WonderMonkey

Compressing The Shocks - Weight Loss

No sound due to copyrighted music being played in the background.

This is at a weight of 265lbs, and at a daily caloric deficit.  Yes, I know I'm too heavy, I'm working on it.

The weights I'm using are sub-par for many people.  I'm not too far from knee surgery, and the knee itself derailed me for a number of years from doing anything heavy, or intense.  I'm not really concerned with numbers, anyway, but I do like to be strong enough to do what I want.

Prior to lifts
Stretching and rolling that my body likes
5 min on the rower
5 min on bike

Basic warmup and 5x5 working sets @ 275
Set 1 - Bar (45)
Set 2 - 135
Set 3 - 225
Set 4,5,6,7,8 - 275

Auxillary lifts I didn't show
Sled pushes
Sled pulls

Farmer's Walk
10 lengths of the floor with 225, which is more (distance) than I want for this movement.  Next time I'm moving to 275 and do 5 lengths.  However, some days I WILL go for distance, just not lower body day #1 of the week.

• Like 2

I've been snowed in all week.  Been working cardio on the wife's elliptical, but weights will have to wait till the gym reopens.

there are different methods that work. course i'm light. my jump rope routine lasted 45 minutes, the rope i used was braided nylon 5/8. i still have my jump rope, its over 10' long. i'll post a picture.

18 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've been snowed in all week.  Been working cardio on the wife's elliptical, but weights will have to wait till the gym reopens.

We shovel snow and snowmobile all winter to loose weight here....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

Would be a good day to split wood. The 18 month in the house doesn’t give me a lot of “me” time 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, jeepwm69 said:

We have an elliptical but I don't use it, my wife does.  We have a tv up there that she watches while on it.  I may hop on it and start out with a small daily time to try and build my mental stamina up.

Edited by WonderMonkey

On 2/20/2021 at 4:18 AM, LedFTed said:

there are different methods that work. course i'm light. my jump rope routine lasted 45 minutes, the rope i used was braided nylon 5/8. i still have my jump rope, its over 10' long. i'll post a picture.

Jumping rope is TREMENDOUS.  I'm hoping that as I lose weight, my knee will handle it.  I used to have a routine I used for boxing.  I still box amateur but skipping rope is out due to this knee thing I've got going.  I've tried improving my form, jumping on a padded surface, etc. and it still provokes things.  It's one thing that I wish I could do and if I could, I'd eliminate some other things that I do.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 6:50 AM, TBRider said:

I'm in SE Ohio, we don't do much snow shoveling.  On the infrequent times I have to do our driveway, the weather warms up and it's gone in a few days.  I'd LOVE to have snowmobile trails around here to ride on.  I'd be on them for hours.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:53 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Would be a good day to split wood. The 18 month in the house doesn’t give me a lot of “me” time 

I enjoy splitting wood.  I don't have to do it as much as you may, but I help my BIL, nephew, brother, etc.  Great workout and a way to be outdoors.  I'm sure if I had to do it to heat my house in a colder climate, it may not be as fun, but as it stands now I enjoy it.

23 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

I enjoy splitting wood.  I don't have to do it as much as you may, but I help my BIL, nephew, brother, etc.  Great workout and a way to be outdoors.  I'm sure if I had to do it to heat my house in a colder climate, it may not be as fun, but as it stands now I enjoy it.

I like it too.  I haven't done it in a couple of years, because when the wife quit smoking in 2018, we more or less stopped using our fire pit (sitting by the fire makes her want a cig). 

So I have about 4 full cords of split oak and rarely have a fire anymore.   Needless to say, haven't been out scouring for wood that needs to be split.

• Like 1

How's everybody doing?  Here, I'm getting my bikes (pedal) ready to ride.  I have two bikes.  One is a hybrid and the other is an endurance class bike, which is a slightly stretched out road bike.  We have a nice set of connected bike paths in our area, which I use quite a bit.  I generally don't do a leisurely ride unless it's with the wife as I prefer to do workout type outings.  At first I just put in some low miles to get the rump used to the seat and legs used to things.  My whole objective is to get to where I can do 40 miles.  I picked that distance as that is what I think I can reasonably before work once a week, usually on a Wednesday.  I'll do other rides like intervals, etc. and on Saturday will be my long ride of the week.  In September I have a 100 miler on the books so that scheduled event makes me get out and train or it will suck.

I'll reduce my weight training to one full cycle of the body per week and I'll do maintenance on my boxing until it's time to get ready for my next event.

Getting outside will be great.  I enjoy my time on the bike and normally ride early, when none to little people are on the path.

If you ride a bike for fun or exercise, let me know, we can hook up on Strava.

oooh, you lost me at the bikes. 

Family and I all have mountain bikes (cheap ones) that we take to the beach with us to ride around.  I only ride with a beer in one hand, and usually a cooler over my shoulder though.

I'm still hitting the gym, although not every day.  Been watching my food intake too.  Haven't hit the scales to see if I'm going any good  yet.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

oooh, you lost me at the bikes. 

Family and I all have mountain bikes (cheap ones) that we take to the beach with us to ride around.  I only ride with a beer in one hand, and usually a cooler over my shoulder though.

I'm still hitting the gym, although not every day.  Been watching my food intake too.  Haven't hit the scales to see if I'm going any good  yet.

I have to keep doing different things else I get tired of it and get easily distracted.  I like "activity" and though there are some things I'll always do, MANY of the things are just waiting to be replaced, usually seasonally.

This is the rope i used to spin in 1985. for 45 minutes. i could get 2 spins twice, in a row, but never could turn 3 spins, once or so got close, just not quite.

the duct tape was to protect the rope. just over 134", i had to loop it 3 times on each hand, an have a bit hanging over to use it.

i dont know if i said this before, but work, is not exercise. exercise is a mindset. an a mindset helps with losing weight.

DSCN2822.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

This is the rope i used to spin in 1985. for 45 minutes. i could get 2 spins twice, in a row, but never could turn 3 spins, once or so got close, just not quite.

the duct tape was to protect the rope. just over 134", i had to loop it 3 times on each hand, an have a bit hanging over to use it.

i dont know if i said this before, but work, is not exercise. exercise is a mindset. an a mindset helps with losing weight.

It's what you need it to be, and I'm glad you found it.

• Like 1

My Grandfather use to say about work " If your not happy at work you won't be happy at home , cause you work 8 hours , off 8 hours and sleep 8 hours , you going to take your misery home from work , be miserable at home  and not sleep good " 

• Like 2

mine told me about the same find a job you love, and it's not a job, it's way of life but a heritage / legacy you will pass on, thankfully i was meant to be a farmer producer, the mechanic part came over time, but i also love that to, it can be  an ever changing deal, guess some of us were very lucky to do our homework, i must have done it right, i don't hurt for money or land, just  taxes .... sigh. lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

I never finished the Sally Up Push up challenge. We never ended up doing it for the $100. My best was 2mins 10secs. 

Now I’m attempting the 100push ups per day for a month challenge. Sure is hard at the beginning. My sides hurt, arms feel like jelly... 

• Like 3

On 3/6/2021 at 1:54 PM, Wheeler said:

I never finished the Sally Up Push up challenge. We never ended up doing it for the $100. My best was 2mins 10secs. 

Now I’m attempting the 100push ups per day for a month challenge. Sure is hard at the beginning. My sides hurt, arms feel like jelly... 

I think that's a great challenge!  How long did it take you to do, at first?  Did you have to go to your knees to finish?

• Like 1

Things are going well on my end, I'm down 40 lbs and staying steady on my strength.  My goal is to stay at 275 lbs on my squats, which is the same as I use on my farmer's walks.  Some days I'm very tired as I'm at a calorie deficient and may not get things just right, but on those days I compensate with my food intake and get my energy back up for the next day.  It's a bit of a roller-coaster, as many of you know, and one would think that I'd learn this lesson as I've been up in weight and back down several times in my life.

So, what's different this time?  Glad you asked!  I'm making sure to put events on the calendar to ensure I keep my bodyfat where it needs to be.  When I've been up in weight, I've still gotten to the gym, hiked, etc. but I need something that is PUNISHING if I don't keep the weight off.  I don't really think that putting my biking events, amateur matches, etc. on the calendar is BY FAR not the best way to have to do it, but until I get it figured out otherwise, it's what I'll do.

• Like 2

I know I could not  do a 100 push ups , maybe 40-50 and that might be wishful thinking ----went riding with the wife on the pedal bike , 5 miles and my legs felt like they were going to fall off , have not been back yet ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WonderMonkey said:

.  Some days I'm very tired .  It's a bit of a roller-coaster

Roller coaster ----- I feel the same way lately , I have a good energy day , then a bad day ---- sometimes  two bads in a row , LOL 

1 hour ago, WonderMonkey said:

I think that's a great challenge!  How long did it take you to do, at first?  Did you have to go to your knees to finish?

i started at 1.03sec. Mad me it to 2.10. It really is hard. Push ups everyday is hard as well. I’m in day 7

I'm down about 5lbs so far. 

Trying to watch what I eat, which is the hard part.  When the girls were little and it was just me and them it was easy, as a lot of nights I ate light or didn't eat supper at all (they didn't eat much back then).  Now with the wife and little one around, along with two teenagers (vs 4-5 year olds) we tend to sit and eat as a family more. 

Still at 2.5 miles/day, plan on going to 3 a day starting Monday.

I do feel a lot better since I've started exercising again.  Or maybe it's just because it's Spring and I have more energy.