Display Name

New member. 01 Rubicon.

Hey everyone. I have an 01 Rubicon with the hondamatic that I've heard so much about. The engine is in pieces because I need to replace a bent shiftfork shaft. Trying to decide what to do next. I will probably end up splitting the crankcase to check for obvious problems with the oil pump. I have no idea if the hondamatic is good or not. When I spin it by hand I only hear a slight rattle, nothing alarming, and the swashplate seems to move just fine as well. Anyway, I've already learned a lot from this website and hoping to learn more and make a good decision about whether or not to replace the transmission before putting it all back together.20230401_185349.jpg

20230329_061942.jpg

Welcome to the forum. 

I've only been into one Hondamatic engine, and it's sitting on my bench waiting for me to get back to it and finish reassembly.

On the early Hondamatics there were iffy oil pumps, so if you're into the engine/ have it on the bench, were it me, I'd probably replace that oil pump. 

The early oil pumps failing was what killed the early Hondamatics, and the oil pumps were redesigned @ 2005 (newer parts will fit older machines) and I haven't seen failed 05-up Hondamatics, although I'm sure there are some out there.

@toodeep and @Brian Bertram are both pretty well versed on the Hondamatics.  Brian isn't on the site much, but his contact info is in an old thread here if you search the sight by his name (or search his posts)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jeepwm69 Cool, thanks! Yeah I think I will end up replacing the oil pump and maybe just hope the transmission is fine if I cant make a determination on it. The atv worked fine in low and reverse when I bought it so I figured fixing it would be doable but that was before I knew anything about the hondamatic. Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Display Name said:

@jeepwm69 Cool, thanks! Yeah I think I will end up replacing the oil pump and maybe just hope the transmission is fine if I cant make a determination on it. The atv worked fine in low and reverse when I bought it so I figured fixing it would be doable but that was before I knew anything about the hondamatic. Thanks for the info.

I emailed Brian Betram about mine that is on my bench now (I had to replace crank and top end, as the oil pump chain had jumped off and starved the engine for oil).  He said if it spun over smoothly and didn't have any noises/rough spots he would suggest leaving it alone and fixing the other issues, and thought it would be fine.  He does rebuild the Hondamatics IF they aren't too far gone. 

• Thanks 1

@jeepwm69 Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. If I don't have to replace the hondamatic that would be awesome. 

Any idea why the pump chain would jump off yours? Ive heard of that. My oil pump sprocket was wobbly before I took it off and I wonder if it should be more stable. No obvious signs of damage from it that I can tell yet.

Edited by Display Name

20 hours ago, Display Name said:

@jeepwm69 Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. If I don't have to replace the hondamatic that would be awesome. 

Any idea why the pump chain would jump off yours? Ive heard of that. My oil pump sprocket was wobbly before I took it off and I wonder if it should be more stable. No obvious signs of damage from it that I can tell yet.

No idea.  I bought the machine cheap, and the prior owner said he bought it not-pulling, and suspected the chain was off, but wasn't sure.

I did replace the chain with a new one, and it wasn't super tight, but I asked a few guys who would know and they said it was fine.

Machine I bought had been snorkeled, only 2K miles on it, but I suspect they were hard miles LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

No idea.  I bought the machine cheap, and the prior owner said he bought it not-pulling, and suspected the chain was off, but wasn't sure.

I did replace the chain with a new one, and it wasn't super tight, but I asked a few guys who would know and they said it was fine.

Machine I bought had been snorkeled, only 2K miles on it, but I suspect they were hard miles LOL

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Good price for a newer atv project. Should be a nice ride when finished! Hope mine turn out well.