jeepwm69

What are you working on?

Just now, 56Sierra said:

Limited Slip Differential.  I figured you of all people would catch that.  It only takes 20oz since it's an independent rear axle.

It cost me $100 to change the oil in my Dodge 4500 rear axle a couple of years back , bet it would be a lot  more now days , had to get a bottle of friction modifier from Dodge and it was stupid expensive for like 4 ounces , I think is was close to $20 and then 8 quarts of synthetic gear oil 

Just changed the oil and filter in both TRX300FXs so they are good to go.  Next is Mom's Civic, then the Tundra and all the garden tractors and lawn mowers.  Too bad everything takes a different grade or I'd get a drum delivered.

Draining the ethanol free gas of of the generators to use in the old Kohlers and refill the gennys with fresh corn-free gas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

What is LSD lube ?  >>>>  ironic I was just reading about a clan that is into licking poisonous frogs in the  woods , naked  ,  for hallucinogenic purposes  

Thats Sure paints a interesting picture.... Lol! Wtf is wrong with those people ?! 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

It cost me $100 to change the oil in my Dodge 4500 rear axle a couple of years back , bet it would be a lot  more now days , had to get a bottle of friction modifier from Dodge and it was stupid expensive for like 4 ounces , I think is was close to $20 and then 8 quarts of synthetic gear oil 

Did that service truck have a clutch pack type locking rear end ? 

Now that is looking for trouble for sure -- gone to the limit of being stupid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Well yesterday we had power blink off for a second, and when it came back on 1/2 of Mom and Dad’s power didn’t come back on. 

Dad had already checked the two big tube fuses in the box where power comes into the house, and they were both hot. He was headed to the basement when I got there.

The basement revealed this…..

07EBA3CA-8B09-4065-8C2A-1684F0C487AB.jpeg

House was built in 1919.  Every one of those fuse boxes is hot on one side, not on the other.  Of course, they’re all daisy chained off of one another so hard to tell where the actual supply line is for all of that. 

So does that make you electrical types skin crawl?

Knob and tube wiring in most of the house.

They did redo some of the electrical coming into the house several years ago when they installed a new central air unit, so I’m guessing the part of the house that is still working is hooked up to the new side

Hi Jeep: Did you cure the problem ??

15 hours ago, Melatv said:

Hi Jeep: Did you cure the problem ??

not yet. Years ago when they turned the attic into another bedroom dad remember cutting a wire and having to splice it back together, thought that might be the problem, but he crawled around up there, found the spice and it still looked good but he redid it anyway. No change

He had a former electrician over to the house who looked around at it for a bit, said it is probably a loose connection somewhere, but he’s a big guy so he couldn’t really crawl around and look.

Dad said he was going to go back through all of the fuse boxes and make sure that none of the fuses are blown, and tighten up all the neutral connections on the fuse boxes.

Dad pondered tying into a neutral on a live circuit but we both felt like that was just asking for more trouble.

Having to work in Dad’s basement did prompt me to throw a bunch of crap away a couple of days ago.

• Like 2

So I'm a plumber today ....... Kitchen sink drain flange seal replacement,,,. Also have to replace the delta faucet arm.... Never seen one just up and crack from temp changes (cold to hot) temp metal shrink / expansion fatigue, i could see a chance if the domestic hot water from the hardy wood boiler was involved .... You can see the crack how it's spread some via the water stains..... Never seen one crack like that before... Hm.... Deltas quality falling to the road side too ?!....... Sigh... Welcome to the disposable world..... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Yesterday I pulled this 300 out of hibernation , it has been  over 2 years since it ran , parked cause it started smoking and making a knocking sound , so I was amazed that the battery still made the fan work , stuck the trickle charger on it , pulled and dumped the tank and it wasn't really that bad , hooked it up to a external gas IV and it started right up , WOW , noticed rather quickly that the knock wasfrom the exhaust pope , it is a HMF I think , and the guts are rusted out and blowing out the tail pipe , it did start smoking after running for about a minute , going to pull the jug and take a look seee 

This is my most favorite 300 , it has a stretched swing arm , the front of the 1st gen is 2+ inches longer , the wheel base center to center hub is 54 inches , where my  other 300 is 48 inches , I find it make a big difference , this one has a Warn 424 1st gen ( very rare )  , 54% reduction ,it has the 1988 tear drop exhaust and cam , fan and cooler , and a lot of other add ons , need to get this one rolling 

9260C9BE-A0D9-461D-A241-45DB7F5C2731.jpeg

7E0D2438-ED04-4443-BC5D-D22DCF2AF1DD.jpeg

9B1AAD2B-4F4B-4078-BB5F-695F39ED1D39.jpeg

1BACBC59-EC2F-4FCC-955B-B6667B323B86.jpeg

• Like 2

Is that the Sac de Bleu or Boules de Bleu ? 300 from the old forums ? I think ..... You scored a great deal on that original warn 424 ? Too... 

• Like 2

Got the rear rack painted and installed since this pic , it's just sitting on there in this pic 

Zd%Hx7RZTZKYLIZbSPni+g.jpg

• Like 3

Redone the front rack , it as a mess ,  the P.O. had welded some tabs and a tube to it , welds looked like rough , cut all that off and did a bare metal , self-ethicing primer and Rustoleum flat white paint job 

Got some pvc fittings and plan to re-route the snorkel tube to be more esthetic 

The front bumper is going to be hard , the 92 first gen design has the winch mounted to the bumper supports , might paint it on the bike 

WLBdiSdNQpaV5fhLwkFfZQ.jpg

hEV8fnOwT5WWQ5N3tnD3bw.jpg

Udw+EO%ISzqXBkSZfAz+Sg.jpg

laac8FGWSy+X%mnCRZ7bKA.jpg

CZZ59tHUSCeEjWfbG04Kog.jpg

VYaKB%aZS5umTOWR38%eCA.jpg

aMGgI1pTT5m7kJIQLFRC0A.jpg

• Like 4

You Have to know I'm going to ask about those itp wheels... Lol..... I think i did years ago.... Are You going to polish them like @Z7What did his ? That shine with white and blue would look razor sharp... I agree with jeep too! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

You Have to know I'm going to ask about those itp wheels... Lol..... I think i did years ago.... Are You going to polish them like @Z7What did his ? That shine with white and blue would look razor sharp... I agree with jeep too! 

I'm thinking just a cleaning with some acid 

• Like 1

Couldn’t find Wipe New except for in the headlight cleaner kit and it was paper wipes   They guy told me at the auto parts that they discontinued many products recently.  There was very little to pick from for plastic resto.  The stuff I got did a little but not much. Finished the rear rack paint and reinstalled.   The front going to be a lot more work.  

Got the front bumper off yesterday evening , it really needed to come off for a good paint job , the front frame and bumper  of this 92 is very unique 

5BF799E1-B706-43A9-835B-6FF250EA33FA.jpeg

DE26575E-F702-442A-A2CE-F1434E063F8E.jpeg

6041C7EC-43FA-4BAE-B8E4-ED0AF883CD37.jpeg

B0CC2AD8-EA42-42AD-82BE-09CA524C4A83.jpeg

3E95C5AE-1E55-46BF-85C8-F163A684AD0F.jpeg

• Like 1

Redone the snorkel , nothing is glued yet , just mocked up , might paint it white , need to paint that yellow radio box to black 

C07EF011-BCFE-44FB-9C47-D2E8DEC862AD.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I'm thinking just a cleaning with some acid 

Eching acid ? Um....... There's a certain brand I've used before... Well... Like everything else they dialed it down....it's not much stronger then oven spray cleaner which has also been dialed down... Lol! You've heard of this stuff ? I've used this, and it works great, I've never used it with orbital buffer or buffer of any type (hand only) that's all LJ uses for some of those pricy Harley rims.. And other alumny pertz... I think I've posted this before ? I was thinking maybe z7what might get that page out and give some advise on what he used, he might in the old forums, heck! Might even have spoken here about it too.... You recall ? His headlight build ? Lol that was a great build..i know just from the pics (night pics with lights on) i wouldn't want him behind me at night with those flame throwers on..... Haha! 

image.jpg

• Like 2

That Simichrome is good stuff. 

My BIL cleaned up the old aluminum ITP wheels on my FIL's Rubicon with some alumabright.  They looked great when he finished.

• Like 2

This front bumper is beat up  bad , I did a lot of bending on it , even broke the electrical pipe bender that was my grandfather's , it was made of aluminum so I would guess it was made for thin wall  conduit , it does looks better  

D529CA3C-D72A-42AC-9DD4-BA114CF5027F.jpeg

35B0920C-0768-45CD-A8B7-280849221140.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Eching acid ? Um....... There's a certain brand I've used before... Well... Like everything else they dialed it down....it's not much stronger then oven spray cleaner which has also been dialed down... 

I am not worried about a polish look , dull and bright would be fine with me  , I'm the flat guy 

That stuff retro put me on back when worked really well , it got tones down ( as you say ) and the replacement is not worth buying , it seems the entire chemical isle at the auto parts got toned down ---- might try the truck parts store , Truck Pro and get some of the aluminum cleaner for trucks and see if it is still potent 

Reminds me of a joke , heading to the laughs thread ^^^^ 

• Like 1