freebo86

Adjusted Valves runs and sounds poorly

2 hours ago, Melatv said:

Hi: From what I see the Oil Temp. sensor only brings the Oil temp light on -- no shut down.  

Sorry if I was not clear. I didn’t mean to imply that the overheat system will shut down the engine. I meant the fan will be shut down too soon.

the oil temp sensor, if the R values are too high, say 12KOhm or 13KOhm instead of 10KOhm, will not trigger the FCU to activate the fan until the sensed resistance reaches the target R of ~1KOhm. This might be 120C instead of 100C.

Likewise, when the sensed resistance falls back to ~1KOhm, the engine has still not reached the target temp of 100C. so the fan is shut down too early

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, freebo86 said:

Turn over is the same.

The plug is damp/smells a bit of fuel (or did before this overhaul). Granted, I didn't check the plug state condition last night.

Seems to me , if the engine was not starting because it was too hot , there would be some signs of over heating  showing up , like dragging of the starter , you know , the motor turning over slower than before when it was cold or maybe some  cool down ticking of the engine after the engine was stopped , when it is truly hot , they will tick when cooling ,  but you being in the Arctic Circle is different to what I am use to ----

do you have access to a  laser thermometer to see if it is truly running hot , you  might even be able to pin point  exactly where the heat is center at , if heat is the problem 

just a thought , maybe since the plug was damp , maybe it is over fueling or a  flooding out problem ---------    is the overflow tube on the carb and clear , cause it that tube is clogged and the float sticks and overflows with that  tube clogged , the fuel has no place else  to go but  into the cylinder and air box or both  ---- I think I might also look at the enrichment valve /choke , to make sure it is functioning properly 

• Like 1

Took it for a ride again, to get closer to that 2hr break in. Ran fine. I checked the oil cooler lines and their warm during the ride so I assume it’s circuiting oil. The cylinder head was very hot, couldn’t touch it. 

Got home, 10min trailer drive. Won’t fire. Pushed it off the trailer to change the oil and filter. 

Is the oil filter in the right way? Is it turning over good?

Edited by Melatv

2 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Is the oil filter in the right way? Is it turning over good?

Yes and yes. 

Does sound like oil temp sensor 

if you grounded the sensor lead and it kicked the fan on your head shouldn’t overheat as long as it’s running.

sounds like oil pump is running.
oil still pretty clean?

plug is a bit dark; you others think it’s running a bit rich?

Edited by Goober

4 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Is bike Neutral light on?

Yup. 

So how do you actually test this oil sensor. It says blue wire to ground at no way am I going to get this thing at 25C in Canada.. I pulled the switch it’s inside the house. Can it be tested just inside?

Prime the carb to see if will start --- You can test the switch inside

13 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Put the black probe on the threads

image.thumb.jpg.d86466bcf71e6fc5687744d7eff4b2d2.jpg

• Like 1

should be 9.5 -- 10.5 Kohms  --- try putting cig. lighter flame near the probe end of switch -- resistance should drop down

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Melatv said:

should be 9.5 -- 10.5 Kohms  --- try putting cig. lighter flame near the probe end of switch -- resistance should drop down

Ya so it’s out of spec. 

it does go down but I got it to about 3-3.5k and it seemed to stay. Didn’t @Goober or @retro say it activates the fan at like under 1k?

At 150 C the res. should be 306 -340 ohms.   Do this with the key on -- ground the wire that you removed from oil sensor to a bare spot on the frame --fan should start -- you don't need oil in the bike to try it.

• Like 2

To my understanding the fan control unit senses the 1KOhm step and turns on the fan. Somewhere around 230 Ohms the circuit is read as having essentially no resistance and the oil overheat light illuminates. The fan is already running at that point buts it’s about 170C

2 minutes ago, Melatv said:

At 150 C the res. should be 306 -340 ohms.   Do this with the key on -- ground the wire that you removed from oil sensor to a bare spot on the frame --fan should start -- you don't need oil in the bike to try it.

I tested this already, fan runs and is operational. 

Edited by freebo86
  • Like 1