Fishfiles

Food Channel

I'm stuffed had a big lunch, Ham, Dirty Rice, Mac & Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole and Chocolate Pie for Dessert.

• Like 1

Oh now that drink minus the alcohol sounds deliouss ..... Did v-8 this morning with hot sauce....Fiesta lime season, and a tad bit of white pepper,and just a tad bit of steak sauce... I forgot the lemon juice...  

• Like 2

Gar Balls are good ----- My Grandma and Grandpa use to make gar balls the same as him ^^^^ , except , smaller balls , boiled potatoes instead of crackers and when they came out the oil , she would put them in a brown paper bag of seasonings , salt , pepper , sugar , etc , etc and shake them up , that was Fire , Dude !!! 

She use to also do Cod Fish patties with remoulade sauce on top , see see bon !!!

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Gar Balls are good ----- My Grandma and Grandpa use to make gar balls the same as him ^^^^ , except , smaller balls , boiled potatoes instead of crackers and when they came out the oil , she would put them in a brown paper bag of seasonings , salt , pepper , sugar , etc , etc and shake them up , that was Fire , Dude !!! 

She use to also do Cod Fish patties with remoulade sauce on top , see see bon !!!

We like our gar balls in a gravy served over rice with potato salad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, riverc said:

8 hours ago, riverc said:

Never tried gar balls  with gravy >>>>  we use to eat redfish or sheephead with a red gravy and rice , they called that cou'vee'a ( I can spell it ) , around St Joseph Day was always the time for that dish 

My grandpa use to tie the gar up to the clothes drying line he had in his yard and use a machete to get the skin off ,  then he would grind  the meat thru a hand turned meat grinder ---

* he use to always say never eat the eggs ( caviar ) out a gar , said it was poisonous to humans  

Been neglecting dessert here on the Food Thread , so here is some amazing looking cake , but you know how that goes , might not taste like it looks , before if it does taste as good as it looks , that mother must be some good 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Never Knew Some of these things 

He nailed it.... That's perfect advise! And you season with real Lard! My granny would have an out more fit if anyone messed with her iron ....that old skillet i have (that was hers) makes the best corn bread... So good I'd put it against any other made..... For years on thanksgiving all the cornbread made to complete the dressing was made in the one skillet. 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Been neglecting dessert here on the Food Thread , so here is some amazing looking cake , but you know how that goes , might not taste like it looks , before if it does taste as good as it looks , that mother must be some good 

image.png

Wow! That sir is impressive.... No way i could cut into any one of those... Well i couldn't be 1st.... Lol! That's some mad skills there!! 

I've been laid up with what I think was the flu for a couple of days.  Luckily didn't hit till the day after Christmas.  I thought I just had a bit of the "wine flu" but I didn't drink enough for that, and sure enough, had fever when I finally checked it Monday afternoon.

But anyhow, I deep fried my first turkey on Christmas Day, and I gotta say it was dang good.

Not sure how much sense it makes to spend $80 on peanut oil to fry a turkey, but it was good.  Hopefully I can get some more use out of that oil before it goes rancid.

• Like 4

I agree , it is a wasted money ,  frying a turkey  >>>>>  to me I like fried turkey before it gets cold , you can throw it away after it was in the ice box  , doesn't make good leftovers , greasy taste ---   

there are places down here that will fry turkeys  for you , even Popeye's Famous Fried Chicken take orders 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Deer meat burgers in gravy 

I'm trying to get some meat now problem is it's so foggy it would have to be 10 yards from stand to see it lol. Should have stayed home it's warm and muggy.

I just walked outside to check it out , 58 here , no fog , humid , we had close to 4 inches of rain yesterday on my gauge  ----

The Stale Cracker dude up above  ^^^^ ,  I don't like 100% deer , my buddy Kim has given me some that way as he likes it , too dry and chewy for me , give me 50/50 fat , LOL 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I just walked outside to check it out , 58 here , no fog , humid , we had close to 4 inches of rain yesterday on my gauge  ----

The Stale Cracker dude up above  ^^^^ ,  I don't like 100% deer , my buddy Kim has given me some that way as he likes it , too dry and chewy for me , give me 50/50 fat , LOL 

We had over 2 inches they say more is coming this week.I hear ya I mix 1 lb beef ground with 1 lb deer ground. Like to make Tacos and chili with it.

• Like 1

made some venison polish sausage Party Polish!! LEM Backwoods seasoning and 20% pork fat. Leetle dry. Next time Ima use 25-30% beef fat.
I’ve had COVID for at least a couple weeks now. Ruined Christmas, ruining New Years.

but got my appetite, taste, smell. Just sniffing and sneezing. 

Guess i have to wait till I’m better to broil another. 

B1A08BC4-A430-4E83-BA43-F30A46494B9D.jpeg

• Like 3