end, use the hub bolts and pry bar to spin the axle, then as you are spinning the axle from the wheel hub, hammer the brake drum on, thats how i do it.

• Like 1

But if you cannot get that brake drum far enough up on the axle to reveal the splines that the hub slides onto, then you can't get the hub on the splines! 

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

But if you cannot get that brake drum far enough up on the axle to reveal the splines that the hub slides onto, then you can't get the hub on the splines! 

this makes no sense to me bro ???. the brake drum slides over splines right there at the brake shoes, you will never see the splines on the outside of the brake drum once the drum is over the brake shoes, then the cover goes on, then on the outside end of the axle should be more splines for the hub ?, soooo...unless i need to stay my butt on the short yellow bus ??..then i have to say your holding your head at the wrong angle !..lol.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I’ll take pics of the next one!

you do that...but i know what the rear brakes look like on the trx500's..lol.

• Haha 1

Replied to your PM.

Havent been on much in the last few days. Been in LR all week doing some training for work.

• Like 2

I have a harbor freight tire changer thingy.  It won't touch something like an Executioner, but these Mudlites are pretty pliable and the tires haven't been on the rims long, so I should be able to break them loose pretty easily to clean and grease the beads.

Guy is coming to look at it this weekend.  Friend of a friend.

• Like 3

Hey Jeep

how do you grease the steering bushing without disassembling it? I used my grease needle to grease the outside of bush but not the shaft side

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

I've never been able to do one without loosening those two 12MM bolts and giving some wiggle room in there.  Easiest with the front fender off.

• Like 2

Got the rear tires dismounted this morning.  Will clean the beads up on wheels and tires, grease them up the @shadetree way, and remount. 

I also noticed a gas smell, and the bowl on the carb was wet.  I pulled the carb, and the gasket between carb body and bowl was completely flat and dried out, so i replaced it as well.

So, need to reinstall carb and rear wheels and tires now, then HOPEFULLY it will be done, and done right. 

The little nitpicky issues that bother me are always the most time consuming.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Goober said:

Hey Jeep

how do you grease the steering bushing without disassembling it? I used my grease needle to grease the outside of bush but not the shaft side

when ithe upper bushing gets squeaky or tight on me , I will drench it with a liquid lubricant like WD40 while turning it back and forth just to try and wash some of the junk out , then I like to use Garage  Door Grease , you can get it from Home Depot , it comes out as liquid and turns to grease , spray that into the crack while turning it back and forth  and it will make it better without having to take it apart 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

when ithe upper bushing gets squeaky or tight on me , I will drench it with a liquid lubricant like WD40 while turning it back and forth just to try and wash some of the junk out , then I like to use Garage  Door Grease , you can get it from Home Depot , it comes out as liquid and turns to grease , spray that into the crack while turning it back and forth  and it will make it better without having to take it apart 

1 of 2 for me fish 😅

I wouldn't use the WD in the future. It will swell the rubber bushings a bit and in an extreme case will make it tighter and wear faster.

Silicone spray lube might do you better in that context. Love WD but not in this application.

Garage door grease is silicone grease like my sink/faucet stuff I have been harping on lol. A great quick solution IMO

On 9/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, shadetree said:

this makes no sense to me bro ???. the brake drum slides over splines right there at the brake shoes, you will never see the splines on the outside of the brake drum once the drum is over the brake shoes, then the cover goes on, then on the outside end of the axle should be more splines for the hub ?, soooo...unless i need to stay my butt on the short yellow bus ??..then i have to say your holding your head at the wrong angle !..lol.

Just did this today-

Here is a picture showing that you cannot get the rear right hub to mount on Foreman 500 if the drum does not go over the pads  

No hub mounting splines showing at all through the drum and barely any threads for hub nut, at least not on my Foreman 500-lol

On a 420 and the like, where the drum slides waaay down the axle maybe, but not on this model

On a different note- with no helper and the ATV on stands I  was able to start it and put in gear turn idle up a bit to engage clutch and

while spinning rear axle, lightly tap it on. Use caution- lol

I think these pads seem to be hair too big lately.....had to do this on like the last 3-4 sets, but I buy the cheap pads on ebay.....

Maybe the harmonic ring is raised up a hair and catching on inside of drum- not sure? Never figured out what it was good for anyways....dang engineers- lol

IMG_5900[1].JPG

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

1 of 2 for me fish 😅

I wouldn't use the WD in the future. It will swell the rubber bushings a bit and in an extreme case will make it tighter and wear faster.

Silicone spray lube might do you better in that context. Love WD but not in this application.

Garage door grease is silicone grease like my sink/faucet stuff I have been harping on lol. A great quick solution IMO

the silly'cone grease has no washing effect for me , come out to thick to start with , I fell I need something to wash some of the crud out first , it is mostly mud in my case ---- so to be politically correct on the type of cleaner / lubricant , what would be a good choice other than silicone based ---

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AKATV said:

On a different note- with no helper and the ATV on stands I  was able to start it and put in gear turn idle up a bit to engage clutch and

while spinning rear tires lightly tap it on. Use caution- lol

I think these pads seem to be hair too big lately.....had to do this on like the last 3-4 sets, but I buy the cheap pads on ebay.....

Maybe the harmonic ring is raised up a hair and catching on inside of drum- not sure? Never figured out what it was good for anyways....dang engineers- lol

IMG_5900[1].JPG

I have seen the brakes shoes too big and not fit into the drum quite a few times myself , I chalked it up to Chinese specs , I usually just sand a little off the foot of the pad where it contacts the cam and anchor point ---- then I go outside and poke ant piles with a stick , LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@AKATV 

I think these pads seem to be hair too big lately.....had to do this on like the last 3-4 sets, but I buy the cheap pads on ebay.....

id say thats why... I've seen a number of the rings taken out ... just because people have had issues putting the drum back on. 

4 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i just grind the ring down, some of them are a pain to remove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

the silly'cone grease has no washing effect for me , come out to thick to start with , I fell I need something to wash some of the crud out first , it is mostly mud in my case ---- so to be politically correct on the type of cleaner / lubricant , what would be a good choice other than silicone based ---

Try Blaster silicone lubricant or an equivalent. It is very fluid and will do the job for cleaning then use the grease for longevity.

Silicone is very water resistant. Grain of salt here... you are riding in the type of conditions I almost never see and would say that you likely already know better than most of us in this regard. 

Maybe give it a shot sometime and let us know...

blaster-lubricants-16-sl-64_1000.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

Yeah I think they make the pads a hair oversized with the idea that the drum will likely be somewhat worn down.

I gotta say, I feel like a dummy for not letting the machine do the work.  I made my 16 year old daughter rotate the left wheel while I tapped the drum on.  She weren't happy.  LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

A great quick solution IMO

quick solution ?? why not fix it right, and not have to worry about it ? 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

when the upper bushing gets squeaky or tight on me , I will drench it with a liquid lubricant like WD40 while turning it back and forth just to try and wash some of the junk out , then I like to use Garage  Door Grease , you can get it from Home Depot , it comes out as liquid and turns to grease , spray that into the crack while turning it back and forth  and it will make it better without having to take it apart 

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

quick solution ?? why not fix it right, and not have to worry about it ? 

We have been over this in other threads but we don't disagree. Take the time and grease it right.

What was being discussed was fish's method of a quick in-between services solution to cleaning it without removal.

Maybe pour some of that dare hot water mixed up with da Wintergreen stuff you'll were talking about being good for the rubbery kind of stuff , kind of like a douche , Columbus took a chance and it kind of worked out for him , LOL  ---- if everyone followed the piper , then nothing new would every be discovered , kind of plays into that saying , "  It takes someone to say or do  something stupid for someone else  to think of something smart " 

• Like 1