Fishfiles

Fish

Caught a few this morning nothing to brag about but hey it's a meal.

PXL_20230605_182009510.jpg

• Like 3

We were fishing at my buddy's cabin on a small lake. Here's pics of one of the gang with some fish.

IMG_20230601_083117105_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230601_094559973_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

When it comes to Force outboards that's probably an improvement....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PROV said:

When it comes to Force outboards that's probably an improvement....

Was Force the old Chrysler?

Chrysler

Force Outboard was the unwanted stepchild of the outboard industry. Originally made by Chrysler, it was sold and resold until it finally disappeared. In the meantime, market pressure from outboard makers such as Yamaha and OMC -- maker of Johnson and Evinrude outboards -- cut into Force Outboard's market share.

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:
Chrysler

Force Outboard was the unwanted stepchild of the outboard industry. Originally made by Chrysler, it was sold and resold until it finally disappeared. In the meantime, market pressure from outboard makers such as Yamaha and OMC -- maker of Johnson and Evinrude outboards -- cut into Force Outboard's market share.

My Dad's first boat had a 35HP Elgin (Sears) made by West Bend (Sold to Chrysler). The fiberglass hood had 56 Chevy fins.  It did have a novel key lockout that restricted the throttle allowing the motor to be used on lake requiring lower HP limits.  The lower unit was the same for 35~55.  Good motor but loud and a gas hog.

• Like 2

My first outboard was given to me by my grandfather , it was a 35 Chrysler it was on the back of a 16 ft fiberglass Glasspro ---- never did have a Elgin , but I did have a ESKA, which I think was the same as a Wizard from Western Auto  or the Gamefisher /  Ted Williams from Sears 
  • Like 1

Our first boat was a 14' wooden SeaKing with the 35 Elgin.  Dad got it for a song since it was singed pretty bad in a barn fire.  After restoring it we got a couple good years before the lower unit took a dump.  Dad found a 28 HP at Sears in the fall of 1963 on sale.  Was $399 marked down to 199.  This Elgin as made by Scott McCullough.  Maybe 10 years later the neighbor had a Glastron  156 Tri hull with a Chrysler 55 for sale.  Dad bought it and on the first day out the engine ran lean and scuffed a cylinder.  Found out the dealership that worked on it didn't put the main bearing retainer pin in and the bearing outer rotated in the crankcase allowing play and air to leak around the seal.  Dad still had the old 35 West Bend with the bad lower unit so we took the 35 powerhead and put it on the 55.  We figured out that the problem with the Chrysler lower units was the seal behind the prop would get chewed up if the got the ski rope wrapped around the prop.  Dad made a spacer at work to prevent that.  I ended up finding another 55 with a bad lower unit for $125 and put that back on the boat 

• Like 2

Caught a few this morning for the freezer used nightcrawlers & raw shrimp / garlic powder

PXL_20230612_190401972.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, riverc said:

Caught a few this morning for the freezer used nightcrawlers & raw shrimp / garlic powder

PXL_20230612_190401972.jpg

Let me get this straight. You put garlic powder on the bait like a lure scent ?   

38 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Let me get this straight. You put garlic powder on the bait like a lure scent ?   

Yep works good do it with hot dogs too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, riverc said:

Yep works good do it with hot dogs too.

I have used the lire sprays and lure dip scents jugs and caught plenty of fish ,  but , the fish  were so think , you can throw an empty gold hook and catch them --- to prove a point with people I have fished with , I have sprayed WD40 or dipped my lures in gas / oil mix and caught fish on them 

When shrimping out of Empire back in the day , the white trout and croakers were thick at the Sandy Point oil platforms , after shrimping in the morning , use to save a bucket of by catch (minnows and micro shrimp ) , would smash it all up in the bucket mixed with some water , cut pieces of white cotton tee shirt , tie 4 down lines off the boat with 7 hooks on each one , dunk the hooks and tee shirt in the bucket and pull in trout and croakers 7 at a time 

• Like 1

Some thing else I use to do after shrimping was fish for king mackerels  , would take a fried egg flipper, one with holes in it  , tie that to a 1/4 rope by the handle of the flipper with a big swivel , tie a lure to the swivel   with  monofilament about 5 foot back , would let two rigs off the fantail about 100ft back , run around the rig base fast , almost getting up on a plane ,  the flippers would spin , bubbles would form thru the hole in the flipper and draw in the kings 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have used the lire sprays and lure dip scents jugs and caught plenty of fish ,  but , the fish  were so think , you can throw an empty gold hook and catch them --- to prove a point with people I have fished with , I have sprayed WD40 or dipped my lures in gas / oil mix and caught fish on them 

Hm....... Wd-40 for lure dip ?...... Well it's been said its good for aching joints... I'm not doing ether one, especially when it comes to consumption..... Of food... That spose to be healthier then red meat...... 

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hm....... Wd-40 for lure dip ?...... Well it's been said its good for aching joints... I'm not doing ether one, especially when it comes to consumption..... Of food... That spose to be healthier then red meat...... 

I think about anything that will make a sheen will work ----- 

* speaking of sheens , if you ever get into the mother load school of specked trout , they will eat till they are full , then regurgitate and eat it again , there stomach juices get into the water and makes a purple and gold sheen on the water  looks like gasoline , you know they are there 

I have seen this ^^^^^  in my fish tanks that I had , I had 2 - 300 gallon tanks at the same time , one was all fish that was from salt water while trawling , specks , redfish , sheepshead , drum , croaker , gar , flounder , I would feed them live grass shrimp , was something to see 

14 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Top this kiddies

IMG_8849.jpg

You put that on a cracker !!!!  ^^^^^^ 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I think about anything that will make a sheen will work ----- 

* speaking of sheens , if you ever get into the mother load school of specked trout , they will eat till they are full , then regurgitate and eat it again , there stomach juices get into the water and makes a purple and gold sheen on the water  looks like gasoline , you know they are there 

I have seen this ^^^^^  in my fish tanks that I had , I had 2 - 300 gallon tanks at the same time , one was all fish that was from salt water while trawling , specks , redfish , sheepshead , drum , croaker , gar , flounder , I would feed them live grass shrimp , was something to see 

Sigh..... Well.... I can say this.... I thought that chat convo about chocolate milk and sardines mustard... Was rough to think about..... I'll just stick with bumping for cats.(not typing out the other descriptive  word for cats ) .. Lol! .... Ahem... The comment to follows this, should b good.... Roflmao!! Better have a long rod.... I get your point... Ive even had catfish go crazy for flickering spinner baits.... I recon I've got to expand my taste for defrent sea / water foods, but I'm never again eating or trying anything that hangs onto the plate ... Squid and octopus is out! Just fooling about... I haven't felt this physically good in a while so I'm riding this feeling long as she last .... Cheers with sweet tea fellahs! .... Wish you all the same (smiles) 

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Sigh..... Well.... I can say this.... I thought that chat convo about chocolate milk and sardines mustard... Was rough to think about..... I'll just stick with bumping for cats.(not typing out the other descriptive  word for cats ) .. Lol! .... Ahem... The comment to follows this, should b good.... Roflmao!! Better have a long rod.... I get your point... Ive even had catfish go crazy for flickering spinner baits.... I recon I've got to expand my taste for defrent sea / water foods, but I'm never again eating or trying anything that hangs onto the plate ... Squid and octopus is out! Just fooling about... I haven't felt this physically good in a while so I'm riding this feeling long as she last .... Cheers with sweet tea fellahs! .... Wish you all the same (smiles) 

Only thing I can think of with your  post is , you are thinking that you eat the fishing lure after dipping them in fish attractant ?