Fishfiles

96 TRX300A Re-restoration

18 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I got a mask coming , buddy is hooking  me up , I just priced them for kicks , $125 and $12 per cartridge , so if I wear long sleeves and gloves , do it on a day with no wind , take a shower right after and wash my clothes and the mower right after wards , I might be OK , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_dc9.jpeg

you did t pay that did u? ! I get those masks & filters at work free. U tell me ur size & what cartridges u need & I’ll mail u one!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

you did t pay that did u? ! I get those masks & filters at work free. U tell me ur size & what cartridges u need & I’ll mail u one!!!

Thanks for the offer , never knew they came in sizes , wan't asked what size face I got , LOL  ----- Have one coming  supposively, no charge , let me see if this one comes thru ..... 

Here’s a great sprayer rig but not for sale anymore after some guy worked on it.

boom sprayer with an accessory wand

D8310B69-C726-439B-B896-8FCC2A7ADC70.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Weed Killer info:

I talked with my buddy who has a cmmercial weed control company , he called me about a job and I asked him a bunch of questions , this is what I learned , hesays spray before you weed eat , in the summer wait 10-14 days for the chemical to get into the weed , the winter is not a good time to spray as the weed is less active , 21-28 between spraying and weed eating ------- the dust is safe as the chemical has no residual control , once in the soil it is gone , he told me a few other things I will have to think about remembering 

one thing he did tell me , bring back the $100 a gallon Round Up for credit and come get it from him for $25 a gallon , 4 for the price of one , better stuff and it has dye added to it , I have watched him spray and you can see where the product is going with the blue dye , a trick he said if you don't have dye is to add some Dawn to the mix , the bubbles not only show where it is going , it helps the product to stick to the leaves 

The respirator is going to be here this evening , but the ground is too wet to spray at the moment 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i had forgotten about dawn, we used it in boom tank sprayers to foam mark where the  end of the boom sprayed, this is the idea. 

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

a trick he said if you don't have dye is to add some Dawn to the mix , the bubbles not only show where it is going , it helps the product to stick to the leaves 

I will co-sign on this trick. Always add just a little bit of dish soap to make it spread better.

You are using the same amount of active ingredient and it works better.

Lots of commercial products include some kind of surfactant as part of the mix. Using the dyed stuff and the respirator is a night-and-day change from my perspective.

Nice work!

Edited by oh400ex

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Dawn to the mix , the bubbles not only show where it is going , it helps the product to stick to the leaves 

that's very true, especially for wet climates, we always sprayed in less humid / windless hot days so the herbicide would dry on the weeds quickly, on days when the humity was up (dew on the weeds) an extra amount of dawn was used, dawn it's self will stunt a plant, i used a mixture of red pepper dawn, and vinegar when i raised bucket tomato plants, a few years back, not only did it control the  weeds but the fumes also kept aphids, and tobacco worms away, actually, the mixture works good as a long term burn down (didn't wish to kill the grass just stunt growth) but also a pest repellent, including rabbits, birds, chipmounks, squirrels. also.... kept the bothersome neighbors dogs away, and i never had an armadillo issue that year, 1st pic before treatment, 2nd after. you can see some brown around the bucket to the right, i had slacked off treatment  to let the grass come back. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Ya know , Mark has is 65 , says since he was 18 he had a weed control business , I know it is true , cause my best buddy Mo live next to him and Mo's dad help Mark get into business with his first tractor , he told me he  never worn a mask one time while spraying weed killer in his life and he is still alive , so go figure , I guess you can't kill bad grass , personally I think cancer is a genetic thing 

• Like 2

Dennis came up, to feed round bails, fish, he said the herbicide was spike, granulated formula, strongest you can get, and yes, you have to have an applicators permit to purchase it here, but never use it around trees you wish to keep, you might ask your friend about that herbicide, i bet he's heard of it. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, Fishfiles said:

Ya know , Mark has is 65 , says since he was 18 he had a weed control business , I know it is true , cause my best buddy Mo live next to him and Mo's dad help Mark get into business with his first tractor , he told me he  never worn a mask one time while spraying weed killer in his life and he is still alive , so go figure , I guess you can't kill bad grass , personally I think cancer is a genetic thing 

i come from a family where lots of people have diabetes, on both sides. Doctor told me i don't have the gene for that.

high blood pressure problems reside.

Edited by LedFTed

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Dennis came up, to feed round bails, fish, he said the herbicide was spike, granulated formula, strongest you can get, and yes, you have to have an applicators permit to purchase it here, but never use it around trees you wish to keep, you might ask your friend about that herbicide, i bet he's heard of it. 

My buddy Kim's wife is a agent for the Department of Agriculture  ,  one of her many expertises is she  started out as a horticulturist , I need to rack her brains on weed killers 

i wish i had remembered to ask him which type of spike he used on my road front, he was hand broadcasting it like you do spreading fescue, it's kill all the small brush the road department wouldn't chop up because of the fences, so far it's worked great, but will take a few years for the brush to rot away, I'm curious as to whether the vines will come back. Ivey has to be the worst. around here. 

image.jpg

When I see them vines walking up the tree like that  ,  I chop them with a machette , they will grow back , but it puts as serious hurt on them 

yup, i do the same, all of the giant pines, my grandfather planted those, i intend to see them live for my life time .... i also keep a check on that big monster, rooted into the top on the cave branch. (couple older pics). 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Often these weeds have a waxy coating so to get the leaf to absorb the agent, soap is used to help break the wax

• Like 2

I hate Ivy.  Dad has it all around his house in what used to be flower beds.  He said the Ivy keeps the weeds down, but I was always the one who had to clear it off the walls of the house when it would grow up on the exterior walls.

I was told you can weedeat the leaves off, then spray with roundup when new growth occurs, because new leaves won't have the waxy coating.

Haven't tried it yet.

• Like 1

I'm with you, jeep, i hate the stuff too always have to pull that mess off of two of my 3 chimney stacks, and tree trunks, around here, i can only think of one thats worse, which would be cutsue. the county, state, and land owners, do there best to control it. 

19 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm with you, jeep, i hate the stuff too always have to pull that mess off of two of my 3 chimney stacks, and tree trunks, around here, i can only think of one thats worse, which would be cutsue. the county, state, and land owners, do there best to control it. 

Here's a Kudzu vine cut off of a radio tower in Helena Arkansas (I work in Helena).

Apparently they're trying to use goats now to control it around here!

They put it in to try to control erosion, and of course, not only did it not help with erosion, but now we have a massive kudzu problem here.

https://wreg.com/news/herds-of-goats-offer-solution-to-pesky-kudzu-problem-in-helena-west-helena/?fbclid=IwAR2n_TE47txJZNb9X7-Kwd2G0fq7-Nc4RipQzyLLAd047zF-GvGFu8l0T4U

kudzu.jpg

• Like 1

back years ago, some farmers let it grow just in certain places, for cattle / livestock  to graze on, but yes! it got out of  control really quick! one of my realtor friends raises goats to help control vines (among other plants) , taking over his place, so far it's worked really well, and he hasn't had to use any herbicide as of yet, now when anyone brings up kudzu in a crowd of older long residents, they usually get a very odd look = we don't wont that mess around here! some of the newbies moving in like the vine look climbing the  trees in the yard, and on their small bit of property, yet don't do the research before planting some species, of vine, plants, etc, personally, i hate ivy, but kudzu is much much worse. 

Wow thats's a big Kudza ! 

I had 10 goats at one time , never again , destructive , smelly , nasty creatures ! LOL --- The last one was named BamBam ( Flintstones )  , he went to the State Fair and was given off as a prize of a raffle , he could pee in his mouth and that was about his only  trick , see ya Bam !!!  No more goats for me ----  LOL 

• Haha 3

yeah they are smelly, never had any myself nor sheep, and don't want any, I'd rather use mechanical methods to control vines around my trees, those trying to grown in the fence rows get sprayed, or just pulled off. i was glad when Dave sold the four he had, no telling how many times he had to go out and remove those billy goats due poking there heads through a paige wire fence, and getting hooked in... 

• Like 1

at Hobeau farm in Ocala, everybody was hacking, even the horses, from a flu., so they brought a billy-goat in for a couple of weeks. i guess they thought the ammonia in the air would kill the cold germ's. 😷 best i remember, that goat was gone before the 3rd. week.

'Ted , I know you are into horses , so here goes my thread , which is blown up any ways LOL ---- I just done a water pump and radiator repair on a dozer , the superintendent /operator I have known for a long time is named Lance , as I was driving home the other evening Lance and I talked for an hour after I called him to update him on the dozer , I never knew that he was a jockey as was his Dad which his name is also Lance , Lance Sr , he said his Dad was a very good jockey ,also he knew my ex-wifes' family who are horse trainers  ,so we talked horses for 1/2 hour ,  I am so bad with names , he told me his last name and I have forgot it , I want to say something like Elgin , but don't hold me to it , I will have to give him a call or text and find out his last name -----------does a father /son jockey combo both name Lance ring a bell ?