Akunin

Firearms

11 minutes ago, Akunin said:

Great gun and you can't beat that price. I like the bullpup for home defense, easy to sweep corners and narrow doors without having to drop the barrel as much as a traditional long gun, but at the range I prefer to keep the action a little more away from my ears and face. Lol 

The one I posted is a ATI Bulldog, can be found retailing for $499.

Makes sense. This vr80 is very long lol. Man 499 for the ati has me thinking now haha. I would bet when i tell my brother about it he will own it. He really liked his ati ak47 that he sold not long ago. Traded it in for a palmetto arms ar47. Shoots 762 but everything else about it is ar15. Fun weird gun lol

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 7:15 PM, PROV said:

None of this is new news if you are an avid gun guy. I've been an NRA member for years and we have spent lots of time and money fighting for everybody's rights. It's funny how many people didn't give a crap until they feel personally threatened. As far as I'm concerned the only reason the first amendment still stands is because of the Second Amendment. Liberal media can say anything they want right or wrong with no consequences. Yet firearms owners are held to the highest standards of anyone. If you don't join those who speak out against this abuse of our rights then you don't have a dog in the fight.

Agree.. I've been fortunate to have LEO family and friends and that included some opptys to train at a higher level. I take my decision to carry lethal force seriously and so I wanted the extra skills and knowledge.  several of the courses involved tossing 300-500 rds on a weekend and I'd blow through half that much again just preparing for the class so I wouldn't be embarrassed at bad performance.

So it was normal for me to have a couple thousand rounds of various cals on hand...most folks would see that as extreme...but these days, they'd see it as a fantasy dream they will never have.

Believing this shortage will be for a longer haul, I'll admit I'd like to have more ammo, but honestly the past couple years I've felt my age and the training level has slowed along with the death of my dear friend who had been my primary instructor (owned his own very nice biz..not garage guy...but serious facility)

So hybernating to a degree will be the order of the day  now...still doing drills, but with 22 pistol and rifle instead of 9 or 45 and 5.56

• Like 2

Put 125 rounds through the vr80 today. Who needs a chainsaw? I got a way louder, way more fun way of taking down a dead tree. Just so any tree lover knows before ripping me a new one. This tree is missing the whole top its just a tall stump left. Rest fell in a storm earlier in the year. Also it had only been shot by pistols before my 12 gauge got ahold of it! LoL

20201129_140134.jpg

• Like 5

Here it is. Just got it today. Field stripped it, lube, clean & tightened stock. Installed carry handle & laser bore sight. 

8624FB70-3D8B-4CB5-86D4-E2CB8FC33459.jpeg

5D4CC4C3-95F2-4B7C-8174-2CB312F1A639.jpeg

• Like 6

looks like a ton of fun..and a slightly sore shoulder at the end of range day (grin).   couple years back me and a bud went head to head to see who's platform failed first.

I had my modified mossberg 930 tac and he had a pricey FN. We were running a combination of #8 shot, low brass buck, high brass buck n slugs...we called it a morning at the 90 round mark..with no fails on either gun..felt that in the shoulder for the next day fer sure.

not like clay where you're running light rounds.

but I like your new gun...man comes out the front door with that, he doesn't even have to say "get off my lawn"...just seeing that one come out would be enough to send the rats running

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Wheeler , I want one BAD !!! ----  How many does it hold ?  ---- 

Mine holds 10+2. There are other models that hold 14+2 & 16+2!! 

there are only 2 in Canada that I can find for sale right now! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Mine holds 10+2. There are other models that hold 14+2 & 16+2!! 

there are only 2 in Canada that I can find for sale right now! 

Nice , 16+2 sounds good , is that 3 inch shells or 2 3/4 ??    Another question , can you fire off two barrels at once ,  or is it like left barrel , right barrel , then pump 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice , 16+2 sounds good , is that 3 inch shells or 2 3/4 ??    Another question , can you fire off two barrels at once ,  or is it like left barrel , right barrel , then pump 

They hold up to 3” shells. Can only fire 1 barrel at a time. Left then right barrel is how they fire. (Might be able to modify it to shoot both?)

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

hm....3 inch shells ? yeah i want one! talk about some serious home pertection!  i keep my 870 super mag loaded with 3 inch shells. 

• Like 1

@Wheeler is that stock a buffer tube or just a bolt on stock? Im wondering how the kick on that bad boy is gunna be is all. Its funny how all these "shot guns" are coming out of the wood work all the sudden. Skirting the AR clasification. Load that thing up with home defense rounds and you have zero concern of home invasion. You may even welcome it! Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@SlammedRanger it’s a bolt on stock that’s adjustable. Ya the Turkish gun makers have lots of kewl shiiit out there now a days. It even came with 5 different choke tubes!!! 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:02 AM, Fishfiles said:

Did any of you'll read the article  came out of  the " might soon be " new administration , it is about  a preposed $200 per year gun tax  , also a tax on magazines over 10 shots , reading in between the lines , it is really a registration fee , would guess so they know who has the guns and where to come and get them , also mentioned was if you are caught with a unregistered  gun or high capacity magazine , it then it would be a felony and the gun/mags  confiscated -----also read that mags over 10 shots are going to targeted as being illegal in legislation  and manufacturers required to quit production of them for the civilian market , also mentioned was flat out outlawing mags over 10 shots ---wish I would have saved the link to the story 

Recently the CA ban on high capacity mags has been ruled unconstitutional by I think a Federal Court.  Their decision was based on it being so difficult to get a firearm without the HCM that it infringes upon the 2A.  Ears tuned in to see if it is appealed and if so when it gets heard by the SCOTUS.   At that point if the SCOTUS rules in favor or 2A rights the rest of the states should follow suit quickly.   Remember the SCOTUS ruled the ACA couldn't impose a "tax" on those not having health insurance.  Now with the SCOTUS being a conservative majority I'm not too concerned anything will happen.  Now, if I could just get some primers....

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/9th-circuit-rules-californias-ban-on-high-capacity-magazines-violates-the-second-amendment

Edited by 56Sierra
add link
  • Like 4

pretty much sums it up Sierra.

I'm sure there will be many approaches to gun control in the coming couple years here. wish it weren't the case, but I had always figured we'd see things swing back towards the Clinton era ban..either because of a bad social shooting (nother Sandy Hook kind of thing) or just a major power shift in our govt.

Stocked as much as I thought was reasonable..and then stocked more...happy with what's on hand, and grateful to the "me" of the last several years that went ahead and filled the extra 50cal cans, and bought extra mags. Able to turn my attention towards other hobbies right now instead of chasing boxes of bullets.

• Like 1

Ironic the 2nd came up in this discussion ..... a new assault on the 2nd Amendment begins  today , read  an article this morning that the president elect said guns are a  " health crisis  that needs to be addressed immediately " , Corona  is going to be used as the next  stepping stone to ban guns  ---- the next 4 years is going to be tuff 

• Like 1

Oh grand.  Another angle exposed.  Being early retired and not 65 we had to buy our own heath insurance after COBRA ran out.  Hint:  We didn't find it through the ACA.  In order to make it reasonably priced our plan has exceptions and plenty of them.  Legally drunk and you get hurt?  No pay.  Racing cars, bikes, ATVs etc and you get hurt?  No pay.  BUT! No where are firearms mentioned anywhere in my policy.   Not even if I shoot my eye out with a BB gun.  Get shot?  They pay.  Health crisis?  Yeah, right.

7 hours ago, Bighanded said:

pretty much sums it up Sierra.

I'm sure there will be many approaches to gun control in the coming couple years here. wish it weren't the case, but I had always figured we'd see things swing back towards the Clinton era ban..either because of a bad social shooting (nother Sandy Hook kind of thing) or just a major power shift in our govt.

Stocked as much as I thought was reasonable..and then stocked more...happy with what's on hand, and grateful to the "me" of the last several years that went ahead and filled the extra 50cal cans, and bought extra mags. Able to turn my attention towards other hobbies right now instead of chasing boxes of bullets.

Yeah, the other hobbies.  When I retired my home office became my reloading area.  I could even open the window behind the desk and test loads out to 50 yards.  This was my wintertime sanity keeper.  This time every year we'd set up two presses and start loading Christmas presents for one son.  He likes to unload 30 rd mags as fast as he can on his AR when he comes to visit so each year he gets 500 rds of .223 for Christmas.  Not this year, I'm afraid.  My primer supply is down to 6,000 split evenly between small rifle and large rifle.  Problem is I use small rifle primers much more often than the large.  I even use the CCI 400s for the 9mm.  For 22LR, I'm good for busting up dirt clods and tin cans but my target ammo is almost gone.  I was just about to get another case of CCI Standard Velocity when the SHTF so I'm down to about a brick of that.  One of my 9mm has a 22 conversion kit so I'm able to keep somewhat in practice.   You know what's sad is if asked, many of us would say we don't have the ammo reserves we'd like to have but if the media found out a quarter of what many of us had on hand they would flip their lid and call us all sorts of unpopular names.

Last month the reloading equipment got boxed up and put away for better days.  Another hobby I've had for many years is remote control aircraft and building plastic models.  Since some of the quad flyers have ruined the RC hobby for anyone that flies anything I don't fly my planes as much as I used to so it's back to building plastic airplane models for a winter pastime.

This week is gun season in Ohio so 4wheeling in the woods isn't the nicest thing to do to the hunters on adjoining lands so that's out this week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

earlier this year , when all things guns went crazy on price and availability.. I simply shut my closet door, hybernated most of my larger caliber range time, pulled the lil 22 stuff out and kept on with that.

but I also watched my music concert industry folks suffering and selling gear on the cheap..so I turned my focus away from chasing a gun or box of ammo, and picked up some very very good deals on some pro audio gear that I'd been wanting to add to my stage rigs..now, that biz remains shuttered right now mostly too of course, but I'm good to sit on it, cause it's not my source of income..it's my side-biz as part of my longer term retirement years planning..so it's ok that the audio trailer stays shuttered for a while.

to get my mind off of the negatives of the world news, I've enjoyed more hobby time around the holidays to do things like long overdue mainteance and repairs on my old Lionel trains...tradition is for me to have several running around the christmas tree and the grandkids LOVE playing with them.

right now I'm not "restoring" but I am refurbishing my dad's 90 yr old Lionel prewar tinplate..fresh wires, solder, dremel tool time to get old rust n oxydation off the wheels etc...it won't ever look shiney new...not my intent..it's a treasure with many miles of play on it through his life, and mine...and it'll be a tribute to have it doing some laps around the tree this season.

then I'll put it back on display and let the kids play with my 1950s stuff and even some more recent MTH gear that I don't worry about getting scratched.

lil bit of honda Trail90 work on tap as well...and the boys (son and son in laws) have really been after me to get back into some video gaming..new VR setup is coming in Santa's bag..so I'll be nerding out to some Star Wars Squadrons in 3D VR...you'd think a guy that just turned 64 would grow up...nope!

• Like 3

I just hope my 22 can comes before the commies take over in DC....if it happens.  I'm still holding on to hope that the rampant fraud will actually have consequences for those involved.  In the meantime my can application is with the ATF. Could be a month, could be a year, could be never.

I recently picked up a couple of old Bair shotgun reloaders.  Haven't set them up yet.  I also expanded into 300BLK, picking up a Remington 700 in 223 on clearance at Wallyworld ($199), rebarreling to an Advanced Armament Co threaded barrel in 300BLK ($99 plug $100 for the install), sold the 223 barrel for $120, and got a Nikon 2.5-10 Prostaff for $54 (also a wallyworld closeout).  Then I discovered that 300BLK is unobtainium now, so I bought dies and will have to make my own out of 223 cases, so going to have to get the Rockchucker out again.

But yeah, dark times for the 2nd Amendment and the liberty that it protects.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Ironic the 2nd came up in this discussion ..... a new assault on the 2nd Amendment begins  today , read  an article this morning that the president elect said guns are a  " health crisis  that needs to be addressed immediately " , Corona  is going to be used as the next  stepping stone to ban guns  ---- the next 4 years is going to be tuff 

Yep!!, and dont ya got to drink Corona 1st., with a lime an salt handy? for ya get the hang of it. the 2nd amendment is always assaulted by some, that want con-TROLL.

best stop for i get to political.

Edited by LedFTed
dont need to be said

4 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I turned 64 three weeks ago and was reminded of the Beatles song.🙄

I had you figured out with the 56Sierra/64  , I am 58/62 ---which Beatles Song you were reminded of , Helter Skelter maybe , LOL ---- we got a thread dedicated to " Music " , post us your favorite Beatles Song  !!! 

10 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Yeah, the other hobbies.  \

\  Another hobby I've had for many years is remote control aircraft and building plastic models.  Since some of the quad flyers have ruined the RC hobby for anyone that flies anything I don't fly my planes as much as I used to so it's back to building plastic airplane models for a winter pastime.

We got a hobby thread also , I have had planes , crashed,  lost and sold them , still have a awesome remote control boat from when I was 18 years old , 87mph on  a member at the pond State Trooper radar , also have a couple of remote Jeeps 

• Like 1

youd be amaised at some of the wood crafts in that thread, all in all it's a great threat, should be listed as a favorite on anyone's list. i did a few plastic models myself in my younger days ...( i built one cat dozer i customized took blue ribbon at model convention. i made the mistake of selling it)  . painted all detailed up with back grounds and all, i never did try a model air plane, but had some fun with remote controled units, but on the farm, they didnt last too long, lol. but, some of the ones out not are pretty nice gas powered units .... high in price. 

• Like 2