Fishfiles

Food Channel

Well...... Some of you might have tried some of these spices, and sauces, so chime in plz..... Begains as my diet i have changed (no to very little salt... For the longest time I've not been looking to try bbqed anything... Well after looking and researching I've come up with some healthier alternatives ..... Here's a few i think i have every single spice and season mrs dash makes.... Lol! So been busy this am... I'm hopingbforna great bbq pulled chicken baked beans (seasoned) cornbread, and possibly potatoe salad, but as of right now checkin is cooking... Soon the sauce / season experimenting will begain.... Just in time for a few hours of OPL this evening.... The capital city sauce (sweet and hot) has a very high rating from what i have seen online...but i sure  do miss sweet baby rays.... I have yet to see if it's offered in a low to no salt content... More later.... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

image.jpg

I have tried the Dash powered seasons and all that I tried were OK ----  The Mambo Sauce looks interesting ----

I am not suppose to have too much salt either , but I gave up on that diet , I rather die happy than eat bland , LOL , the wife just started a low sodium diet and she is taking it to the extreme and killing me with it , I wanted some Krispy Fried Chicken from the gas station last night and she didn't  ,  so we had broccoli , chicken and rice casserole , which it wasn't too bad 

I just got back from the grocery , couldn't make up my mind on what to cook  for tomorrow  , went with a 10 pound Boston Butt Roast for the smoker  , Sweet Bay Ray BBQ sauce to drench it down   after I pull that pork apart , going to dress up some Bush beans and got 2 dozen hamburger buns for the pork 

Got two ribeyes for the wife and I this evening , going to do some scalloped potatoes with onions , garlic , butter and cheese 

• Like 1

Just put that Boston Butt on the smoker , 11:00 am would be 8 hours , didn't injected it this time , it made a mess last time with all the drippings ,so it was dry rubbed 

• Like 1

It's takes some getting used to but give no salt a try.... Trust me it's very hard to tell it's completely salt free..... I'm wandering what the long term effects on the body .... Not getting real salt.. So that's next of a few questions for doc... I was always told salt helps you sweat, and with sweating your body does rid it's self of certain toxins (i believe ??) i just don't know what all... I've been staying so busy ... Just haven't taken the time to research that.... But very soon. 

.. Turned out great... That mambo sauce really has a kicking after taste.... I'm curious on how it will do on a charcoal grill... Some sauces I've tried in past seem to burn faster then the meat get fully cooked... Baby rays never did that with me... So that's the next test. So far I'm pleased... And man! I have been wanting bbq for over 7 months... Lol! And getting back into cooking again... Well i flat out enjoyed it!  And slow cooking didnt take much of my time i wanted to spend doing other things... .. and that cook.... I'll most certainly do again! What i added .... I didn't go exactly by a specific amount... Just added a tad of this a tad of that ... But it worked so I'll say what i added , but as for how much of each ? I have no clue.. I cheated a tad ... Using McCormicks grill mates bbq season, then dashes extra spicey, dashes jalapeño season, dashes chipotle, dashes fiesta lime <( a very small amount ) badia complete season, traegen sweet & heat sauce, mr spices honey bbq sauce, and a small amount of dashes sweet teriyaki sauce to conclude on whole  wheet with sweet onion, and extremely low sodium picker fresh dill pickles... All of those ingredients are no sudium to very low content which I'm green lighted to have. So all in all yes! Very satisfied! Pic doesn't do the fast justice.. Lol! Looks like just a plain ol samich.... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

I had to save the rest... It's just too good to at all of it at once.... Next time i when i get ready for the rest . I'll fix more things then just a samich... I'm thinking cold slaw.. Creamed potatoes, sweet corn on the cob IF I  can locate some, cornbread, maybe mexican CB fresh turnip greens with red wine viniger Mac and chez ..fresh green beans, and a couple of jalapeño peppers (fresh)  . ! I don't know which combo, but i gotta have cole slaw, and pickles with pulled bbq.  

• Like 1

Wow you were reading my mind with the cole slaw. I like hillbilly slaw.  No mayo.  Olive oil and vinegar. Might head to the store come daylight.   I think your body does need some salt.  But also think that something you are eating has some salt in it.  Seems everything has salt and sugar. Or it turns to sugar in your system. My wife over does everything.  She is reading every box and wrapper.  

• Like 1

I am about to start up some cowboy beans.  I have ground meat and / or andouille  sausage to put in them.  What you think.  One.  The other.  Or both. Thinking neither.   Wish I would have picked up a pack of bacon pieces and stuck that in the beans.  The store in Lacombe sells packs of thick cut pieces of bacon.  Man that stuff is good.  Lots of salt.  Lol.  

• Like 2

You'd be shocked at how many things have salt... When they told me... I was like get out of town... Lol soft drinks ? Yep even some of the healthy v-8 stuff has salt and i love v-8 veg even the hot spicy style... Took me along time to find salt free mater juice ....lol but by George red gold has it.. I also was getting some from itialty via amazon... Tast the same.. I just add no salt and tobassco and it's good to go... Bad thing is i can drink that till i get sick.. Lol so i have to be carefull with mater juice .... But i cheated again i couldn't stand not have v-8 veg.. So i lucked up  on a deal low sodium original vegtable juice six 46 oz bottles for $17 i think that's purdy good price ! It's cheaper then wallmart in columbia.... 

Mm.... Sounds good ether way to me... I've personally never used andouille  sausage when makin cowboy beans, but that does sound delicious ! Burger and chopped up sweet onion, and also de seeded chopped bell pepper... Maybe just one jalapeño pepper de seeded and chopped... There's something else also but I'm drawing a blank... Oh! I use a very small amount of red wine viniger, and also yellow frenches mustard... Speeking of mustard i think i may have located one of my favorite condiments jalapeño hot mustard salt free... I just have to find that dang link.. 

• Like 1

I like to put a can of Rotel tomatoes and chili powder , makes it Tex/Mex or call it Southwest Cowboy beans >>>>>>    never tired vinegar , I do put yellow mustard for sure and Whistershire Sauce ( Lea and Perrins ) --- like you were saying before about not measuring , that's me too , a little of this a lot of that , never comes out exactly the same ---- my wife measures to the grain 

• Like 1

You two must be something else in the kitchen .... Lol.... I can almost see it now... Just like to know which one of you says this is how you do it.... Lol.... Being you played that trick on her... I bet she does... Was it gator meat ? That was involved?.i chuckle every single time  i think about that gag... And then there's Harley and the pepper gag..... Lol! And i wander why mine don't trust me... And I'm a nice honest guy (i had to cross my fingers while saying that) lol! Never ever trust a red head... I ,learned that the hard way.. Lol.. for a while i had no hair after that mishap... I figure why try when she'll just shave me again while I'm sleeping.... Lol! Oh and forgot this fact... She ended getting a Harley Davidson.... Let me tell you... Harley  chics are fun! Sometimes i think i should have stayed with her.... But there's a certain limit of crazy i can deal with.....and her and crown royal mixed was a bad combo..... One might even describe it as plumb dangerous ..... Lol! 

Anyways .... Idea just popped....i get fresh salsa no salt... I wander how that would be in place of rotel..... So your speaking of the chili ready rotel ? Good stuff!.... I'll have to check see what percentage sodium it has, or if they make a low S type... I got to where i put rotel on lots of foods .... Southwest  cowboy beans sounds good, and i have two big cans of bushes beans just for cowboy beans.... I might just fix that this evening.. Got low fat content ground sirloin, fresh onion frozen bell pepper, hot sauce.. Vinegar, mustard fresh salsa... I think the only thing missing (that i can consume) but don't have is that lee and perrins W sauce.... I hate trying to spell that word >>> Worcestershire sauce, but.... I did locate this... I have some of the ingreedants .... But not all and some I've never even heard of before

Salt-Free Worcestershire Sauce

Adapted from Barbara Lynch’s Worcestershire Sauce

Ingredients

1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 cup no-salt added tomato puree
1 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon salt-free chili powder
2 tablespoons low-sodium molasses OR tamarind paste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup honey
Directions

Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sauté until softened and caramelized. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in all the remaining ingredients except for honey and let cool.

When the sauce is cool, add the honey. Transfer the sauce to a blender and purée until smooth. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve, using the back of a spoon or spatula to press the mixture through. The finished Worcestershire sauce may be kept refrigerated in a clean, covered jar for several weeks.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wait till she goes in the other room and then add the special stuff , what she don't know ..... 

The Rotel I use is the regular, not chili style , I have seen that chuli style , I used Rotel OEM today , but I have been buying the store brand lately , 1/2 the price 

three pics ,

1) seasonings 

2) cooked down seasonings with sausage and ground meat ( basically you could eat it as chili ) 

3)  #2 plus the beans , just had a cup , without the rice ( cause I need to cook that next ) and it is fire 

I got 4 hours cook time on the Boston Butt , it smells so good 

fullsizeoutput_108e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_108d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_108c.jpeg

• Like 2

Uh huh.... I figured something like that... And she's never just walked in and cought you ? 

Being it's going  to be too cold to do much outside..... When saw those ( delicious  looking images) i got the urge to make that ol gunsmoke chili with a twist this time... I'll use dryed pintos ..in place of canned ... Dashes salt free chili season ..... Bout the same with the rest of but MAYBE I'll do 1/2 gallon rather then 1 gal.... I haven't had chili in oh! in About 7 plus months.... So I'm looking forward to it! Celery bell peppers sweet onion, the fake salt ... (I'll have to play that by ear) 2 lbs burger (90% fat free) thing is i dont thin i have enough beef broth... <<< Any ideas ? Green light or red ? Plus no fresh jalapeño peppers.... And i don't have any type of rotel... So... It will basically be stock.... 

Gunsmoke chili

2 lbs. coarsely-ground lean beef or venison
2 large green bell peppers, chopped
2 fresh jalapeño chiles, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 (14-1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp. dried ground hot peppers of your choice: (cayenne, jalapeño, habanero, etc.)
2 bay leaves
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
6 cups water or beef broth
2 (15-1/2 oz.) cans kidney or pinto beans

image.jpg

• Like 1

I like chilli , Wendy's chilli ain't too bad on the road for  being  fast food  ,  I seen a show about Wendy's , the chilli was a way to use up the unused leftover hamburger patties , I like to add the packages of hot sauce they give you for the chilli  

No beef broth ,    Throw a beer in there , LOL 

My Dad use to always say " you can make a Mexican chilli by sticking a popsicle up his butt " 

Not a bean in my  chilli kind of guy , the wife is a beaner 

I know I must have told this chilli story before , ATC250ES Big Red and chilli , broke my jaw , had it wired up total of 19 weeks , pretty much lived on chilli in a Vitamix till liquid and sucked thru a straw , with a chocolate malt  ------    Hmmmmm 

• Thanks 1

Oh man......  You going to tease me about beer now ?? Lol! ..... That's good! i should have expected that..... Yeah ... That one I'll never forget... No telling how much chili you had to suck down during that time... Yum..... Your talking when Dave ran Wendy's ? Some of the best chili i could get one the road, well i should say from a fast food joint.... But i could always taste the salt.... I didn't know that's where the left over patties went, but it's still very tasty! ... There was always a problem... I could never get enough.... I get one container get back on the road ... And by the time i had it gone... Danged if i wasn't even hungrier lol! ... If i had a can of beer I'd toss it in, one wouldn't hurt a thing.... I went checked the ice box, i might just have enough broth, but it's going to be stretching it..speaking of i gotta get them dryed bean on... Be back very soon..... I'm going to change that rating i gave... Laughing face doesn't fit with someone being hurt... So my bad on that.... 

• Like 1

At Wendy's , with my large chilli , I ask for onions and grated cheddar cheese on top the chilli and then add one ,  sometimes two packs of that hot sauce 

• Thanks 1

They offer that for toppings ? All you get here is chili, I'm not complaining at all ....buts it's not listed on the drive up menu here, no inside.... That must have been when Dave was still in charge ( i recon) 

31 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

They offer that for toppings ? All you get here is chili, I'm not complaining at all ....buts it's not listed on the drive up menu here, no inside.... That must have been when Dave was still in charge ( i recon) 

Ask and thou shall receive , Weedhopper !!!  ----   Man once told me " squeaky wheels get the grease "  , speak up son !!! ----  

P.S. did you know  you can get crackers too !!! >>>>  I don't do the crackers myself .....  

• Haha 1

Oh..... I'm sure I'll be back up there .... I been on a low sodium deal for , well yaw 3 know how long, so one big Wendy's chili with (yep loaded) all ill end up getting again, ! Prolly a few times... I'm not just going to eat pure health food, I'm going to live some and enjoy it...Lol! 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Oh..... I'm sure I'll be back up there .... I been on a low sodium deal for , well yaw 3 know how long, so one big Wendy's chili with (yep loaded) all ill end up getting again, ! Prolly a few times... I'm not just going to eat pure health food, I'm going to live some and enjoy it...Lol! 

Moderation !! 

• Haha 1

Yeah...... I don't think  I've ever asked you have you ever used Carroll Shelby's chili season...... I know it's funny, but i don't  think it's related to Mr. Carrol Shelby the American car designer. But heck of a coincidence... Having the same name....both seasonings (i think) are good! But I'm not much on white chili... However i do like dumplings.... I Located a good deal on rotel original..but the salt free is high. And, I didn't think they made salt free....

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

No , never heard of Carroll Shelby Chilli !!! Did you see the Shelby movie ?  Was pretty good ! 

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Need for speed ? Oh yeah a few times! Love it.... Especially when he was in it's traffic buss buss buss!!! Lol ! 

The movie  I am thinking of was called something like  " Ferrari veses Ford " , the life story of Carroll Shelby 

• Thanks 1