BlueJay

Trailer in Neutral or in Gear?

This might be a crazy question but when you trailer your bikes do you leave it in neutral with the brake down or put it in gear? I am new to the electronic shift and it seems if I leave it in gear it is tricky to get it in back in neutral to start it. I always strap it down securely on the four corners regardless but I was just curious as to the best practice in regards to neutral versus in gear. Thanks. 

I trailer in gear, but if you're strapping it down well I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

Put mine in neutral use parking brake & strap it down.

• Like 2

In neutral .....each wheel. anchored..... I don't use the frame, or P brake.... As a rule of thumb i don lieve anything being hauled in gear..... 

Lol quite the selection of answers. I trailer with brake but again none of it matters if your tied down proper with frame or tires. Don't tie to the rack I've seen a lot of people lose Harleys cause the suspension moved and they came untied.

• Like 1

If I just drive it on the trailer for a short trip I leave it in neutral and just put the brake on. For long trips when I secure it, it stays in neutral and no brakes. My short trips are to the other farm and at slower speeds so I don't worry much about it. The long trips are when i get up to speed and I don't want anything stopping those wheels if the machine does come loose. The outcome can be bad in both situations if it does come loose but in all my years of retrieving them.the ones that the wheels could roll on, I could drive onto a trailer. The ones that hit the ground and tried to instantly stop was a mangled mess. Now if your loading them sideways on a trailer it will be a mess if it ever comes loose and makes it to the ground.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 8:53 PM, toodeep said:

If I just drive it on the trailer for a short trip I leave it in neutral and just put the brake on. For long trips when I secure it, it stays in neutral and no brakes. My short trips are to the other farm and at slower speeds so I don't worry much about it. The long trips are when i get up to speed and I don't want anything stopping those wheels if the machine does come loose. The outcome can be bad in both situations if it does come loose but in all my years of retrieving them.the ones that the wheels could roll on, I could drive onto a trailer. The ones that hit the ground and tried to instantly stop was a mangled mess. Now if your loading them sideways on a trailer it will be a mess if it ever comes loose and makes it to the ground.

Interesting thing I hadn't really considered. 

I use 4" deck screws through the sidewalls of my tires into the flooring of the trailer.

Actually, I leave it in neutral, apply the parking brake, and strap it down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

I use 4" deck screws through the sidewalls of my tires into the flooring of the trailer.

Actually, I leave it in neutral, apply the parking brake, and strap it down.

Probably ought to step up to some longer lag bolts to make sure it doesn't move if you hit rough road.

On 7/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, Intimnasc said:

Lol quite the selection of answers. I trailer with brake but again none of it matters if your tied down proper with frame or tires.Don't tie to the rack I've seen a lot of people lose Harleys cause the suspension moved and they came untied.

Impressive range of responses. I use a braked trailer, yet correct tie-down technique via frame or tires is key. Avoid rack tie-down; Harley losses result from suspension shifts causing untethering. Safety first.

I have enjoyed the creative responses to my original question. I’m thinking a lagbolt drilled through the rims and screwed to the trailer bed should suffice. Seriously, I was more worried about the electronic shift mechanism taking all the stress from movement if it was in gear. I have been strapping the tires down to d-rings on the trailer bed while in neutral and I think that is good enough since I only transport about 10 miles to the hunting site. If I go any further then that it will definitely be lagbolts even though the original (2000) Honda owners manual says to use the frame. I just don’t trust that. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Probably ought to step up to some longer lag bolts to make sure it doesn't move if you hit rough road.

That is good advice.  I'll get me a few.

• Haha 1

I haven't looked lately but I remember the manual stated to leave in neutral and set parking brake to avoid transmission damage. Also, winch manufacturers tell you not to use the winch for tying down as it will wreck the winch.

• Like 1