jeepwm69

What are you working on?

Dang man, what did you do to that brake housing/drum cover.  Stuff looks brand new.

I got my hot stapler in the mail last week to try on my rear fender on that Rubicon.  Haven't had a chance to try it  yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Interesting idea on the gear shifter. 🤔

You talking about the hand shifter attached to the foot lever ?    That one is a store bought Moose Brand , they come in two different lengths , I like them , have the short and long ---  have a couple I made myself 

• Like 3

Yup.... I'm with fish i have the long model... When i messed up my back (firewood) that little jewel .... Saved me alot from pain.... The bothersome issue for me was timing the rpm .... Drop to shift without shocking the drive train... Kinda like putting an auto trans in park while the vehicle is still moving if you follow where I'm headed... Once you get the timing right easy peasy... 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 10:00 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Dang man, what did you do to that brake housing/drum cover.  Stuff looks brand new.

I got my hot stapler in the mail last week to try on my rear fender on that Rubicon.  Haven't had a chance to try it  yet.

I just seen your post >>>  I cleaned the drum in the parts cleaner with that PCS1000 , then a wire wheel ----- 

The axle came in today , Caltric , it looks good to me , wonder how the heat treatment and steel quality are 

Got new shoes , springs from them also , the hub was used from a place here in Louisiana , it is super fresh and clean 

I don't know if I already posted the pics are not , drill and tapped grease fittings in the swing arm , axle tubes and diff so as to run 50/50 Lucas and Marine grease 

fullsizeoutput_118a.jpeg

mcv7a1OgQjev1SY7ZBd7eg.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 1:59 AM, Fishfiles said:

My first try at stitches   

DD44003C-DFF0-4FEC-B5BC-D63674C7622F.jpeg

@Fishfiles new to me, but what is that long black bar on the left side? Is it an extension of the gear change pedal?

55 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

@Fishfiles new to me, but what is that long black bar on the left side? Is it an extension of the gear change pedal?

It is indeed a gear change lever , Moose makes them , the one into that pic is a homemade job that I made , works very well for me , especially when I am standing both feet on one floorboard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

It is indeed a gear change lever , Moose makes them , the one into that pic is a homemade job that I made , works very well for me , especially when I am standing both feet on one floorboard 

Standing both feet on one floorboard?  I'll bet Honda never thought about putting a warning in the owners manual for that.  Must be safe!

51 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Standing both feet on one floorboard?  I'll bet Honda never thought about putting a warning in the owners manual for that.  Must be safe!

When going thru ruts , sometimes you need to put all your weight to one side so you don't flip over or sometimes you need to walk along side the atv for  a bit and the shift lever side is way down and you can't get to it with your foot <<<<  it can be a very physical sport 

*  Started put the 250 Fourtrax rear on my 2000 300 2wd , new after market axle from Caltric , used hub , after market shoes and springs 

Lucky being a mechanic , I dug up a coupe of axle tube o-rings 

aJo1IzslRGmTx1LNe4iN7g.jpg

LKmr8dLWReSThAlcvQJ8JA.jpg

duY2Jx+BTmOhp+EExrdWIQ.jpg

• Like 3

All back together and lubed.  The way I filled it was.  Filled the diff will Lucas hub oil.  Ran in gear so the diff sucked excessive oil in. Then capped it and pumped Lucas Red and Tacky grease till it came out the vent hose barb. Then pumped the axle tubes till a slight resistance was felt. Ran it up and down the trail , then pumped another 15 pumps till it came out again.  Altogether it took over two tubes of grease. 

50373116-89B4-4AE2-A4E0-508738CE864D.jpeg

• Like 4

So I went and took a ride  yesterday evening and the front tires would hit the fender in extreme turns and hitting ruts, so I cut some plates like in the rear of the floor board to pull the fender back ---

I have not done the other side yet   you can see how far the fender stay is back compared to the other /far side 

that aluminum plate was a set of Chevy Blazer floor boards , they could have made a nice set of 300 floor boards 

Back to finishing up the other side 

T4cuh63dRTetIql%9cMx3Q.jpg

Zixid5qwQzmHx9+wpocg+Q.jpg

7g1bsdfpTjSpJ7jcLd2x4w.jpg

• Like 4

When going thru ruts , sometimes you need to put all your weight to one side so you don't flip over or sometimes you need to walk along side the atv for  a bit and the shift lever side is way down and you can't get to it with your foot <<<<  it can be a very physical sport 

*  Started put the 250 Fourtrax rear on my 2000 300 2wd , new after market axle from Caltric , used hub , after market shoes and springs 

Lucky being a mechanic , I dug up a coupe of axle tube o-rings

This is something i saw first hand shortly after i got that trx350... Went riding with some friends down giles county, at a old phosphate mine.... It still had not been leveled out hudge piles of dirt, deep a-- holes...gulleys ... Mud just about any terrane a mud bug would like....anyways.... Myself and a budy rode the back wy to the top of a good size pile... Afer all i just got the bike i was in no hurry to mud her up... So we just parked.. And watched the guys climb this very steep grade mound... Well... Low and behold a guy comes up the mound sitting on the front rack to hold the trx350 front end down... Lol..... Didnt have a ingle close call, but you could clearly see the black cleat marks where she was clawing up... My budy looks over says well he's was on trx 350. .... YOUR TURN.....i looked over at him...i said shut up....N hand me a beer...he (smart a--) laughing he says ah! One of those hold my beer and watch this moments..... Some people just arnt part together right.... Lol! 

• Like 1

Good grief is it that cool there you can have a fire? 😅🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Good grief is it that cool there you can have a fire? 😅🤣

100 F  

• Haha 1

Went riding for my birthday , went under a tree that fell and broke the snorkel off , lucky it was on the way home ---  so whilst fixing it , realized that the reason I wasn't using  my sound tube  ,  was the snorkel tube was in the way , so a re-plumbing job was in order 

mQHqFrx9RgmY4ufKD8uRYQ.jpg

sVeczPnhQlGeJa9Imu5Nlg.jpg

ZRgfxavdS%uXlE3IgPuMjg.jpg

%T4Ew9v5QHe4oA358IXjxw.jpg

CWKw1VGLQjCraijEjDdnaA.jpg

• Like 3

Are you going to add a screen ...... Cause i see a perfect setup for wasp, maybe even them pesky mudd dobbers .....that is if you let your bike set long enough... I bring up this because they have taken over where i put gas in... My car...I open that flap door to see an onslot ... Of flying pest headed right for me.... Or where i was at that time.........i up an vanished like a 💨in the wind.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Are you going to add a screen ...... Cause i see a perfect setup for wasp, maybe even them pesky mudd dobbers .....that is if you let your bike set long enough... I bring up this because they have taken over where i put gas in... My car...I open that flap door to see an onslot ... Of flying pest headed right for me.... Or where i was at that time.........i up an vanished like a 💨in the wind.....

Roger that on the mud daubers.  We have the ones that build the elongated quonset huts and those that fill any hole available.  I had a wood block with 50 holes for 22LR ammo.  Left it MT up on the shelf in the garage.  Went to use it and all 50 holes filled with mud.  Recessed screw holes on my leaf blower?  Yup.  Sealed with mud.  They don't bother with my chainsaws.  Maybe I should clean them more often.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

My buddy was talking about the screen this weekend  he had a tree frog climb out the tube whilst we were riding --- I have never had a screen before, maybe it is time 

• Haha 2

I can just imagine how surprised he was to have that happen... , bout like i was when i saw nothing but a red haze headed my direction... I left this part out... I was at a gas station when that took place, although i don't think anyone noticed me running back into the store... Eventually ....i was able to get the gas in.... Took my a while to get the cap off... (Very slow movements) heck... Not even the gas fumes had any effect on those suckers... But dawn sure did... I'm immune to those big bumblebees.... But i don't know about those red wasp, or yellow jackets, n heck if i want to find out ... And, also About those Massive Japanese wasp....with the half inch long stinger... Lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Oldest Boy called yesterday to say half the lights in the house were going on and off.  Suspected a bad leg and told him to turn off the central air and I'd be right up. (75 miles). Just before I left he called and said the power company came and the line drop was sparking and they'd be back at noon today.  Left here at 9:30 with tools and wanted to tighten all the lugs in the breaker box while the power co. had the power off.  Wasn't even out of the drive and he called to say they came early.   Called again about 30 minutes later and said he still had problems after they fixed the drop.

Got there and one leg open in the main and the wires from the meter connect directly to the main.  Called Power co. and asked if I could pull the meter and they said yes!  Shocked me so we found one electrical supply place in Akron that had one in stock so were were able to get the box fixed and have a two beer lunch.

The reason the lights were turning on and off was the power was back feeding through the AC compressor.  That's why I wanted the breaker opened.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

Oldest Boy called yesterday to say half the lights in the house were going on and off.  Suspected a bad leg and told him to turn off the central air and I'd be right up. (75 miles). Just before I left he called and said the power company came and the line drop was sparking and they'd be back at noon today.  Left here at 9:30 with tools and wanted to tighten all the lugs in the breaker box while the power co. had the power off.  Wasn't even out of the drive and he called to say they came early.   Called again about 30 minutes later and said he still had problems after they fixed the drop.

Got there and one leg open in the main and the wires from the meter connect directly to the main.  Called Power co. and asked if I could pull the meter and they said yes!  Shocked me so we found one electrical supply place in Akron that had one in stock so were were able to get the box fixed and have a two beer lunch.

The reason the lights were turning on and off was the power was back feeding through the AC compressor.  That's why I wanted the breaker opened.

Witcha Lineman !!!!!!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I wish I better understood the wizardry that is electricity.  I can muddle along on DC if someone dumbs it down for me.  AC I'm just a moron, and my house is old so I really probably ought to do some studying up on it because at some point I'm probably going to need to do away with the screw in fuses and update.  I know my grandfather had a 3 phase box installed where the line comes into the house, and my central AC was 3 phase until it bit the dust during Covid, and another 3 phase unit was going to be a 6 month (at least) wait, so I put in a single phase.  3 phase is run to my shop as well, but I don't have anything in there currently that isn't 110.  I know the terms, just don't really know what they really mean.  With the internet I have no excuse to not just search and read. LOL

I will say this though, I have a manual transfer switch on the side of my house that was put in back in the 90's after "Ice Storm '94" left my town without power for weeks in the middle of winter. 

As I understand it, were I to want to do something along the lines of what you did, and wanted to cut power to the house aka "pull the meter", with that transfer switch it would be as easy and throwing the switch and then I could do any work I wanted without fear of electrocution.

My heat, dryer, stove, water heaters are all natural gas, so I can run everything in my house except the AC with my 6500W Honda generator, which easily plugs into the side of the house, and powers everything with the transfer switch in the proper position.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I wish I better understood the wizardry that is electricity.  I can muddle along on DC if someone dumbs it down for me.  AC I'm just a moron, and my house is old so I really probably ought to do some studying up on it because at some point I'm probably going to need to do away with the screw in fuses and update.  I know my grandfather had a 3 phase box installed where the line comes into the house, and my central AC was 3 phase until it bit the dust during Covid, and another 3 phase unit was going to be a 6 month (at least) wait, so I put in a single phase.  3 phase is run to my shop as well, but I don't have anything in there currently that isn't 110.  I know the terms, just don't really know what they really mean.  With the internet I have no excuse to not just search and read. LOL

I will say this though, I have a manual transfer switch on the side of my house that was put in back in the 90's after "Ice Storm '94" left my town without power for weeks in the middle of winter. 

As I understand it, were I to want to do something along the lines of what you did, and wanted to cut power to the house aka "pull the meter", with that transfer switch it would be as easy and throwing the switch and then I could do any work I wanted without fear of electrocution.

My heat, dryer, stove, water heaters are all natural gas, so I can run everything in my house except the AC with my 6500W Honda generator, which easily plugs into the side of the house, and powers everything with the transfer switch in the proper position.

It is not wizardry as much as science and atomic theory.  Explaining what it is and how it flows is less important than what it CAN do and how to deal with that.

Electricity is expressed as potential energy.  It is stored or generated at a pressure (voltage) and Volume (amperage).  

The biggest thing to know is that voltage is ALWAYS looking to release its pressure by going to ground potential.  It doesn't care what the path is,  it wants to go to ground.

Amperage is how much energy is trying to go to ground.  It is what does the work/damage.

I worked under the NEC (National Electrical Code) which has been around since the turn of the last century, early 1900's.  The interesting fact is it was written by electrical engineers and tradespeople, but at the request/behest of the  NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)!  Fire companies were sick and tired of putting out the fires AND putting themselves in danger doing so.

My primary goal as an electrician was to keep the magic/smoke in check.  A working device/circuit was secondary to not causing damage or injury.

If I haven't glazed your eyes over already,  later we can talk about AC/DC, generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity. 

After that I can talk about transformers and single phase, poly phase and three phase systems and how they interact.

Hope this simple overview doesn't overwhelm anyone.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS DON'T GO THERE, IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!  ELECTRICITY DOES NOT CARE OR FORGIVE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I’ve seen videos of people getting fried.  Not something I want to mimic.

I’m pretty good at making things spark though!