_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

I just use the used oil to start the fires. Nice shop stove, I  think I have a thick wall drum here I could fab up like that.

• Like 1

So my basement is now empty and have to start hauling from my wood pile.  This was taken last fall, it actually is larger right now but about to get smaller....

Wood Pile.jpg

• Like 5

Always bad when somebodies is bigger than yours......😂

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Its an old log smokehouse , it was used for salt / sugar curing meats, i believe it was built back in the early 1800s ..... And the logs came from off this farm, back a few years ago, i used it for dry storing fire wood... I'll see if i can dig up more facts. It's sure enough stout structure!! 

it actually is larger right now but about to get smaller....

Better get to sawing / hauling 🙂

• Like 4

I just picked up a couple small saws to help out with the chores.  I ended up with a Stihl 009L and a Homelite Super 2.   The 009L is a little monster for a small saw.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, superrman77 said:

I just picked up a couple small saws to help out with the chores.  I ended up with a Stihl 009L and a Homelite Super 2.   The 009L is a little monster for a small saw.  

Ha I picked up an 009 a couple years ago and very happy with it.  I use it mainly for limbing and cutting 3" and under branches.  But it doesn't bog down at all if I continue up the branch to larger areas.  Very nimble and easy to handle, a little spark plug of a saw....  

2 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Ha I picked up an 009 a couple years ago and very happy with it.  I use it mainly for limbing and cutting 3" and under branches.  But it doesn't bog down at all if I continue up the branch to larger areas.  Very nimble and easy to handle, a little spark plug of a saw....  

I noticed the vibration right away but I can tell it's a good old saw.  

31 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

New 40 Ton log splitter followed me home recently. Man is this thing a Beast. 

EF4722AB-37C7-4925-8F53-6CCF50B6441C.jpeg

Now that is a splitter!!!

33 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

EF4722AB-37C7-4925-8F53-6CCF50B6441C.jpeg

I'll bet it quietly hooked itself on your hitch before you left the store and never realized until you got home...lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Good looking beast! ..... This is an older pic of my 35 ton....  I haven't added many engine hours  on it , least not as much as i should have.... I updated with two log catchers, fenders, 4 way slip on wedge, (spacer plate,) two magnetic oil plugs, and a tarp, if i was you... I might look into a 4 way wedge ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Nice splitter. I did get the 4 way slip-on wedge, well worth it and it makes quick work out of splitting. Especially with my 40 ton having a 9.5 sec cycle time. I also got a nice cover for it but have kept it in my barn so far so wondering why I bought the the cover LOL! 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Nice splitter. I did get the 4 way slip-on wedge, well worth it and it makes quick work out of splitting. Especially with my 40 ton having a 9.5 sec cycle time. I also got a nice cover for it but have kept it in my barn so far so wondering why I bought the the cover LOL! 😂

It would have to sit outside at my place so when you bring it over don't forget the cover....lol

• Like 3

Thanks! I noticed yours has an updated (taller) anvil ..... Lets see the 4 - way wedge ..... I'm thinking it's a speeco ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

22 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Thanks! I noticed yours has an updated (taller) anvil ..... Lets see the 4 - way wedge ..... I'm thinking it's a speeco ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My 4way wedge...It’s the same one you have from Tractor Supply for the 30 Ton splitter cuz they don’t have or carry one for the 40 ton with the 10” anvil. It sits a little higher than it should but still works and smaller pieces I just hold them up into position. I couldn’t find anything else that would fit it so went with it. I figured if I decide later I could cut the top off sol it will slide down farther but for now it’s ok. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, superrman77 said:

I have the Stihl MS193 which is the same as the 009L but instead Of the top Handel it has the traditional style back handle. Nice light little saw with plenty of power. The 193 was much cheaper than the 009 which is weird since the only difference Other then weight is where they mounted the handle, Motor specs are the same. 

• Like 1

just be aware that 4-way CAN come blasting off under extreme pressure .....(DO NOT TRUST THAT CHEESY retraining cable)  I talked with a friend HERE who told me about a good friend of his who was hurt by a wood splitter incident .... (Struck in the head, he survived :-) ) and i myself had logs piece come shooting out.... The worst was a couple days after i got the 4-way.... I had a log pop like a gun shot.... I never did see / or locate the chunk went shooting off to..... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I woke up to an icy mix this morning.  It's been raining off and on all day but that hasn't stopped me from messing with the Homelite Super 2.  I picked the saw up off the auction site for $40 bucks.  I put some fuel in it and it fired up and died after about 30 seconds.  I thought to myself oh boy.  I  took out the plug and realized I flooded it,  Once I unflooded the saw and tuned the carb to my fuel mixture it has ran perfect.  I did end up snapping the pull rope.  After replacing the rope I took it out back and put it through some paces.  It's running pretty well and the oiler is doing it's part.  I know a lot of people hate these saws but I think I like it.  I think it will be a great saw to keep on the back of the sxs.  

• Like 2

In the process of cleaning up my shop I rediscovered an MS180 a buddy gave me. 

He loaned it to someone and they ran it with the brake on and smoked the clutch and melted part of the crankcase.

Have a replacement case and clutch from Hutzl. Need to get into it and see if I can get it going again 

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

In the process of cleaning up my shop I rediscovered an MS180 a buddy gave me. 

He loaned it to someone and they ran it with the brake on and smoked the clutch and melted part of the crankcase.

Have a replacement case and clutch from Hutzl. Need to get into it and see if I can get it going again 

Have you had any  luck with the Hutzl parts?

22 minutes ago, superrman77 said:

Have you had any  luck with the Hutzl parts?

Never used them myself but from what I've read hit or miss.  For the price hard to pass up, but you know what the word is on this site, never never buy Chinese, only OEM....

11 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Never used them myself but from what I've read hit or miss.  For the price hard to pass up, but you know what the word is on this site, never never buy Chinese, only OEM....

Their saws are definitely intriguing.  I would like to grab a saw in the 50cc range.  I've watched all the videos on them.  The bad thing about buying used equipment now is you could be buying a Hutzl saw with Stihl covers and not even know it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, superrman77 said:

Their saws are definitely intriguing.  I would like to grab a saw in the 50cc range.  I've watched all the videos on them.  The bad thing about buying used equipment now is you could be buying a Hutzl saw with Stihl covers and not even know it.  

Very true on the used, unless you know and trust who you are buying from.  I have read about the kit saws you can buy and most say they are a good bargain but normally end up replacing some of the kit parts with OEM.  Not saws you would want to run a business with but for firewood guys they will be ok...

I followed a thread on AR15.com where a guy built a whole new saw out of Hutzl parts.  It took some finish work ok the parts, but it worked. 

In this case, saw was free, I have a good saw that size (346XP) so this will be a beater/loaner. 

Besides, all I needed was the crankcase 1/2 and a clutch