Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I noticed my 300ex carb wasn’t sitting correct in the 300fwd intake boot. I left it alone last week end. Went to adjust/straighten it up & tighten the clamp back down. Boot broke in half. 
 

I am going to try a local used part dealer to see if they have one, but if not can anyone help me out? I’ll pay for expedited shipping too. I “assume” a 300ex boot will bolt up the the head, but have never tried. 
 

Thanks in advance!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
49 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I noticed my 300ex carb wasn’t sitting correct in the 300fwd intake boot. I left it alone last week end. Went to adjust/straighten it up & tighten the clamp back down. Boot broke in half. 
 

I am going to try a local used part dealer to see if they have one, but if not can anyone help me out? I’ll pay for expedited shipping too. I “assume” a 300ex boot will bolt up the the head, but have never tried. 
 

Thanks in advance!

 

Just checked our new friend on eBay @1080PowersportsPartsLLC and he has your part.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Honda-Sportrax-300-Trx300ex-2x4-Air-Intake-Boot-16211-hc0-003/184364518181?hash=item2aecfb4b25:g:puEAAOSw-uRfDjIp

 

Buy it now!

Message him on here and just pay the 10 bucks. Save him the eBay hassle

 

Edit: Forgot he will have to ship to Canada so 20 bucks lol

 

Edited by oh400ex
Add info
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I'm would to suggest you pick up some Methyl Salicylate (Wintergreen Oil) for the part prior to putting it in and you got a brand new one!

 

Edit: You can get something like this if you can't find the pure product somewhere else.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-408A-125ML-Rubber-Liquid/dp/B008O9X3KS

Edited by oh400ex
Add Amazon info and link
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i thought about him... did you happen to see a 300fwd intake boot ?

 

Don't think he has one and I don't know if the 300ex boot actually works on that head but there is one available. Different part numbers so there is some change.

At the price he is asking I would take the chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

it's sure not a bad price ... another person to check would be manny ... he has an ebay store ... but... i haven't seen  in some time..... i used to have the link for it .. i still might some place ... but you could always PM him... see if he's still around . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Thx guys. I’m on my way to local place now. U have to bring ur part, & they see if they ya e one in box that matches.. talk about unorganized & frustrating. If they don’t have one, I talked to a local guy from FB 300 & he has one I can use until I get one. So not stuck for the week end anyway which is nice of him. I’ll google to see if a 300ex fits mine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Got lucky guys. They had 1 in the box. HC4 off a 93.  Wow is mine ever stretched from the 300ex carb. I have to definitely find out if a 300ex boot will bolt on. Cost me $26. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Sorry to bother all you guys... but thanks for all the links ect.

 

I'm still trying to confirm if a 300ex boot fits.. I threw a post on the FB page to see if anyone knows or is using one.. 

 

The one I bought is harder then I dunno what.. I'm going to boil it to soften it up.. It's gonna hate it's new life all stretched out! lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You might have a store near you with a commercial rubber softener.

 

It will be super brittle after boiling and may just crack without a treatment. 

See if you can find some Methyl Salicylate from a local supplier. It is so easy and you will be amazed at the rubber condition afterward.

 

Treat the part with silicone lubricant if you have nothing else after boiling. Just put it in a bag and spray a bunch on it and let it sit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

You might have a store near you with a commercial rubber softener.

 

It will be super brittle after boiling and may just crack without a treatment. 

See if you can find some Methyl Salicylate from a local supplier. It is so easy and you will be amazed at the rubber condition afterward.

 

Treat the part with silicone lubricant if you have nothing else after boiling. Just put it in a bag and spray a bunch on it and let it sit.

 

I haven't boiled it yet.. just sitting in garage on computer with tunes cranked...

 

I have silicone lube in cuboard.. 

 

Will local part stores have Methyl Salicylate?? Never heard of it before.. 

 

The one that broke was never boiled... I just "manipulated" it.. but the new to me one is HARD..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

 

I haven't boiled it yet.. just sitting in garage on computer with tunes cranked...

 

I have silicone lube in cuboard.. 

 

Will local part stores have Methyl Salicylate?? Never heard of it before.. 

 

The one that broke was never boiled... I just "manipulated" it.. but the new to me one is HARD..

 

Methyl Salicylate outside of chemical supply is called oil of wintergreen. It is in all kinds of products and is the active ingredient in most rubber restoration products.

Just boil and treat with the silicone really well you should be fine. The other one is coming and you can treat it right later lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

just to get this one on, I ran under hot water, then used a heat gun "gently" to make it flexible enough to get carb into it.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi: You can get Winter Green in drug store ask for it at the Pharmacy 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, Melatv said:

Hi: You can get Winter Green in drug store ask for it at the Pharmacy 

 

 

Really? That seems odd. Why the pharmacy? I thought it was like a chemical or something..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: You can get Winter Green in drug store ask for it at the Pharmacy 

 

Definitely not available at my local pharmacy but you can get it where hippies buy their essential oils lol

 

7 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Really? That seems odd. Why the pharmacy? I thought it was like a chemical or something..

 

You drink dihydrogen monoxide everyday and would die without it. Arguably the most powerful solvent on the planet...

 

Everything is a chemical lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, oh400ex said:

 

 

 

 

You drink dihydrogen monoxide everyday

 

Everything is a chemical lol

 

BEER??

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi: Use rubbing alcohol & winter green to soften rubber -- machinist at the Pulp Mill told me about it -- cover it if alcohol & winter green for about 5 days -- had the ratio mix but can't find it. 

Here is a picture of the bottle I got at the Pharmacy 

The Machinist even use to free up rusted bolts

Winter green.jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Pretty interesting , never heard of the winter green  stuff before today , need to remember that 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, Melatv said:

Hi: Use rubbing alcohol & winter green to soften rubber -- machinist at the Pulp Mill told me about it -- cover it if alcohol & winter green for about 5 days -- had the ratio mix but can't find it. 

Here is a picture of the bottle I got at the Pharmacy 

Winter green.jpg

Mel , 5days ?  He wants to ride this weekend , LOL 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
34 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

 

BEER??

 

i don't think that will work in this situation .... lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: Use rubbing alcohol & winter green to soften rubber -- machinist at the Pulp Mill told me about it -- cover it if alcohol & winter green for about 5 days -- had the ratio mix but can't find it. 

Here is a picture of the bottle I got at the Pharmacy 

The Machinist even use to free up rusted bolts

 

That is awesome that you can get it there!

 

Good that it says POISON on the front because it is.

 

The method you describe honestly is inferior to just using water and wintergreen oil.

Just a splash of MS and enough water to cover the part is all you need.

You need to slightly boil the solution and mix it around for 5-10 minutes. 

 

Let it cool, wipe it down and treat it with silicone spray lube. Done deal. 

You also would see better results this way than waiting days. (in my experience anyway)

It can be taken too far easily. The rubber will be softened beyond normal use but a heat gun will harden it back up if needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 9/10/2020 at 7:08 PM, Wheeler said:

 

BEER??

H2O is my guess. i tried gas once to soften rubber for my shifter, for the 46 Ford Tractor. the rubber got harder than a 8-ball. 🙂

Edited by LedFTed
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...