TrxPipUK

1992 350D Starting problems

Here's some pics of the oil filter:

The filter itself looked pretty clean but there was some grey smudgey stuff and black oil at the bottom of where the filter is held. 

20200303_182319.jpg

20200303_182010.jpg

20200303_182135.jpg

20200303_182058.jpg

1 hour ago, TrxPipUK said:

Is it something to be concerned about if the reverse lever shaft pushes in and out slightly?

20200303_185211.jpg

careful !..it will come out all the way !. tap it in, as your pulling cover, same with kick start shaft !!!. ( remove that bolt )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrxPipUK said:

Here's some pics of the oil filter:

The filter itself looked pretty clean but there was some grey smudgey stuff and black oil at the bottom of where the filter is held. 

20200303_182319.jpg

20200303_182010.jpg

20200303_182135.jpg

20200303_182058.jpg

normal wear and tear, but cranking it over like you were doing did not help much..lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

careful !..it will come out all the way !. tap it in, as your pulling cover, same with kick start shaft !!!. ( remove that bolt )

Ah okay I'll remember that. Bolt has been removed as well 👍 Thanks man

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

normal wear and tear, but cranking it over like you were doing did not help much..lol.

Yeah live and learn ey ... lol

5 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

That oil looks pretty gunky and dirty... is there water mixed in it? If I remember right you just changed the oil and have only been cranking it over using the starter? Maybe its just the camera,,, but that oil looks bad to me. Lets see what it looks like under that side cover once its off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, retro said:

That oil looks pretty gunky and dirty... is there water mixed in it? If I remember right you just changed the oil and have only been cranking it over using the starter? Maybe its just the camera,,, but that oil looks bad to me. Lets see what it looks like under that side cover once its off.

Yeah that's what I thought, I have just changed the oil but this still looks dirty. What are the signs of water in it? I'm gonna try get the cover off today, fingers crossed it's all good.

If there is water in the case you might be able to see droplets in the oil since the motor has not been started up and the oil hasn't mixed with contaminants completely. Where mixing has occurred the oil will have an opague brownish, milky appearance similar to chocolate milk.

• Like 1

I've just got to the stage of removing the cover. All the bolts are out and all parts in the way taken off. But the cover still feels like it's bolted on, but it's not lol... Do I just need to tap it with a rubber hammer round the edges to break the seal or something?

Thanks 

20200304_115725.jpg

Edited by TrxPipUK

14 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Never mind, I got it off lol

but no pic of it off ??..we ..want...pics !..lol.

• Haha 1

So the cover is off! I feel like that's definitely going to be the easiest part of this job lol. 

Got to say it's not looking too clean in there 😞 .... At the bottom there is a layer of grey gunk stuff with what looks like water droplets, as well as black bits of debris. 

Here's some pics for you shade lol (and everyone else :

20200304_121033.jpg

20200304_121039.jpg

20200304_121121.jpg

20200304_121849.jpg

20200304_121728.jpg

20200304_121124.jpg

20200304_122712.jpg

20200304_121302.jpg

20200304_121131.jpg

20200304_121459.jpg

20200304_121322.jpg

20200304_121507.jpg

20200304_121718.jpg

• Like 2

yep..deff has had water inside the engine !!!. as for that black gunk ?, no telling what its from ?. word of caution !!!!!!!!!!!!!, that centrifugal clutch nut is left handed threads !!!. turn it clockwise to remove it. the change clutch is right handed threads ( normal threads ). both have to come off in order to get the cam chain out. the oil pump, oil pump cross over line all have to come out in order to get the cam chain out. i will be putting my '88 trx350D motor back together today (i hope ?!..lol ) please take the time to study the pic's of parts going back together, same engine as yours !.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, shadetree said:

yep..deff has had water inside the engine !!!. as for that black gunk ?, no telling what its from ?. word of caution !!!!!!!!!!!!!, that centrifugal clutch nut is left handed threads !!!. turn it clockwise to remove it. the change clutch is right handed threads ( normal threads ). both have to come off in order to get the cam chain out. the oil pump, oil pump cross over line all have to come out in order to get the cam chain out. i will be putting my '88 trx350D motor back together today (i hope ?!..lol ) please take the time to study the pic's of parts going back together, same engine as yours !.

Thanks man. 

So I should just clean out that crap as best I as I can? And get on with changing out the cam chain?

Also what's the best way to hold the clutch without a clutch holder? Or do I HAVE to have a clutch holder? 

Yikes.  That screen looks horrible.

For the clutches, I used to stick a leather glove in the gears, which would keep everything in place to get it loose.  An impact spins it right off without needing anything.

• Like 1

@jeepwm69 Yeah the mesh was pretty nasty lol.

Thanks for that jeep. Jammed the gears with a leather glove and the first clutch is now off. 

How do you get second one off? Because you can't just jam the gears with it. The inner bit turns now that the springs are off. 

I don't have an impact either 😞

Edited by TrxPipUK

Put the other gear back on, and put the glove back in there and loosen both nuts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Put the other gear back on, and put the glove back in there and loosen both nuts.

The problem is more that this inner part now turns because the springs aren't in anymore 🤔

Should the kickstart shaft wobble?? It feels like it shouldn't... just checking. 

Still haven't got that second clutch off lol... Gonna make a holder that bolts onto the 4 bolts.

20200304_165757.jpg

20200304_165546.jpg

air impact is your best friend !!!!. 27mm socket, right handed threads !.

just put a glove on, or bar handed is how i do it, zip the nut off with my air impact driver with a 27mm socket, RIGHT HANDED THREADS !.

33 minutes ago, TrxPipUK said:

Should the kickstart shaft wobble?? It feels like it shouldn't... just checking. 

Still haven't got that second clutch off lol... Gonna make a holder that bolts onto the 4 bolts.

20200304_165757.jpg

20200304_165546.jpg

READ WHAT I POSTED ^^^^^ !!.

3 hours ago, TrxPipUK said:

Pics of the mesh 

20200304_143037.jpg

20200304_143030.jpg

WOW !, that is a mess to say the least !!!..lol. from looking at that scren ^^, i know what i would do..but this is me..lol.

• Like 1