TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

Update: So I've found a quad bike repair/dealership place down in Wales that have a few parts bikes in there yard. They will be able to send me a used oem one way bearing which is good news. The only down side is that there yard is closed at the moment due to the virus, so I'll have to wait until things start to go back to normal which is a shame... but what can you do ey. 

I also asked if they could provide me with a new piston kit. The guy said they would be able to get one (not sure what make yet, I'll ask about that), but needs to know what size. I never got round to taking the cylinder to a shop so not sure how big the new bore will be... What size do people go for when a new bore is needed? I'll still go to a shop and talk to someone about, just could do with a bit of advice before hand. 

Cheers. Hope everyone is well.

Pip

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Update: So I've found a quad bike repair/dealership place down in Wales that have a few parts bikes in there yard. They will be able to send me a used oem one way bearing which is good news. The only down side is that there yard is closed at the moment due to the virus, so I'll have to wait until things start to go back to normal which is a shame... but what can you do ey. 

I also asked if they could provide me with a new piston kit. The guy said they would be able to get one (not sure what make yet, I'll ask about that), but needs to know what size. I never got round to taking the cylinder to a shop so not sure how big the new bore will be... What size do people go for when a new bore is needed? I'll still go to a shop and talk to someone about, just could do with a bit of advice before hand. 

Cheers. Hope everyone is well.

Pip

you will need to mic the cylinder, check it to the service limit of the current spec, see how far its close to being out of service limit for that size ?, if its near , at, or above the limit for that size ?, then you must have it bored over to the next size up, sooooo, lets say its std ( standard size right now ) ?, you would then need to have it bored over/out to .025 service size, if its already been bored, ran at this size , and has reached it's service limit for this spec ?, then you go to the third size over/out, which would be 0.50, so on, and so on. your main prob ( dont know about over there for parts ? ), is finding a piston kit that will work !. over here, as i just found out the other day, my project has std rings ( 81.00 mm bore ), i can not get a piston, but i can still get std rings for it ?, but all other pistons that are oem above std i can get, but the rings are discontinued !..lol.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shadetree said:

you will need to mic the cylinder, check it to the service limit of the current spec, see how far its close to being out of service limit for that size ?, if its near , at, or above the limit for that size ?, then you must have it bored over to the next size up, sooooo, lets say its std ( standard size right now ) ?, you would then need to have it bored over/out to .025 service size, if its already been bored, ran at this size , and has reached it's service limit for this spec ?, then you go to the third size over/out, which would be 0.50, so on, and so on. your main prob ( dont know about over there for parts ? ), is finding a piston kit that will work !. over here, as i just found out the other day, my project has std rings ( 81.00 mm bore ), i can not get a piston, but i can still get std rings for it ?, but all other pistons that are oem above std i can get, but the rings are discontinued !..lol.

Okay so first step is checking what the current bore is? I'll check it out when I get a minute. Cheers shade 🙂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Okay so first step is checking what the current bore is? I'll check it out when I get a minute. Cheers shade 🙂

good deal, sounds like you got it under control..lol.

• Like 2

I measured the the cylinder and it looks to the stock bore of 81mm. I'll need it measured more accurately as my dodgy vernia caliper is pretty bad lol, probably get that done at the mechanics shop. 

20200504_161513.jpg

20200504_161524.jpg

1 hour ago, TrxPipUK said:

I'm also wondering what work I need to do to the valves? 

20200425_153516.jpg

20200425_153524.jpg

20200425_153534.jpg

is it me , or is the top ex stud show to be cracked on the head ?. remove the valves, clean them up with a bench wire wheel , lap the head valve area, check the valves in a cordless drill to see if any of them are bent ?. you will need a valve spring compressor tool to install the valves back in the head when you get ready to work on it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, shadetree said:

is it me , or is the top ex stud show to be cracked on the head ?. remove the valves, clean them up with a bench wire wheel , lap the head valve area, check the valves in a cordless drill to see if any of them are bent ?. you will need a valve spring compressor tool to install the valves back in the head when you get ready to work on it.

Yeah it is cracked 😬... has been on my mind on what to do about it. Do you think its gonna be a big problem? I'll get the stud out and check it's not cross threaded or anything. 

So I can wire brush the valves. That's good to know. When you say 'lap' the head valve area what does that mean?

I get the valves out, put the grinding compound on, then push the valve back into the head.

I put a short length of vacuum hose in my drill chuck that is a firm fit on the end of the valve.

Then I slowly spin the valve using the drill to grind.

Remove, clean up, reinstall.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I get the valves out, put the grinding compound on, then push the valve back into the head.

I put a short length of vacuum hose in my drill chuck that is a firm fit on the end of the valve.

Then I slowly spin the valve using the drill to grind.

Remove, clean up, reinstall.

Thanks man appreciate it

Just wondering... Would a 300 centrifugal clutch work in my 350d? If it does then I think I'll have that bearing sorted 

You only need a medium or fine grade of valve grinding compound. Buy just one small tube, cheapest you can find. Permatex brand is good...

• Like 1

Thanks @retro, ordered some of the chemico stuff. A lot of people recommend it over here. Cheers 

• Like 1

Hi all 🙂 !! 

Hope everyone is doing well. Been doing bits on the ol 350 but still got no centrifugal clutch bearing unfortunately. Got the cylinder done with a new piston (high compression piston is all I can seen to get over here) which is exciting, got the cracked exhaust threads fixed as well. Still haven't done the valves yet lol...

Anyway, as a side job I'm doing my front brakes and found the front wheel bearings need replacing as well... I don't want to get all balls bearings as I've heard they're pretty crap. Can one of you guys recommend some good bearings and I'll see if I can get them over here in the UK. Anyone know what size they are as well? Thanks peeps, all the best 

20200801_142415.jpg

20200801_144341.jpg

20200801_140649.jpg

20200801_140704.jpg

20200730_181519.jpg

20200729_140152.jpg

20200730_174009.jpg

• Like 2

did you see if rocky mountain atv has the wheel bearings ?. if not ?. i use boss bearings. if no one here has a spare centrifugal clutch one-way bearing ?, i may have a spare.

• Like 2

i just checked rocky mountain atv, they have the front wheel bearings in stock, not sure if they ship to you though ?. the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing is discontinued, if you can't locate one on ebay ?, and no one here has one ?, holler at me, i'll see if i can get ya fixed up !. not sure what the shipping cost will be to get it to ya ?..but hey...just how bad do you want it ?..lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

i just checked rocky mountain atv, they have the front wheel bearings in stock, not sure if they ship to you though ?. the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing is discontinued, if you can't locate one on ebay ?, and no one here has one ?, holler at me, i'll see if i can get ya fixed up !. not sure what the shipping cost will be to get it to ya ?..but hey...just how bad do you want it ?..lol.

Thanks man.. I'll have a look on rocky mountain, and also see if anywhere here supplies boss bearings 👍.

For the centrifugal clutch one way bearing, I should have one sorted by the middle of August. Just waiting for this atv shop to open their salvage yard back up. I was thinking about this bearing by 'celox'. Don't know if you've had any experience with these? 

Thanks so much for your offer! How much do you think the postage would be? Would love to get the old girl going. This bearing is pretty much the last thing mechanical wise.

Screenshot_20200802-212833_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200802-212911_eBay.jpg

2 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Thanks man.. I'll have a look on rocky mountain, and also see if anywhere here supplies boss bearings 👍.

For the centrifugal clutch one way bearing, I should have one sorted by the middle of August. Just waiting for this atv shop to open their salvage yard back up. I was thinking about this bearing by 'celox'. Don't know if you've had any experience with these? 

Thanks so much for your offer! How much do you think the postage would be? Would love to get the old girl going. This bearing is pretty much the last thing mechanical wise.

Screenshot_20200802-212833_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200802-212911_eBay.jpg

ummm..that is the starter clutch one-way bearing !..you need the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing..which is discontinued..lol.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, shadetree said:

ummm..that is the starter clutch one-way bearing !..you need the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing..which is discontinued..lol.

Ahh yes it is hahah.. silly me. Won't get that one then

Anyone know what size bearings I need for the front wheels? Had to destroy mine to get them out.