F250 guy

Uni air filter experiences? 300 Fourtrax

Just now, toodeep said:

Just get one spot over the edge/lip and work it off. I've done 1,000s of filters so I can do that in my sleep (and have). 

I tried twin air once and it fell apart on the first cleaning. I haven't used them since then. Uni and OEM are my personal choices. 

Odd... I've cleaned mine multiple times without any issue....

I get pretty rough with them. If they can't handle the cleaning they get trashed.  I may have gotten an old stock filter that was aged but I'm not one for second chances on parts. 

• Like 1

lol. I really wanted a Uni.... this makes me want to go get one now.. lol

I gotta agree with toodeep...stay oem stock air filter !!. uni lets too much small crap into the engine..trust me on this !!. do as you wish though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shadetree said:

I gotta agree with toodeep...stay oem stock air filter !!. uni lets too much small crap into the engine..trust me on this !!. do as you wish though.

Thanks @shadetree and @toodeep, I'll buy a new OEM, and use the Bell Ray oil. So just work it on and off that lip, boy I skin my fingers everytime, but I'll give it another go when I get the replacement stock filter. 

I've run Uni filters for years and plan on using only their filters for years to come. I've witnessed people buying the filters and installing them and then hearing them complain about how worthless they are. An example. A friend of mine told me "I cant get it to sit properly, just flops around". Upon taking his air cover off I find the replacement filter.. but no frame (this model filter can be bought with a frame or sold as a replacement if you already have one with a frame) and he didn't oil it either. We ran the same model of bike (XRR) and they are notorious for bad fitting air filters so I'll give him that. But when someone just throws it in without first understanding the product.. well that's when bad things happen, for the person and the rep of the company. He's definitely one of those when buying something doesn't read the instructions. Long story short he got his bike running and it appears we caught the improper install early enough that no visible harm came to his engine. Great products! If you understand what's going on and properly oiling them is key.  Too much oil and it gets sucked in.. not enough dirt passes through. Personally I have 2 or 3 of the filters so I can change, clean and an extra in case one wears out replace. 

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 1

I bought a UNI for a 350D and I think I remember it having a spring inside instead of a cage.  Did I imagine that?

I don't use them much so they could have changed things. When I did the universal ones had the spring inside to help hold the shape and the model specific ones was more of a direct OEM replacement using the OEM inner cage.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

I pretty much only run UNI filters, nothing wrong with Twin Air either though. 

I seen your YouTube video and getting it over that upper lip is why I thought the UNI had a cage do I could eleminate the factory body. After soul searching I'm going OEM. 

• Like 1

a trick I do when putting air filters on the inner cage, oil or grease the lips of both the air filter and cage, makes it so much easier slipping the filter over the end. just start one edge up onto the metal cage lip, then from under the lip on filter side, carefully push the lip over the metal raised part on filter side as you work it around.

• Thanks 1