SlammedRanger

400ex stroker (440ex) build thread

LOL I'd have to really look into what the Compression ratio is.. The paperwork that came with the kit never listed it.. I'd have to call HL maybe..I have access to VP Race fuel where I live no issue...

20 hours ago, Wheeler said:

LOL I'd have to really look into what the Compression ratio is.. The paperwork that came with the kit never listed it.. I'd have to call HL maybe..I have access to VP Race fuel where I live no issue...

Yeah the compression ratio will decide what octane of fuel you can and should be using.

***Jetting update***

185 main jet in. Started up and instantly had to turn idle screw in 1 full turn. It was way high with just that jet change and nothing else. I let it idle up to temp and dialed in the mixture screw. Highest smoothest idle was achived at 1 3/4 turns out. It stalled at half a turn out. And anything higher than 2 it starts to idle rough and stumble and hunt. Its rained like 2 inches in the last 48 hours here so not able to go ride it to see how the 185 is. But i think im making progress for sure.

• Like 2

One more update. Got a 37 tooth rear sprocket on order. Gunna see if 14/37 may be alittle better. 14/39 was still shifting way too fast. 1st gear was pointless. I could launch in 2nd and still have to fight the front end down. I am quickly running out of gearing options though. I can get a 35 for the rear but that is it for me. The 15 wont fit in my case saver and im not taking any chances of a chain going through my case.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, SlammedRanger said:

One more update. Got a 37 tooth rear sprocket on order. Gunna see if 14/37 may be alittle better. 14/39 was still shifting way too fast. 1st gear was pointless. I could launch in 2nd and still have to fight the front end down. I am quickly running out of gearing options though. I can get a 35 for the rear but that is it for me. The 15 wont fit in my case saver and im not taking any chances of a chain going through my case.

I'm running a 16/36 With a case saver. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRX2FiveO said:

What brand case saver you use?

2 hours ago, TRX2FiveO said:

Sprocket specialties used to make unique sprockets. Check and see if there are still in business.

• Thanks 1

***Update***

185 main jet made a big difference. Still cant seem to find the rev limiter. Gunna pull the plug and see what it tells me. Im betting still rich. It pulls alot harder and it starting to power wheelie out of corners on me without me pulling up on it at all. The biggest issue i was having was getting the 18s to stop spinning lol. Once i tore through the grass it started to grip alot better. My dads back yard has a couple 150 to 200 foot trenches. So far though i am happy with the gains that were made. I did go down to a 37 tooth rear sprocket also. So im at a 14/37 rightnow. More updates to come.

• Like 1

As if i havent spent enough money on my quad this year. I got more goodies coming. Need more stopping power to slow this crazy train lol 

Gunna do a trx450r rear brake mod to compliment my front setup.

And a new lonestar +3 +1 anti vibe stem. Dropping more money!

Screenshot_20200411-202508_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200411-202447_eBay.jpg

• Like 2

I may not run motocross but I'll give you the hit in a 300" drag 🤣.  We'll see just how well that lil stroker build runs. Seriously though. I'm glad you are almost where you want to be with this build. Looks good. 

FYI you could of bought a complete 450R swing are w/ axle,brakes etc for what you spent on those parts. lol. That extra 1" helps trust me

I may not run motocross but I'll give you the hit in a 300" drag 🤣.  We'll see just how well that lil stroker build runs. Seriously though. I'm glad you are almost where you want to be with this build. Looks good. 

Thanks bud!

FYI you could of bought a complete 450R swing are w/ axle,brakes etc for what you spent on those parts. lol. That extra 1" helps trust me

I have a lonestar +1 1/4 swingarm already.

Im just wondering if the 450r rear brakes will even make a difference is all. I do know if nothing else the extra inch of ground clearance with the smaller rotor and guard will be worth it. My 400ex rotor guard catches on everything! LoL

• Like 1

Well i got the 450r rear brake mod installed. Went very smoothly. And i have to say even if it makes zero difference in stopping power. The extra ground clearance and the ease of brake pad changes from now on will have made this whole mod 100% worth it. Pad changes are atleast 80% easier. 1 bolts. Stock 400ex is 4 bolts and you have to fully remove the caliper to clean up the slides. 450r is still just 1 bolt and slides are pulled apart and ready to clean up. Ran out of brake fluid or it would be completely done. But heres a picture of the setup.

20200415_214248.jpg

• Like 3

***Jetting update***

So i dropped the pilot jet to a 48. And now if i turn the mixture screw all the way in it stays running? Not sure why. But with the 50 it would die when turning all the way in? Thats backwards. Anyway im not making any other adjustments until i can go ride it. It seemed to idle alot smoother with the 48. I know for sure the mixture screw is clean. Being that its a brand new r&d flex jet. Anyway this thing is being pretty goofy! And i feel like a 45 pilot jet is in my near future.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

***Jetting update***

So i dropped the pilot jet to a 48. And now if i turn the mixture screw all the way in it stays running? Not sure why. But with the 50 it would die when turning all the way in? Thats backwards. Anyway im not making any other adjustments until i can go ride it. It seemed to idle alot smoother with the 48. I know for sure the mixture screw is clean. Being that its a brand new r&d flex jet. Anyway this thing is being pretty goofy! And i feel like a 45 pilot jet is in my near future.

Are you sure the brand was the same? As in a Dyno Jet 48 vs Mikuni ect...

Very weird a 50 would die, but a 48 would not.. Glad your on the right track!

15 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Very weird a 50 would die, but a 48 would not.. Glad your on the right track!

Yeah im scratching my head on that one also. But what i wonder is if since i had the wrong main jet in and i have been changing them one size at a time. Maybe it was so rich it killed it? I know the 50 pilot it idled real weird. Kinda all over the place. This 48 smoothed it out a good bit. Its idling alot more consistant. But i also know that ever since i did the first rev on this new build the idle has dropped low after a rev. Which is telling me its rich. Im just shocked that this build is requiring alot smaller jets than my last 416 build. But i guess in theory its pulling alot harder. With the race port job and the bump in compression to 12:1. But when im all said and done i think i will be running a 45 pilot and a 185 main jet. The plug was a nice golden brown after my last ride with the 185 and i was really beating on it hard so i was up on that main for the majority of the ride for sure. Gunna have to do some plug chops still but i think im getting closer. If i can just figure this idle out i will be alot closer.

• Like 1

@SlammedRanger Yes I totally understand your thinking..... One thing I've learned, do not concentrate on the size of the jet (I was bad for that) rather the plug colour & way she runs! Once I get mine back together, I'm actually going to drop the pilot & possibly the main... so I do get it.. just don't worry about the jet size over how she works!!!!! 

Edited by Wheeler

***Update***

48 pilot i noticed no difference riding it. Ran almost the same as the 50. Did seem to start alittle better but still when i would rev it the idle would drop and sometimes stall. So i dropped the 45 in. I can turn the mixture all the way closed and it stalls!!! I think finally were getting somewhere. It idles pretty good. About the same as the 50 did. Alittle hunting around. If i rev it the idle still drops and more times than not it stalls. I havent gotten to take it for a ride with the 45 so im leaving it in. But check this plug out. This is idle and a few throttle blips. Zero riding. And it was a brandnew plug. Looks spot on to me? The saga continues........

20200421_205732.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

***Update***

48 pilot i noticed no difference riding it. Ran almost the same as the 50. Did seem to start alittle better but still when i would rev it the idle would drop and sometimes stall. So i dropped the 45 in. I can turn the mixture all the way closed and it stalls!!! I think finally were getting somewhere. It idles pretty good. About the same as the 50 did. Alittle hunting around. If i rev it the idle still drops and more times than not it stalls. I havent gotten to take it for a ride with the 45 so im leaving it in. But check this plug out. This is idle and a few throttle blips. Zero riding. And it was a brandnew plug. Looks spot on to me? The saga continues........

20200421_205732.jpg

looks a tad on lean side too me ?.