Bossdaddy

2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

Ok that's good -- now go to the relay connector and place a jumper wire from the R/Y and R/W wire and see if the bike will shift 

Did you have the jumper in place when you tried to shift?

Edited by Melatv

OK -- unplug the shift motor and do that test again with the jumper and check to see if you have 12VDC on the connector to the shift motor -- key on and push the shift buttons.

I will be testing the harness side of the connector, right ? Both probes in the connector or black on ground?

Hi: both probes in connector -- harness side

Edited by Melatv

I finally got a chance to do another check. Jumper installed, key on, both probes in connector, pushed buttons and got no readings. 

Wish I had your bike in front of me ----- Do this unplug the Engine relay (4 wires on it) test the harness side for 12VDC on the R/W and Green wire on the connector

Edited by Melatv

I know your frustrations, your dealing with somebody that don't know crap about the electronics of the bike. The engine relay is the the one I had the jumper on? 

Yes that the relay -- You are doing fine with your tests

Is your bike in Neutral when doing these tests?

Also when you check for 12VDC on the shift motor was the relay plugged in?

Ok -- Now put the jumper back in the relay connector -- unplug the ECM  -- and check for 12VDC on the R/Y wire of the 5 pin connector for ECM - black meter test lead on neg. of battery when testing.

If you don't have 12VDC on the R/Y wire of the connector -- check for continuity from the R/Y wire on that connector to the R/Y wire on the relay connector.

Edited by Melatv

Ok, I need to make sure I do this right. Jumper in on r/w and r/y, unplug ECM to me thats the 16p connector, then unplug 5p connector and test r/y harness side and black probe to ground.

Man oh man you two are doing amazing but I think a phone call or text would sure make it easier.  I have to save this thread if I ever have any issues with my ES, great troubleshooting Mel......

• Like 3

Thanks Mel, for jumping in to help! I have guests at home and two more guys are arriving today. I'll be back as soon as I can Y'all.

Okay Retro I will try to keep him busy --- now unplug the 5 pin connector of ECM and check the Green wire for continuity to ground

• Like 1

retro, by the time you get back Melatv will be ready for some relief after dealing with my old butt, I do appreciate all the help I'm getting.

• Like 1