_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

We are lucky with the non-ethanal fuel , they are quite a few stations that sell it close to me , it is close to the same price , maybe a nickel more , it is $2.25 right now 

That is lucky.  We have it quite a few places around here but it's about 50 cents a gallon more!

• Like 1

You guys are lucky at gas prices. --- non-ethanal  gas is $5.78 a gallon here. 

• Like 2

I didn't realize sales tax was that high up there Mel.  Here it's about 10.5% and we have the highest sales tax in the nation (Arkansas and Tenn are about tied for highest in the nation, and Arkansas has a state income tax, where Tenn does not).

For all the taxes they keep adding on, it sure seems like we aren't getting much.  They just passed an additional gas tax here for road improvements a couple months ago, and on top of that they are now trying to get a 1/2 cent tax for road improvements, which was supposed to last 10 years and was passed in 2013....now they want to make it permanent.

• Like 1

Yup, just put 20 bucks in a 5 gal can and it didn't fill it..... wish I could make fuel runs to Maine

• Like 3

Our governor here in Michigan wanted to add a 45 cents gas tax to fix the roads,  didn't get her way thankfully... 

• Like 3

I got the rest of that pine tree cut into pieces and ready for splitting , looks like a bit more than a cord to me ----- I went to cut the stump down closer to the ground so I can drill some hole in it , fill it with used motor oil and diesel and try to burn it out , I cut it half way thru horizontally ,   then when I cut down vertically  to take a chunk off  it dulled the chain , I never hit the dirt with the chain , is a vertical cut that hard on a chain or maybe just coincidence  that it dulled out at that time 

the splitter is going thru this pine like butter , now would be the time to have the Wilson 4 way wedge 

fullsizeoutput_afc.jpeg

dNVOY2O6T+St3XDHOrfUBQ.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I love to burn wood , that fresh pine burns really good , it is juicy with the turpentine 

mXINvO2UTrut7zu8MyQPRA.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

That is lucky.  We have it quite a few places around here but it's about 50 cents a gallon more!

We have a lot of refineries within a 100 mile radius , which is good if you like non-ethanal fuel , but not so much if you like cancer , they call the stretch all the Mississippi River where the majority of plants are , Cancer Alley  -----   I think because the non-ethanal stations are mostly Mom and Pop , they sell it cheap so they get the business while completing against the major oil company stations that very seldom have the non-ethanal , the closest station to me is 2.5 miles and I am there every Saturday morning buying 10 gallons in cans , I thought about getting a big tank and a pump ----ever notice how a machine or truck that is burning ethanal fuel has black stains all around the fill spout from the fumes evacuating the tank 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, TBRider said:

Yup, just put 20 bucks in a 5 gal can and it didn't fill it..... wish I could make fuel runs to Maine

You know, I'm not THAT old, but I remember getting a 12 pack of Miller Lite and putting 10 gals of gas in my Jeep and that $20 would last me a whole day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

We have a lot of refineries within a 100 mile radius , which is good if you like non-ethanal fuel , but not so much if you like cancer , they call the stretch all the Mississippi River where the majority of plants are , Cancer Alley  -----   I think because the non-ethanal stations are mostly Mom and Pop , they sell it cheap so they get the business while completing against the major oil company stations that very seldom have the non-ethanal , the closest station to me is 2.5 miles and I am there every Saturday morning buying 10 gallons in cans , I thought about getting a big tank and a pump ----ever notice how a machine or truck that is burning ethanal fuel has black stains all around the fill spout from the fumes evacuating the tank 

Co-op here will provide a loaner tank and pump if you buy 1000 gals.  Friend of mine who farms gets his gas that way for all his farm trucks (and his wife).  Gets a pretty good discount on the gas too.

• Like 1

Yep fish chainsaws are meant to cut across the grain not with it.  Guys with big chunks "noodle" them down to size but use bigger more powerful saws.  I'm not sure if a chain is made for cutting with the grain, but it takes much longer than across.....

• Like 1

Hi: Your saw should cut vertically with no problem -- you must have hit something when cutting to dull the chain.

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1

That's why they make crosscut and rip saws, each designed for which way they cut.  Yes the chain will cut with the grain but my experience is it takes much more time and will dull the chain more quickly especially going thru knots....

• Like 4

When I was a kid in Michigan everyone had gone to gas at least in the medium sized town where I lived.

My grandfather had a cottage on Houghton Lake, but ... propane heating, and most it was summer use.

But my grandfather also had a cabin and some acreage near Mio and Fairview with an old stove, so I did have some wood burning experience. 

After all my adult life in Los Angeles, some people did burn wood where they could get away with it, but I never did.

Moving to rural Utah 2 years ago I thought I would get into wood burning, but since I ended up getting a new house, with all the hermetic sealing and fuel efficiency (natural gas) it didn't come with a wood stove.

But many of my neighbors do burn it, so I have been gathering firewood in the mountains with them, cutting some large trees and loading the pieces.

I do have one tree cutting story which I will relate later.

dc

• Like 2

Where in Michigan? 

Surprised they allowed wood burning in LA with all the smog....

• Like 1

Vertical cut isn't really hard on the chain but they aren't meant to cut that way, it's either one or the other. Standard cross cut chain or ripping chain. They should cut vertical though just not that great. I remember one time I was trying to get a shot on a marker down a line I was cutting, using the total station which only works on line of sight, not GPS, anyway there was this big SOB of a tree just on the line in my way, I didn't really want to knock the whole thing down so I just took about 6" out of one side of it vertically and got my shot. lol Took a bit of time to do but it did cut it.

• Like 4

On 11/28/2019 at 12:43 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

Got a question for you wood chucks, what's your favored chain type ? As for me,  I run full skip (double strap) chisel chains. 

image.jpg

Use 'skip-tooth' 404 on my falling saw . . . Husqvarna 2100 / 36" bar.  If you've got a fast saw (lots of chain speed) this works well.  If you 'rock' your saw, you've got less teeth to sharpen.  The old Pioneer  P41  uses a 3/8 pitch  1/2 skip.  

• Like 1

Naw, i never rock mine, i saw from bottom up i hardly ever get close to the the soil, although ..... Old grown in fence line is a dif story, simple way to avoid damage to my good chains is swop to an older chain, (for stumping) or just high cut the said tree., as for speed.. The ol o39 has plenty of rpm/power but i never run it at high speed, don't need to with a razor sharp chain,with that being said, I'm dealing with some bad health issues at the moment, so..... Firewood harvesting is on the back burner.

If you 'rock' your saw, you've got less teeth to sharpen

^^^ just one the reasons why she's armed with a full skip chisels 

another question  for you wood chucks, how many of you rip split your firewood ?? (Looks like too much trouble verses a wood splitter, or x27 fiskars splitting axe)  Personally, i never have used a rip chain

• Like 3

Hope that health issue gets right for you Wilson , positive attitude seems to always help , it is almost like natural medicine 

I am going to run the second tank of fuel thru that new Husqvarna this weekend and try and take that pine stump down low that is on  the fence line , my Dad use to mix up a concoction of stuff he would pour into holes he drilling in the stump and they would rot out in a year , but I can't remember what it was he mixed up 

what chemicals will best take out a stump and not poison the soil 

my plans now is to drill some holes down into the stump  , fill the holes with diesel and used motor oil , build a small fire over the top , and it will burn all weekend like candles burning , it is a slow process but it works , I have given my neighbor a few hundred gallons of used motor oil over the past few years , he has 2 acres and it was packed solid with trees when he took it over , he has gotten ride of many stumps that way 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Macarena Man said:

Old photo's from 1988 . . . . Alaska Highway.

Machines are all '86 350 4Trax's

Moose hunting.

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

I really dig that trailer.  That thing would come in handy!

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Hope that health issue gets right for you Wilson , positive attitude seems to always help , it is almost like natural medicine 

As Fishfiles mentions above . . . . hoping that your health issues resolve Wilson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I really dig that trailer.  That thing would come in handy!

That trailer is made of steel.  The body was cut and bent to shape in a metal fab shop.  It will carry a bull moose if the bull is cut in half, and the loin is slid into the chest cavity.  It also dumps.  We have two of them, both still in use after 30+ years.  The reach on both trailers slide out with the removal of two bolts.  If the reach on each trailer is turned 90 degrees and slid back in, the trailers can be slid together and coupled using the hitch cup and a  ball on each reach.  Add a small outboard and you have a very buoyant boat with the large flotation tires.

Another thing noted in the pics is the OEM tires.  This was when the tires were made of much better materials and would last for many years.  Eventually tire makers got in on the act with their 'super mudders' etc., and the OEM quality dropped off to very poor.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

That trailer is made of steel.  The body was cut and bent to shape in a metal fab shop.  It will carry a bull moose if the bull is cut in half, and the loin is slid into the chest cavity.  It also dumps.  We have two of them, both still in use after 30+ years.  The reach on both trailers slide out with the removal of two bolts.  If the reach on each trailer is turned 90 degrees and slid back in, the trailers can be slid together and coupled using the hitch cup and a  ball on each reach.  Add a small outboard and you have a very buoyant boat with the large flotation tires.

Another thing noted in the pics is the OEM tires.  This was when the tires were made of much better materials and would last for many years.  Eventually tire makers got in on the act with their 'super mudders' etc., and the OEM quality dropped off to very poor.

Those sound awesome.  I have a couple of old military 1/4 ton trailers for my Jeeps and they were originally designed to float as well.  Sometime prior to me picking them up others cut out the rear panel and make a tailgate.