Kevron

TV antenna?

Hey guys, my cable has our fox and nbc channels off the air🤬 Would like to get antenna to pick them up for football. What types of antenna do y’all have that works? Don’t want one that you have to hang in a window for reception. I thought the days of rabbit ears were behind us!

Are you familiar with the plastic card type , it has a power pack attached to it , you hook it up and it finds the best palce to be mounted , where the loghter are greener , mine was ok behind the tv where you can't even  see it 

Tried one of those from Wally World. Had to take it over by window to get reception not worth the hassle.

1 minute ago, Kevron said:

Tried one of those from Wally World. Had to take it over by window to get reception not worth the hassle.

Wow , you must be in the boon'docks , I can get channels with the card stuck behind the tv ,  inside a wood cabinet , on the SE side the house , under the roof 

In my area they are worthless. You might get one or 2 channels sometimes. Cable tv also isn't available out in the country so I had Dish for years. A couple years ago I got tired of the high prices and switched to you tube tv. Of course their prices went up after doing that but they are still cheaper and with all the channels I wanted. If you can stream there are many apps that offer those channels at different price points.

Sorry my answer didn't answer yours. My last antenna i got was done with a lot of research, reading reviews and taking a chance on it working. It did get 3 channels but you had to tune it constantly to get them. That was a lot of years ago and it was an outdoor antenna on a 10ft pole on top of the house. 

• Like 1

I was going to mention beam antenna ^^^^ directional ( or a beam) i think would be best... I think @TBRider might also be one to talk to, least i think it was him that talked to me about digital tv verses the old big diameter sat dish setups...  Are you not on a digital dish system ? Your thinking rabbit ears .... Those were back in the analog days...... Anywhere from 151 mhz to 400 mhz range.. I'd have crack a frequency band book to nail it.... But that's close ... Digital requires a digital transceiver ... Which is also higher in frequency.. Which tends to break up during weather events that block or hinder the down link... (Or Frequency) 

• Like 1

If you have Internet get a Roku stick. I did and by paying $120 I get a year of Paramount+, Showtime and can stream local network TV. CBS is included. Also, any TV made in about the last 10 years has a digital converter built in. At my hunting shack we have a homemade directional antenna that picks up 4 stations from at least 40 miles.

• Like 2

I had one when I lived in the city, and it worked pretty good.  Looked like a wedge.

Now I live in the boonies so have to have streaming, dish, or cable if you want to watch something.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 10:51 PM, PROV said:

If you have Internet get a Roku stick. I did and by paying $120 I get a year of Paramount+, Showtime and can stream local network TV. CBS is included. Also, any TV made in about the last 10 years has a digital converter built in. At my hunting shack we have a homemade directional antenna that picks up 4 stations from at least 40 miles.

Sending you a pm soon... got a few questions..... I was just saying in chat... I finally got this junk iPad to take a critical update.... I'm finding all kinds of new tricks... everything shows up now pics videos etc etc.... YES.... IM STILL GETTING A NEW ONE, FISH, SHADE AND WHOM EVER ELSE HAS GIVEN ME SLACK OVER THE YEARS FROM USING STUFF FROM THE PREHISTORIC ERA.......(smirk) ..... 

• Like 1

some people i've talked to have success using a power-booster with their antenna. like that winegard, 56Sierra posted. 

Edited by LedFTed

25 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

some people i've talked to have success using a power-booster with their antenna. like that winegard, 56Sierra posted. 

Mine came with the booster.  Yet another wall wart to add to my electric bill.

• Like 1

My dealings with receiving amps, booster and or pre amps is they amplifiy everything in bound even un wanted emissions....but now we're not just talking audio... but I've heard people clame picture / image bleed over... that I have seen before... I believe only on analogue.... systems. 

height of antenna plays in, plus direction from signal. a good antenna tower, so to speak, not the iron poles or aluminum, i used that bent from the wind. was me moms house, and couldnt talk her into a decent set up.

perfect land for wind power.  constant breeze.