Fishfiles

96 TRX300A Re-restoration

This 96 300 2wd  was restored a couple of years back for my son , he don't come over and ride no more and that was why it sat up , it has disc brake conversion on the front , which is pretty rare on a 2wd 300 , it got a upper job done with a TRX250A cam , snorkeled , floor boards , 2 inch lift , only one I have that still has the 300 OEM rear end , but it was gone thru with new bearings and seals and a 250 rear end is sitting on the sidelines when needed ---- the master cylinder plunger stuck when I pulled the lever , so might get it free up or need a rebuild kit or another master --- not good to let them bikes sit 

It has set up for a while and the fuel went bad in it , yesterday I took off the carb as the choke cable or plunger was stuck and found the carb  was horrible , so while in the part shed I found a carb in a zip lock marked 1995 ready to go and it looks great , so stuck that on it , took off the petcock , flushed the tank , and when I went back with the petcock and threw some gas in it , it leaked , so back to the shed and found a good petcock , then went to start it , and it didn't , at first thought it was the carb , after a shot of starting fluid and nothing , I then pulled  the plug I found it has no fire , checked fuses , and looked at the wiring for mice damage and then  looked thru my spare parts and didn't have a second gen CDI , so after looking at Partzilla and finding a new one cost $226.92 ,  I called Rick's and got one coming for $81 and she was going to give me free 4 day shipping , I added 2  day air for $17 so $98 , the cushion which is the rubber that holds the cdi is so hard I can't get the cdi out with the fender still on , so I wanted a new cdi mount and plan to cut the rubber and get the cdi out without removing the fender , Partzilla was $10 , took a shot and called Honda locally and they had one in stock , picked it up for $13.03 , so hope that brings the fire back -----96s were terrible about CDIs going out , could not  get this cdi  to do the one fire thing with the quick push of the starter button or the kick starter 

also got a new front bumper for it and going to fix them front lights , I have two LED pods to stick in it 

This one is going to be the designated yard bike , and I am going to try and keep this one  out the woods , use it to  haul the round up sprayer and the wagon , it has some ITP Mudlites which is the least aggressive tire I have and hopefully not tear up the grass too bad 

Another interesting thing , the hose for the check valve under the carb was deteriorated , I looked on Partzilla and they want $13 for each piece of the hose , $26 for the two pieces of hose , they are crazy , the hose is 3.5mm  , might be able to dig some up 

Needs a bath and some body lotion , diamond in the rough  LOL 

IMG_6976.JPG

FgMzWpm5Q9e0Z+3EC5+DiA.jpg

• Like 4

i know you have to know about this old trick for the hard rubber cdi box rubbers , thereb aggravating for sure, lol maybe try a heat gun ? Goobers cdi baking method comes to mind with that oem cdi, worth a shot. 

33 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i know you have to know about this old trick for the hard rubber cdi box rubbers , thereb aggravating for sure, lol maybe try a heat gun ? Goobers cdi baking method comes to mind with that oem cdi, worth a shot. 

Maybe a heat gun would soften up that rubber CDI cushion , it is hard as a rock , got a new one in my hand , it is soft as  a rubber band ----  don't know if I could get a heat gun in there , cause I sure don't want to take the fender off , would have to deal with the snorkel 

The way I feel about the CDI in the oven trick  , if there was moisture in the CDI and the oven does get it out and bring it back to life , then it is going to happen again as the moisture got in thru a crack or bad seal and we live in a very wet environment , everything is soaked in the morning  

Made in Japan ,  I like it ---- Iwas lucky the dealer had the part and actually saved money , paid $3 more than Partzilla , but the freight would have been more than that and might have taken 2 weeks to get it 

fullsizeoutput_da4.jpeg

• Like 1

oh i didn't account for the snorkel.  I'd still save that cdi, goobers clames to have had good results, just tossing out ideas, might be worth a try ? 

• Like 1

I have a 2wd back there I plan to set up similarly.

Already have some 2wd 420 brakes to go on it.  Stock rear end to go in it, but a 250A in case it doesn't last. 

I've got to rebuild the engine though.  LOL

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I have a 2wd back there I plan to set up similarly.

Already have some 2wd 420 brakes to go on it.  Stock rear end to go in it, but a 250A in case it doesn't last. 

I've got to rebuild the engine though.  LOL

A 300 2wd is a fun and easy bike to ride ,  it is not the same being in 2wd on a 4wd 300 , the 300 2wd is much lighter , turns so much easier on your arms ---it you are prepared to get wet and dirty a 2wd will go just about anywhere a 4wd will , they will float when you get off and you can walk it thru 

I am glad to know the 420 shocks will also work on a 2wd , I have 420 shocks  on my Blue 4wd and took off the lift kit , they fit perfect , I was having to pry the stock shock in place when using the lift 

• Like 3

The Made in Argentina  , Rick's MotorSport No-Limit CDI arrived , we will see it that fixes the no spark problem , boy I sure hope it does , cause if it don't  , I will never hear the end of it  , maybe I should not say anything if it don't , LOL ----- got the new cushion so if the heat gun trick works I will keep the old one as a spare , if it gives me any trouble getting the old one off , the razor knife is coming out , don't want to spend all day working on 4 wheelers , LSU plays Arkansas at 11:00 tomorrow morning , so it is going to be  5:00 o'clock some where about 9:30 tomorrow morning for the tailgater party cook out they are talking about bringing shrimp

fullsizeoutput_da7.jpeg

• Like 3

I was walking to the 300 with the CDI in my hand yesterday morning , when Granddaughter yelled " Paw Paw " , never did recover from that  or get to install and try that CDI  >>>>   just broke daylight here and I am about to give it another try 

• Like 4

I saw a 300 2wd up here for sale a few weeks ago. It was tan.

1/8" hose might be able to be crammed over that 3.5 mm nipple. 1/8 is 3.175 mm. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

87 , Thanks for the 1/8 inch tip , I wrote it down on things to do pick " pick up some hose in 3.5mm or 1/8 " and I was at NAPA and forgot

Still never tried the Rick's CDI ,   didn't get home till after 4:30 this evening ---- the wife is off work  Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving , think I am going to do the same thing , so Friday might be my day to do some stuff for me , she will likely be shopping 

Got the new Rick's CDI installed  and it fired right up , sounds great ----- wasted  about 15 minutes pulling out the heat gun and trying to get the CDI out of the hardened rubber cushion  , I had a new cushion in hand , so wasn't going to bust up my hands and waste daylight ,   cut the old one off with a razor knife and stick the new one in ,  cutting it and getting the old one  out took about 2 minutes , hardest part is unplugging it ------- 

Changed the oil and filter , aired the tires , checked the air filter , greased the ball joints and tie rod ends , took it for a ride , was about to wash it and it was getting dark , so that can wait 

Problems to solve :

---------------------------

rear brake arm sticking , soaked it in Aero-Kroil and worked it , soaked it again and let it set 

front brake master cylinder plunger stuck in  

one front  light not working and has been flooded 

by-pass the reverse lock , if I am going to do yard work with this one , reverse lock has to go 

make a hose rack for the sprayer hose or cut 15 ft off 

You shouldn't let then ATVs sit up , worst thing for them

• Like 4

Gave her a bath

stopped at a NAPA today and didn't have the carb overflow / check valve  with me , so I ask for 3.5mm hose , closest they have is 1/8 inch ( 3,2mm ) gas hose , didn't work out , too tight , might be able to use the heat gun and warm it up and glue it on , LOL

the next size they had was 5/32 -------  they didn't have any 1/8 vacuum hose in stock  , which I think might work as it is more flexible and is  thinner wall  

Picked up a gallon of round up concentrated , wow, the price went up = $109  at Home Depot  , but this stuff is 2 1/2 ounces per gallon , might need a respiratory  

fullsizeoutput_daa.jpeg

LVRryDdkR0aC7NukbFDclA.jpg

• Like 1