Fishfiles

Fish

32 minutes ago, 660catman said:

Northern Manitoba at the end of March

IMG_1995.jpeg

Nice !!!!   School me cause I am fisherman but a southerner , is that a walleye or pike ? Looks like a garfish on steroids to me !!!   15 - 20 pounds ?  Are they good table fare ?  >>>>  LOL 

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice !!!!   School me cause I am fisherman but a southerner , is that a walleye or pike ? Looks like a garfish on steroids to me !!!   15 - 20 pounds ?  Are they good table fare ?  >>>>  LOL 

It’s a pike. Excellent table fare when they’re big enough to de-bone. They’re the slimiest things in summer especially in warmer waters. I prefer to keep them when ice fishing. 

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Here’s a walleye

IMG_1457.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 660catman said:

Here’s a walleye

IMG_1457.jpeg

That walleye reminds me of our speckled trout ,  it looks good eatig in the pic , LOL 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 660catman said:

It’s a pike. Excellent table fare when they’re big enough to de-bone. They’re the slimiest things in summer especially in warmer waters. I prefer to keep them when ice fishing. 

We got a slimy fish too , the gaft-top catfish , the slim can be so bad , the slime will roll up on your line while fighting them in  and you will have slim running down your  fishing line 2 ft before the fish --- I think they do a barrel roll when they bite lol 

A freaky thing about  gaff-tops  fish ,  if you take their head and put it in an ant pile , the bone resembles Jesus on the cross 

I got one...... LJ has always loved fishing..... several times right after work him me, and a few others would sometimes pack up n go....there's always some little place near by we could go...neighbors pond ..... he and David.... a friend from way back......headed out south to Giles county to a spot.... this is how it was told to me... said they were fishing having some good luck... till LJ line snagged a low hanging branch... not thinking much could happen the hook came loose line snapped back the hook hit LJ in the eye... this part blew davids mind... it never tounched the ball.... just punched a hole in his lid... n hooked him there.... they rushed to Nashville had his eye looked at not a single scratch... the hook just got his lid....LJ told us it was the 1st time it's ever come close to his face in several years of fishing... just goes to show ya.. how fast a good day can turn into a bad close call....that's what I thought of when I saw the hooked nail....David was in a full blown panic...(he was also the driver). LJ ... wasn't too alarmed... I think they set a new land speed record.... on the way to Vanderbilt.......

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I got one...... LJ has always loved fishing..... several times right after work him me, and a few others would sometimes pack up n go....there's always some little place near by we could go...neighbors pond ..... he and David.... a friend from way back......headed out south to Giles county to a spot.... this is how it was told to me... said they were fishing having some good luck... till LJ line snagged a low hanging branch... not thinking much could happen the hook came loose line snapped back the hook hit LJ in the eye... this part blew davids mind... it never tounched the ball.... just punched a hole in his lid... n hooked him there.... they rushed to Nashville had his eye looked at not a single scratch... the hook just got his lid....LJ told us it was the 1st time it's ever come close to his face in several years of fishing... just goes to show ya.. how fast a good day can turn into a bad close call....that's what I thought of when I saw the hooked nail....David was in a full blown panic...(he was also the driver). LJ ... wasn't too alarmed... I think they set a new land speed record.... on the way to Vanderbilt.......

Wow , bet that hurt 

32 minutes ago, 660catman said:

IMG_3127.jpeg

My signature fishing move that is so satisfying to me is the Ca'lout, named for my old fishing buddy Mario Callutta   , when the person next to you gets a strike and misses the fish , you quickly reel in and cast to the spot where the strike took place , you get the hook up and you are reeling in your buddy's fish  before he knows what hit him 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have something going on right now that could be here in this fishing thread , but also could be in the weather thread , it is called the salt water wedge , the Mississippi River's flow is low , so the salt water from the gulf is working it's way up river , the salt water hangs low along the bottom , most of the Parishes along the river suck water out the river , so if the salt water makes it to the intakes of the water plants , they can't handle the salt ---- makes fishing good though 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

We have something going on right now that could be here in this fishing thread , but also could be in the weather thread , it is called the salt water wedge , the Mississippi River's flow is low , so the salt water from the gulf is working it's way up river , the salt water hangs low along the bottom , most of the Parishes along the river suck water out the river , so if the salt water makes it to the intakes of the water plants , they can't handle the salt ---- makes fishing good though 

Interesting.  I noticed the river that runs along the farm is waaaaayyyyy down and it runs into the Mississippi a couple of miles from the house.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I used to fish with a guy that loved rubber worms.  Me, I used buzzbaits.  What I missed, he caught and what he missed I caught.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow , bet that hurt 

You n I both would think that, but to hear LJ .... say it... not so much, it looked a lot worse then was.....im not one to believe in luck carma  or any of that stuff... but something sure saved his eye...he still digs out bird shot from himself from a dove hunt that got a tad crazy.....this is the same guy who got t boned by another Harley rider out in New Mexico..... many years back... has a bad ankle now....said when the wreck was all over his foot was still attached by just a few tendons n skin.... no bone... no vines or arteries... he had made a good sum of money.. n had planned on living out there till he got layed up... ran out of money came back here started all over again, n is now well known as one of the best around...I'm glad he came back, just wished it had been under better circumstances.