_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Couldn't you season the outside of that stove the same way you would a skillet?  Rub some rendered bacon fat all over it, let it cure.  Your place will smell good, and your stove will be shiny and rust-free.

Jeep coming through with the old school solutions lol

I almost said this but was scared of being tarred and feathered for suggesting bacon grease 😂

Stove black (stove polish) would be my first choice and bacon grease right behind it. I would never paint a cast iron stove personally

with temps reaching 600-1100 degrees .... i doubt it would work long, but not a bad idea.... I'd like to see someone try it. 

Black stove polish is what I did. Found some at menards this morning. I think it looks pretty’s good. Now I need 4 strong men and a good cook to get this thing in my basement. 

1C6C5006-8A14-442B-9058-94756719C093.jpeg

2BB4B4F1-406D-459C-A41A-EA6C80B1A712.jpeg

• Like 7

Looks amazing and I think you made a great choice going with polish. You can keep that look forever now

38 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Black stove polish is what I did. Found some at menards this morning. I think it looks pretty’s good. Now I need 4 strong men and a good cook to get this thing in my basement. 

looks great sled....  even has the old school color match, almost perfect! 

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looks like a good score, thanks for the pics. what type of splitting axe, do you use ? 

I just have the Standard wedge trumper maul. I’ve been told by many the fiskers is the way to go but the one I have is like new so it’s hard to justify a new one when this one works well. 

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Couldn't you season the outside of that stove the same way you would a skillet?  Rub some rendered bacon fat all over it, let it cure.  Your place will smell good, and your stove will be shiny and rust-free.

I honestly thought about it this morning. I am a die hard cast iron pan guy and won’t cook bacon on anything but. I figured the bacon grease wouldn’t last as long though. And it would make me more hungry than normal every morning I stoke the stove. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I just have the Standard wedge trumper maul. I’ve been told by many the fiskers is the way to go but the one I have is like new so it’s hard to justify a new one when this one works well. 

oh trust me ... if your hand splitting. the x-27 is the way to go.... also fish listed a chopper maul, which i don't have but ... want one... if you ever have a chance to try the x-27 do it, just watch your fingers ... lol i almost lost a finger last year ... this pile you see stacked around the fiskars took just a couple hours ... much faster then the hydraulic wood splitter could do. IMO. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I was SHOCKED out how well the X27 splits wood. 

Heck of a lot easier than a sledge and wedges.

I got a Fiskars maul too, but I've hardly used it.  X27 is that good.

• Like 1

you never used the fiskars maul ? lol, i recall your post about them being on sell at  Wally World ... what i like about the x27 is it's light, with a long handle ... and talk about razor sharp...  I'm don't recall exactly who got me started looking ... ether you @retro or @shadetree it's my go to for hand splitting ...  and elm as big of a headache as it is... i was very impressed with how well  the 27 did. 

I’m glad you all are on this wood Stove  journey with me. Here’s the rest of the days progress. 

768B3A70-E2FF-4E68-8675-6272EFCA3C29.jpeg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I’m glad you all are on this wood Stove  journey with me. Here’s the rest of the days progress. 

768B3A70-E2FF-4E68-8675-6272EFCA3C29.jpeg

Looking great! Stove board might be something to consider if you like the tile too. 🤣

Don't know what to recommend brand wise but something like below

"Corner stove board"

610DNfv9T9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

Ohh I suppose the tile could potentially crack if too hot or just scratching the tile from the feet? 

10 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

looks great sled ..... i really like that tile floor... i have one layed in real brick, I'll get you some pics soon. 

19 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Ohh I suppose the tile could potentially crack if too hot or just scratching the tile from the feet? 

li wouldn't worry about cracks or scratches..... i doubt the heat will ever get high to crack the tiles ... you could always put a small blower fan behind the burner to help circulate the heat plus keep the furness temp on the lower side cool.... plus the draft of the furness will also help. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

12 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Yeah maybe on the heat but what I would think would happen first is the grout gets stained from ashes. Maybe firewood gets sat down on the floor while loading the stove and it scratches (or worse case breaks) the tile.

The feet are definitely a concern for damaging the tile but you could use small pads if that's all you were worried about.

Depends on your setup... food for thought.

Edited by oh400ex

That tile has been in this house for 20 plus years and supposedly been through a wood and pellet stove. It looks pretty much new along with the grout. I’ll just leave it be for this winter and see how it goes. Of course just about every piece of stove pipe I bought is wrong. So back to the 3 different stores I’ve scavenged parts from this week. Return paint and wrong pipe and picking things up to finish my cabin repair. 
I sure have a lot of coals in the fire right now. 
We had a 100’ popple hit our cabin this summer in a storm. I have the rafters and roof all fixed but needed a longer fascia board. Here’s some pictures of the damage. More stove work to do there too. 

8D73ED1D-44D3-4349-AFD0-3FDC7556C515.png

6ABBB03E-EDBF-48C0-9D49-BABB31C8FDEA.jpeg

D9139096-A220-48DE-BC98-3DF75491A6B5.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sled_22 said:

That tile has been in this house for 20 plus years and supposedly been through a wood and pellet stove. It looks pretty much new along with the grout.

i figured it had a burner at one this would be a dead give away... lol  (pic) , I'm like you id just use it as .... i doubt it will scar the tile, and wood shouldnt cause any damage ... some how i dont see you just up and dropping a log on the floor, but rather a nice neat stack ... like you have on the outside of your house. 

another reason i agree with your idea on the stove .... would be looks like your cabin is going to take some time to get repaired, Any thoughts on knocking a few overly close tall standing trees... that might drop on the cabin and cause more damage if ? another storm blows in, or are they already down from the previous storm ? 

image.jpg

The cabin looks worse than it was and I have most of the hard stuff done. I just need to put the new fascia board up and install the 2 new pieces of steel. Then fix the chimney too but since I’ve been down the isle a couple times in the store I should have all I need. She’ll be blowing smoke again by next week when the steel comes in. 

• Like 1

good deal.... sounds like your coming right along.... your profile doesn't list your location... where bouts (state are you in) I'm drawing a blank here, if ? you ever said. 

West central Wisconsin. I added to the members map but not profile. I should probably do that. 

ah okay.... i thought maybe you were down in southeast....I'm not showing on the members location map, let me know if you need any help ... setting it up. 

Ohh that came out really nice! 

See the little bit of ash that feel out in the last picture? That is why I mentioned the stove board. It's near impossible to avoid

I know it doesn't matter for your situation and agree personally but there is an example already 😂

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 2