Fishfiles

Food Channel

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Let sleeping dogs lie Fish.  If you tell her she'll start scrutinizing every thing you cook. 

You are right Jeep , I don't need to tell her what she is eating -----  then I will have to be cooking two pots , one with and one without -----  but , I can't resist poking the ant pile , maybe  this coming weekend I'll get my boy Mo to say something in front of her ,  like , " man them alligator beans were some good last weekend , eh  !! "  and " it is even better in this alligator jambalaya " , LOL 

• Haha 1

Passing by my really old school buddies' seafood shop yesterday I seen a sign , shrimp 26-30s 10 pounds for $20 , so I pulled in  , he had a great catch , 6,000 pound in one night , so I picked up 20 pounds , that alligator jambalaya I am making  tomorrow is going to have some friends in it , going to also do shrimp some other ways to be determined at a later time 

While I was there he was prepping some extra crab traps , another 60 will give him 400 traps , we were talking some numbers , he is good friends with our old buddy who makes the traps and he did some of the rigging himself and it came out to $42 per trap -----  off the street , fully rigged someone would pay $55 per trap now days , so the 60 traps are about a $2,500 investment , #2 crabs right now are at $1 a pound to the fisherman , so with bait , fuel and deckhand pay , he has to catch about 3,500- 4,000 pounds of #2 crabs to be even , right now it is slow , he caught 6 boxes of #2s and 1.5 boxes of #1s , about $1,050 worth on a 3 day set , not too good since he's boat is about $400,000 and $20,000 worth of traps in the water , it is a shame what they pay commercial fisherman at the docks ---- but I have seen him catch 50-60 boxes and 1/2 be number #1s on a trip -- he's dad use to say , " you got to go to know ' , in other words you got to make bad trips to find the good ones , he use to also say , " you can't catch what has already been caught " , in other words , don't be a follower of people that caught , find them yourself -----  I miss commercial fishing , but it is a tuff way of life 

L6s66bsQQHC7CkUo87tMRw.jpg

MXcrYDo%TR+58FuOMohHCw.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Don't poke the bear!

My wife retires on Jan 26 , I am going to be spending a lot more time in the cave with the bear  , I think that is good advice ---- Did " you " happened to see the dog house meme I linked ??? 

• Like 3

Cooked a seasoned venison roast using my sous vide device. Wow very tender.

Roast came from a young whitetail hit by a car—broken neck—on a snowy Saturday night. Game warden said we could have it; sheriff said he wasn’t coming out to tag it!
Butchered it up—17lbs of jerky plus the steaks. Didn’t go to waste.

DBD5FF46-E51E-46B0-B2C9-3362A2037EB1.jpeg

3CB29241-BC3C-4FB1-9BB4-1A17095A77AF.jpeg

• Like 5

Don't know what's up with my phone , I took a lot of pics yesterday and most all are not there , I-Cloud problems ------ cut up and put the alligator meat , shrimp and pork and shrimp sausage in the jambalaya and it was a hit , but this is the only pic I got of it , we BB'ed shrimp with fresh French bread to dip in the sauce ,

Was watching a cooking show yesterday morning and they were smoking meat , so I pulled out the electric smoker and a pork tenderloin out the freezer , I am not that well verses in smoking , so I injected it with some Tony's , then rubbed it with seasoning , I think I over cooked it some , they were saying 145 degrees with the thermometer , when I checked it after about 5 hours it was 170 , boy did that roast shrimk , it was touching both side at the start , but  it is good stuff , just a little well done , the TV show was saying 12 hours for a roast and 18 hours for a brisket  , there is no adjustment on my electric smoker , need to tweak the cook time , good thing I was checking it as if I would have gone 12 hours and it would have been charcoal 

It rained a lot yesterday early then let up and I  did get to split some wood and got the fire going for the LSU game which was a great way to end the LSU season by beating #6 Florida at their house and messing up their  National Title run 

Fresh baked and still hot chocolate chip cookies with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla with Hersey's syrup was dessert , I had two plates of them 

Today we are deep frying shrimp 

fullsizeoutput_de2.jpeg

MPg3RXI3RPCm6CfLUHnOwg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ddf.jpeg

THY8bWvjSmmszaawYzq0Dg.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Let sleeping dogs lie Fish.  If you tell her she'll start scrutinizing every thing you cook. 

She found out the alligator was in the jambalaya and after eating it , liking it and having a couple of bowls , she wouldn't eat any more and never took none for lunch today , my buddy spilled the beans yesterday   ---   so I hit her with , " you liked the red beans last weekend and it had alligator in it "  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

She found out the alligator was in the jambalaya and after eating it , liking it and having a couple of bowls , she wouldn't eat any more and never took none for lunch today , my buddy spilled the beans yesterday   ---   so I hit her with , " you liked the red beans last weekend and it had alligator in it "  

Ha, you knew that was coming.

Now you're gonna get the Spanish Inquisition every time you cook something, with Mrs Fish wanting to know exactly what's in everything!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Your a glutton, for punishment. {Poke the Bear} :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

you know, this could be turned into an advantage.... you said she was going to retire very soon.... more time for her to cook ? but you didn't hear this from me, or at least don't tell her where this idea came from, after all, y'all let the gator out of the bag. 

• Like 1

On the Menu Today :

Boston Butt on the smoker , injected with Tony's butter and herbs and rubbed with the 7 spice mix 

I am not a smoker of meats , this is about my 4th attempt at it , I have an electric smoker , using mesquite wood , don't have a clue on time and temperature , I would say @Goober is the " Smoker King " from what I have seen , any tips , it went on at 7:00Am , there is no adjusting this smoker ------   hoping to eat it for Lunch 

7.62 pounds for $1.69 a pound , $12.88 , not bad  ? 

fullsizeoutput_dec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ded.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ded.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_df0.jpeg

• Like 3

Whoa sorry i missed this!

i go 225

10 hours uncovered and 2 hours wrapped for a 9-10 lbs.

temp wise it needs to be 195 for chopped and 205 for pulled

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

I went 5 hours and at that time it was at 180 when I probed the meat -------  it came out really good , was still juicy , was able to cut it some what , fell and pulled apart for the most part  ---- used some Cattleman BBQ sauce , man was it good and is all gone  ----   think I will be smoking more often 

• Like 2

That was a good looking piece of pig. You sure do eat good. I’ve got a hankering for some ribs—try curling and tying them like this next time—heat and smoke she cook bot sides thataway.

it’s been hard for me to find a particular bullet Federal Premium Sciroccos. Buddy of mine got two and said he’d trade me some BBQ sauce for both boxes woohoo!

162470DA-FD14-42A8-9492-E34F873D37C6.jpeg

E2F9BEC6-8CD2-4C9C-B5A6-05A9F210BCDD.jpeg

• Like 2

Merry Christmas again !!   On the menu  6:00 I stuck a Boston Butt on the smoker , this time I injected it with Zatarrains Herb and Butter , and I got a plan this time as I am new to this smoking thing , 3 hours in , hoping to be about 150 degrees , then  I am going to wrap it in aluminum foil and shoot for 205 degrees internal meat temp , then after cooling down , pull it all off the bone and cover it in Cattleman's sauce and throw it on pistolette buns 

yesterday made up a bowl of shrimp salad , got 2 dozen homemade hot tamales ( but not made by me ) , got a stuffed artichoke ( same lady does the tamales )   , wife picked up a vegetable tray and I got 6 home made crayfish pies to throw in the oven and  a Key Lime pie for dessert 

5 hours of smoking and it just made 155 , cold weather likely hurting the heat , so I wrapped it in foil and stuck it back in , shooting for 2-5 from what I hear , might be jerky by then 

Son-in Law gave me a Pepper Sauce kit , looks good   ,that Exotic got some stuff in it ,  some recipes on the back --- and a cool no flip Yeti type beer holder , need to pic it later , about to try it out , it's 5 some where  

My buddy Vic wants to bring his 300 over and go riding , it rain so hard the ditches are still flooded in front the house and it is 46 degrees right now , think I am sitting this ride out 

9Aa3c+jTTyqguCZsrYWMfA.jpg

7G3tHI5uQRmYnoxBGWRp9Q.jpg

R5lMhdEsRkq1B%OXr0uYUg.jpg

aiHM11Y8QMeNg0kmLgtzGg.jpg

• Like 1

I got that butt up to 180+ and from the terms I have been learning , it has " stalled " and I am out of mesquite wood ,  temp been the same for the last 1/2 hour , it cooked 6 hours , last one I did was 5 , so going to turn it off and  " it is what it is " -----  

• Like 1

Not because I am fond of them , just tradition , black eye peas --- no cabbage today , think cabbage is for money , maybe I should run out and buy a head or two , might stimulus my wallet 

fullsizeoutput_e07.jpeg

• Like 1