_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

4 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Neighbor's rig

20201003_125448.jpg

20201003_125621.jpg

20201003_125514.jpg

hm...... I'd like to see that in action.... any chance of a video ?? ... 

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Yeah I'll take one someday. It is a machine that is for sure.

Makes a man and his old faithful splitting maul feel a bit inadequate... I'm not gonna lie lol

yea... I'll be looking for it soon.....  as for splitting mauls ... you might have the old outdated type... the fiskars x27 axe is the best I've ever used... by far, and I've been burning wood for as many years as i can recall... usually a semi dump trailor load every year ... i also have clames to several tree triming services ... and the county department ... but it is a hassle ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

as for splitting mauls ... you might have the old outdated type...

I love what I run but anything is inadequate compared to that machine lol

That 300 is the back is the workhorse from the look of it.

My original 95 that I learned to ride quads on looks very similar.

No flares was the most iconic look IMO. Awesome looking machine!

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

thanks .... she's done her work for sure .... that's why i purchased it.... i was using my 2000 300 project bike ... which i hated !!! .... now i just use the 97.. and the other just gets more customizing .... lol ... i posted it once ... and was offered a pile .... but I'm like shade ... this one will go to my grave with me ... 

On October 3, 2020 at 6:33 PM, TBRider said:

What's the purpose of the saw on the splitter?

looks like a good way to get hurt .... lol ... sure cant tow it to the field where the wood is ... that's what i like about my setup ... simple ... trusty 300, stilh o39 saw, and trailer .... besides.. longer sawed logs are harder to split depending on the type of wood. ... with a maul, or hydraulic splitter ... 

good shop stove build for these type rims .. 

but he's spot on... how to mount these ... I've done several... even the true two part split aka widow maker (not shown here)

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

Anyone have any recommendations with Pellet stoves? I'm in need for some supplemental heat in my basement living room for the wife while she's working from home with winter. Checked with my insurance company and I can put a freestanding pellet stove in myself (i don't want to pay someone the price of a new wood stove and installation even though i'd rather have wood) Ive seen quite a few used in the 400-700 range which is the price I'd be willing to pay to make it worth the pellet stove. (as compared to just using the electric baseboard heat).

1. what should I look for that's good/bad

2. it's heating a 400 sq ft area and would supplement the rest of the house as well, should i worry about the btu rating?

3. chimney recommendations? i need to go up a mere 3' to the wall penetration which will be about 2' above the ground outside. Is this a concern with a spark arrestor cap?

any and all info is welcomed.

Thanks,

Sled

• Like 2

Started moving wood in to lean to.  We don’t heat with wood but this is likely half of what we’ll burn this year as supplemental heat.  Have another covered pile down by garage that needs moved another day.  Daughter wasn’t happy I made her work on her vacation.  Teenagers.  Pffff

7B88A2DE-89BA-44ED-AE44-9280A1C3CFF9.jpeg

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

never had any dealings with a wood pellet stove ... but do post what you find out, I'd be curious... to know how they preform 

Yea i moved another pile in today, Ow my tail bone muscles! 

Couple diff buds i know have/had a pellet stove. My opinion then, is the same now... noisy, dusty, if the power goes off you cant run them (fan) & the cost of pellets can ad up after a while. Still have to load them in, so you cant go away for a day or so & it come on all on its own. One buddy had the igniter go a couple times, turned out it was the computer card the 2nd time that went. He was turned off them for good after that.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

will these not air draft if the power goes out ? 

No I know a few folks that use them and I haven't heard anyone say they can run it without power.

My wood furnace is the same, it needs the blower running to push the heat out or it will overheat, so years ago bought a generator...

• Like 1

Yeah I understand I need power to keep it going. I have a generator to back up the houses furnace and actually had to use it 2 years ago when it dipped down to -40f and the power went out. 
I want to elaborate a little more in why I’m hoping I can get some more feedback. 
First. My wife wants to be warm while working in the office. Remember guys, happy wife happy.... you all know. 
current setup in the basement is baseboard heat.  I ran it at 63 one January and it was $100. She would prefer it to be 72. 
so my options are pay $150 a month for imo wasted energy/heat or buy something else. The cheapest is a pellet burner. For around $500 I can have the entire set up. Or I can pay about $6000 to have a wood stove installed as my insurance doesn’t cover home owner installs. 
I figured when she’s back in the office in a year or two, if COVID ever ends, it’ll be a nice place to hang out with the family on Saturday nights or holidays. OR!!! I put in the garage and help my wood stove heat my 35x40 shop.

I guess I’m just trying to get ideas as to what to look For in a pellet stove good bad or indifferent. Unless someone wants to gift me $5k for a wood stove??? That’s always an option. 

• Like 1

my hardy works on a blower fan... but it can be air drafted if the power goes out.... you have to on  one these or the water jacket will freeze and crack the housing ... ether drafting ... a heat lamp, or YES  a separate power supply ... I'd hate to drain it all the way of water lol, and you can't add any type of anti freeze solvent .... more, and more people are looking for the complete mechanical models as aposed to the newer computer models that have a bad habit of boiling dry, or just going out ... not to mention ... all the electronical headaches... 

Change of heart folks... I called to verify with my agent... and he looked closer into the "code" if you will and I CAN install a free standing wood stove as long as it's UL certified tested. So the hunt for a soap stone style free standing stove begins... any recommendations? Is Vermont castings still the primo line?

• Like 3

I've looked into those .... soap stone models .... they look really nice beautiful!  i don't know of anyone who has one ... it's mostly the old cast old burners here ... be sure to update on what you decide on. Vermont castings has some really great models. 

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've looked into those .... soap stone models .... they look really nice beautiful!  i don't know of anyone who has one ... it's mostly the old cast old burners here ... be sure to update on what you decide on. Vermont castings has some really great models. 

My parents have two of them in their house which were our primary when I was growing up. What’s nice is they are very controllable. Damper, thermostat, and ash pan if needed for wet stuff. Their thermostats work great, you can snuff a fire right out along with holding right at 300 or 400. 
I have offers out to about 5 people on marketplace waiting for nameplate pictures to verify UL tested. Seriously 1 out of 5 posts ignore posting the nameplate on these stoves? Most ask about 500 more than their worth.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:51 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

@_Wilson_™

Here ya go.

First one is some small stuff just to show it working. It does pretty much any size that fits.

... and here is your money shot lol

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

@_Wilson_™

Here ya go.

First one is some small stuff just to show it working. It does pretty much any size that fits.

... and here is your money shot lol

That just gave me split wood. Ufff

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

My parents have two of them in their house which were our primary when I was growing up. What’s nice is they are very controllable. Damper, thermostat, and ash pan if needed for wet stuff. Their thermostats work great, you can snuff a fire right out along with holding right at 300 or 400. 
I have offers out to about 5 people on marketplace waiting for nameplate pictures to verify UL tested. Seriously 1 out of 5 posts ignore posting the nameplate on these stoves? Most ask about 500 more than their worth.  

wow,sounds like you could fine tune those really great

sure hate to hear that...your getting the run around .. . have you thought of another type free standing burner ? 

58 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wow,sounds like you could fine tune those really great

sure hate to hear that...your getting the run around .. . have you thought of another type free standing burner ? 

I’ve looked at a few others.  Be nice for the wife to have a wood stove that is easy to operate without a chimney damper. But always open to ideas. 

• Like 1

i wish i could be of more help.... only free standing wood burners I've delt with ... we're the old cast iron type... we used in tobacco stripping rooms ... most have been lost, or purchased by antique collectors.... over time. 

Bit more splitting today.  450 is earning its keep.  Much nicer to use than zero turn

EDF4A447-5C6D-4E5D-83C5-F525FF85783C.jpeg

• Like 2