my5sons

Honda Jet Cleaner tool or ????

Anyone have the Honda Jet Cleaner tool?  They are proud of it!  07JPZ-001010B retails for $83.  I see some on eBay for around $70 and some cheap off brand on amazon for $8-$20.  Anyone have a set they recommend?

honda_jet_cleaner_07JPZ-001010B.png

Edited by my5sons

In my experience, if you are careful the same job can be accomplished with a welding tip cleaner.

I use a super cheap cleaner set from Forney.

You can do damage if not careful.

Honda one looks very similar to this...

... and that one is $6

oh400ex

Edited by oh400ex
Adding price and link

Never heard of one. But I assume it’s similar to the tip cleaners for cutting torches..

• Like 1

I have a really old school brass two piece 6 inch long tube full of individual brass rods , it was my Grandfather's  set , I am not even sure if it is a jet cleaning kit , torch cleaning tip set or what , but it works great for carbs  , there are at least 100 pieces or more  in the tube , multiples of the same sizes and many sizes , I have never seen another set like it , he was an electrician when he retired , maybe something  electrical 

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Never heard of one. But I assume it’s similar to the tip cleaners for cutting torches..

yea, i agree looks just like my torch tip cleaner except longer ... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

torch tip cleaners are one of the worst tools you could ever poke through a jet on a carb !, why i say this ? : because a torch tip cleaner has barbs around and down the length of the wire, in other words, its like a small round file !, so you are pretty much making that jet hole larger when running it up and down the jet hole, but hey..what do i know ?!..lol.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, shadetree said:

torch tip cleaners are one of the worst tools you could ever poke through a jet on a carb !, why i say this ? : because a torch tip cleaner has barbs around and down the length of the wire, in other words, its like a small round file !, so you are pretty much making that jet hole larger when running it up and down the jet hole, but hey..what do i know ?!..lol.

Especially easy to mess up to a brass alloy with steel too, which most tip cleaners are.

As bad as some Forney products are, that is why I am using this set. It doesn't have those barbs.

oh400ex

Capture.PNG

Edited by oh400ex

7 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Especially easy to mess up to a brass alloy with steel too, which most tip cleaners are.

As bad as some Forney products are, that is why I am using this set. It doesn't have those barbs.

oh400ex

Capture.PNG

most torch tip cleaners have the barbs, so most folks do not know better...but barbs and brass do not mix well !..lol.

• Like 2

i know i wouldn't use one, ...  i always see some filings (a very very small amount) after cleaning a torch tip, just have to know it's doing the same to the inside diameter of the jets .. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i know i wouldn't use one, ...  i always see some filings (a very very small amount) after cleaning a torch tip, just have to know it's doing the same to the inside diameter of the jets .. 

and you are 100% correct !.

• Thanks 1

I grab a piece of braided wire, strip it back and grab how ever many strands I need. Speaker wire, works well.

21 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

I grab a piece of braided wire, strip it back and grab how ever many strands I need. Speaker wire, works well.

copper wire can break off easy, i use a strand of wire from a wire brush, a good yank with some pliers on a strand ?, problem solved !..lol.

• Like 1