Jump to content
JohnHenry

Front Wheel Bearing Slack

Recommended Posts

I've got an 06 500 Foreman. It had slack in the front right wheel when we bought it. I put a new bearing in it from Allballs Racing. We noticed a short time later that the wheel still had slack. Took it apart and the inner race had split right where it is scored om the center. Bought another bearing, Moose this time, and it still has slack as if it has a bad wheel bearing. I looked at the parts schematic to see if it was missing something and it doesn't appear to be. It isn't in the control arm bushings or ball joints. It's clearly wheel bearing slack.You can see the wheel and the outer CV joint wobble inside the spindle. I thought perhaps the outer race could be wobbling inside the spindle but I can't see it to tell for certain. Anyone have any experience with this problem that can point me in the right direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The bore of the knuckle that the bearing goes into  , at the bottom of the bore , where the bearing sits gets worn , the bearing will fit tight as your knocking it down into the bore , when it hits bottom , it will fit looser , the bearing can flex ----could that be your problem 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Those china bearings you bought might be the wrong size too? They'll sell ya anything that looks like a bearing just to get your money. Fair warning, those china bearings won't last very long, they're useless garbage.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Retro isn't lying about cheap China stuff ,  I ran AllBalls before and they never lasted one whole  season of riding , which is pretty much year round down here ---- I started using Pivot Works and they "were " excellent , got years out of them and they came with a one time unlimited  warranty , " but " , the company was bought out and absorbed into AllBalls and are trash now --- bite the bullet , pay the bucks and buy OEM bearings  , they will last longer 

 

If your bearing is loose in the knuckle , you can get some bearing race retainer and  glue the bearing in and take up the slack 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Retro isn't lying about cheap China stuff ,  I ran AllBalls before and they never lasted one whole  season of riding , which is pretty much year round down here ---- I started using Pivot Works and they "were " excellent , got years out of them and they came with a one time unlimited  warranty , " but " , the company was bought out and absorbed into AllBalls and are trash now --- bite the bullet , pay the bucks and buy OEM bearings  , they will last longer 

 

If your bearing is loose in the knuckle , you can get some bearing race retainer and  glue the bearing in and take up the slack 

 Yes, I figured as much. I went to the local Honda dealer expecting OEM but got Moose. I thought they might not be bad since they were selling them.

 

It occurred to me also that it might be the hub itself? I checked the slack in the bore the second time around and it appeared to be good. I'll need to disassemble again assemble on the bench I guess so I can get a good look at it. Thanks for the input, guys!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, JohnHenry said:

 Yes, I figured as much. I went to the local Honda dealer expecting OEM but got Moose. I thought they might not be bad since they were selling them.

 

It occurred to me also that it might be the hub itself? I checked the slack in the bore the second time around and it appeared to be good. I'll need to disassemble again assemble on the bench I guess so I can get a good look at it. Thanks for the input, guys!

 

The dealers here have the after market stuff along with OEM , usually it is the opposite of you what you experienced , they push the OEM on you unless you want the cheap stuff and ask for it 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The 500 is really bad for wearing the knuckle when the bearing goes bad. Enough so, I don't even mess with replacing the bearings just the complete knuckle assembly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 hours ago, toodeep said:

The 500 is really bad for wearing the knuckle when the bearing goes bad. Enough so, I don't even mess with replacing the bearings just the complete knuckle assembly.

 

Dang knuckles have gotten pricey.  Used to be about $75 for new ones.  Last time I looked they had gotten up there quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...