Akunin

Firearms

Got lucky didn't have to buy high scope rings. The gunsmith was able to cut back the rail and that was enough to get the eye relief & clearance I needed for the 50mm. So while waiting for that to get done went looking at AR's and bought this one DB-15 5.56 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bighanded said:

always a favorite quote (Grin)

and yes, the TV news folks consider 3 boxes of bullets and more than one gun to be "an arsenal " !!!! EEEK!

They would freak if they saw the 6,000+- .224 bullets.  Add to that the .177, 6mm and 30 cal boxes on top of boxes stashed.  My weakness is only 6k small rifle primers and 2k large rifle primers.  Of course that was the count before the unfortunate boating accident.

6 hours ago, riverc said:

Got lucky didn't have to buy high scope rings. The gunsmith was able to cut back the rail and that was enough to get the eye relief & clearance I needed for the 50mm. So while waiting for that to get done went looking at AR's and bought this one DB-15 5.56 

image.jpg

image.jpg

gonna have my bud al build me a ar-15, 5.56 ammo style. but he wants me to shoot a 300 black out ar-15 as well, he's bringing 3 ar-15's to deer camp next sat, wants me to shoot all 3, and pick out the one i like the most ?, then he will build it for me, most likely i'll use the dreaded 30 rd mags..lol.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bighanded said:

Jeep is right...nothing wrong with a PSA15..and honestly for civilian light use, an AR15 platform should be in that $600ish range..not the $2200 range

I have both ends of the spectrum.

A 2011 Colt LE6940 (stamped restricted law enforcement/govt only). It is basically M4 minus the select fire option

and at the low end, I have S&W M&P15, which when I bought it a few years ago, was a $600 carbine..now they are priced at $900 as they have gained in popularity as a value gun.

The M&P is actually living in my truck since 10/7.  Replaceable 

The Colt stays home and it'll be a bad day when  need to press it back into service.

223/5.56 is illegal for deer in my state so there's not pretending that these are "sporting rifles" for me.. They are self defense tools

My battle rig, however is an Armalite AR10.   I trained and am solid on it out to 600yards offhand prone on the ground. and that 7.62 round will do the job at that distance.

Uncle Sam seemed to think the 5.56 was good out to 600 meters, and I still have an original original early 1990s Colt AR15 rifle but I've not had it past 400yards

Ammo is back up in price due to the recent Lake City notice and the usual panic run.

With the war fronts, I don't expect it to recover too quickly, so get what you can, even at premium prices to match that new carbine.

But yeah, it's time for every good man to have one in their home.

used to be a 3 round shotgun for hunting, a 22lr ruger 10/22 for plinking, and maybe a revolver bedside was all   a household needed.

as far as i know ?, 5.56 is not illegal here in arkansas to hunt deer ?, but i will ask the boss that is building me a ar-15, 5.56 or may go with a 300 black out ?, pretty sure i'll go with the ar-15, 5.56 style ?, will know when i shoot them at deer camp next sat !. p.s. i use my trusty 30-30 for killing my vittles..lol.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:06 PM, shadetree said:

as far as i know ?, 5.56 is not illegal here in arkansas to hunt deer ?, but i will ask the boss that is building me a ar-15, 5.56 or may go with a 300 black out ?, pretty sure i'll go with the ar-15, 5.56 style ?, will know when i shoot them at deer camp next sat !. p.s. i use my trusty 30-30 for killing my vittles..lol.

223 is just a bit small to hunt with by most people's opinions.  Will it kill a deer?  Absolutely.  Most poachers around here use a 22 mag.   But using a 223 might result in some lost game too, so most people who are humane hunters use something bigger.

The 300 BLK is pretty much a round that shines when using a suppressor.  It's also about a buck a round for ammo, so keep that in consideration while you're looking.

Building an AR is like legos for adults.  If you had an assembled one to look at for reference I'll bet you could assemble a lower in a half hour, and the uppers usually come assembled and headspaced.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

223 is just a bit small to hunt with by most people's opinions.  Will it kill a deer?  Absolutely.  Most poachers around here use a 22 mag.   But using a 223 might result in some lost game too, so most people who are humane hunters use something bigger.

The 300 BLK is pretty much a round that shines when using a suppressor.  It's also about a buck a round for ammo, so keep that in consideration while you're looking.

Building an AR is like legos for adults.  If you had an assembled one to look at for reference I'll bet you could assemble a lower in a half hour, and the uppers usually come assembled and headspaced.

I spent some time with Native Islanders on Molokai Hawaii and the have Axis Deer there.  I inquired what caliber they use thing 223 would be adequate.  22Mag was what they use.  The baffled look on my face got him that add that they shoot them between the eyes at night.  I told him spotlighting was illegal on the Mainland and he said it was there too but the game warden holds the flashlight.

• Haha 2

carolina deer run small compared to the old PA/Ohio breeds we used to hunt.  But small or not, we can't use 223.

on the rare occasion that I hunt, I still just carry my old Winchester lever 30/30  iron sights.

Growing up, Dad always preferred his old shotgun with slugs

either way, freezer was always full of meat

Get the AR15 for home/backyard defense as these times we're living in are getting crazier by the day.

For plinking anything bigger than the yotes out back, I'd still prefer something a little larger.

in fact, my coyote gun isn't even one of my ARs..it's my old Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle.

Edited by Bighanded
spelling
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:19 PM, riverc said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

son in law has been looking at budget ARs the past couple months too.

couple local guys also recommended the Diamond Back products

run a couple hundred rounds...make sure you can count on it and , yeah, should serve well for zombie defense.

Congrats!

Closest gun I own to an AR is my modified matching # SKS… she’s very accurate for what it is! I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer or coyote with it. 

IMG_3916.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

from what al has told me..yes..300 blk rounds are pricey. he's bringing 3 ar-15's he's built, gonna let me shoot all 3, and pick out the one i favor. pretty sure the 300blk has some '' legal '' paper work that gets pricey ?, i just picked up a box of 9mm ammo, 200rds. 115gr, and a box of 5.56, 55gr, 150 rds, out the door was $ 167.51 < shiver >. this AR-15 is gonna cost me about 400 or so bucks, should be well worth it ( i get a deer camp discount )..lol.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Closest gun I own to an AR is my modified matching # SKS… she’s very accurate for what it is! I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer or coyote with it. 

IMG_3916.jpeg

bottom left..is that a henry ?. very nice collection !. i trust my marlin 30-30 very well. i also have a model '94 winchester 30-30, she's my safe queen..lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

IMG_3916.jpeg

i sware..i keep looking at these..and first thing comes to mind is '' the walking dead '' show !..rofl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, shadetree said:

bottom left..is that a henry ?. very nice collection !. i trust my marlin 30-30 very well. i also have a model '94 winchester 30-30, she's my safe queen..lol.

Bottom left is my modified Marlin 45-70. Above that is my modified Marlin 30-30 

Sorry to change the direction of the conversation here...

My son just turned 11 and I am slowly going to work him into firearms.  For us, guns are simply a tool for hunting or a little fun target shooting so we are going to get something very simple.  He can just hold my marlin 80 .22 steady enough on a table to hit a target, but I want to find him a .22 that is smaller and lighter (and very cheap).  I also want to get him a .410 and there are several youth models I am curious about.  Rural King carries a brand called G-Force and I have also seen a lot about Hatfield making a nice youth model.  Does anyone have experience with either of these manufacturers?  I know they are cheap, but I am looking for cheap.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, shadetree said:

from what al has told me..yes..300 blk rounds are pricey. he's bringing 3 ar-15's he's built, gonna let me shoot all 3, and pick out the one i favor. pretty sure the 300blk has some '' legal '' paper work that gets pricey ?, i just picked up a box of 9mm ammo, 200rds. 115gr, and a box of 5.56, 55gr, 150 rds, out the door was $ 167.51 < shiver >. this AR-15 is gonna cost me about 400 or so bucks, should be well worth it ( i get a deer camp discount )..lol.

Only if you get a suppressor.   And if you're NOT planning on a suppressor, the 300BLK is kind of a wasted round.

Suppressor is $200 "tax stamp" along with a year wait (more or less) and an extensive background check.  I held onto hope for years that the "hearing protection act" would pass, but finally gave up and rendered unto Caesar and got a can.

A 22LR suppressor is fun for me, the wife, and kids to shoot.  Centerfire suppressors (like a 30 cal for 300BLK) are expensive, require expensive subsonic ammo, and have a very limited range. 

I'd skip the 300blk, get you a 5.56, and call it a day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, walhonding300 said:

Sorry to change the direction of the conversation here...

My son just turned 11 and I am slowly going to work him into firearms.  For us, guns are simply a tool for hunting or a little fun target shooting so we are going to get something very simple.  He can just hold my marlin 80 .22 steady enough on a table to hit a target, but I want to find him a .22 that is smaller and lighter (and very cheap).  I also want to get him a .410 and there are several youth models I am curious about.  Rural King carries a brand called G-Force and I have also seen a lot about Hatfield making a nice youth model.  Does anyone have experience with either of these manufacturers?  I know they are cheap, but I am looking for cheap.

Get him a Ruger 10/22.  They're about $260 (new at Walmart, might be able to find one used a bit cheaper), and work great out of the box, or when he gets older, if he's so inclined, he can do all sorts of mods to it getting up into the thousands of dollars.  Alternatively, rather than get something new, get a really fine older 22 like a Winchester 72 or 69 (bolt actions) or a 74 (semi auto), or a Remington 510/ 511/ 512.  Those were GREAT guns made during the heyday of American manufacturing, and can usually be had for $100-200 if you look around a bit.  You simply don't see them made like that anymore at "regular" prices.

If you're set on new, the 10/22's the inexpensive, but good quality 22LR that is easily accessorized/upgraded and comes from a reputable company so if you DO ever have problems with it, support and parts are available and cheap.

For a shotgun, I can't say now.  I was a Remington guy and that company is gone.  There is a new Remington now, but I know nothing about them.

Were I looking for a shotgun for my kid, I'd probably skip the 410 and go straight to a 20 gauge.  410 ammo is scarce, is $$$, and is hard to hit your target with.   Kids shooting 410's (speaking from experience) get discouraged because it's hard to hit something with that small load of shot!   20 gauge ammo is cheaper, much easier to find, and the difference in recoil/noise is easily offset by being easier to hit targets, building confidence in a younger shooter.

The Hatfield SAS has very mixed reviews, but it does like the had decent customer service.  https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/hatfield-sas.506880/

I picked up youth Remington 11-87's for my daughters on clearance at walmart several years ago.  They were certainly not cheap at full price (about $600) but I got them for $249 and $124 on clearance, and am extremely lucky that I did.

Decent firearms normally hold their value well, so while I know you are looking for cheap, keep in mind that older stuff was made much better than most newer stuff.  You could look for an old Savage or Stevens 20 gauge, or an older Remington or Mossberg, and while it might cost as much as a Hatfield does new, the older US made guns are better guns.   I shot my first dove with an old Stevens single shot that was my uncle's.

An autoloading shotgun will likely kick much less than a pump, but a decently made pump will be cheaper.  If your son can "man up" I'd get him a Mossberg 500 "bantam" 20 gauge.  Like the 10/22, good design, not terribly expensive, and will serve the purpose now and when he's grown (you can swap a regular stock and barrel on when he's grown and he can continue using it as an adult)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Bottom left is my modified Marlin 45-70. Above that is my modified Marlin 30-30 

Marlin levers are the cat's meow.

• Like 2

@jeepwm69 the Blue one in my pic is my 10/22. Not 1 part left a Ruger though bahahaha. She’s tack driver, & like u mentioned… I have A LOT of $$ invested.. can get outta hand fast..

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only if you get a suppressor.   And if you're NOT planning on a suppressor, the 300BLK is kind of a wasted round.

Suppressor is $200 "tax stamp" along with a year wait (more or less) and an extensive background check.  I held onto hope for years that the "hearing protection act" would pass, but finally gave up and rendered unto Caesar and got a can.

A 22LR suppressor is fun for me, the wife, and kids to shoot.  Centerfire suppressors (like a 30 cal for 300BLK) are expensive, require expensive subsonic ammo, and have a very limited range. 

I'd skip the 300blk, get you a 5.56, and call it a day. 

yep..already picked up 150 rds of 5.56..lol.

Marlin levers are the cat's meow.

both of my 30-30's, marlin 336, and my Winchester model '94 30-30 are lever action, love the marlin...the '94 stays in the safe..lol.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2023 at 2:06 PM, shadetree said:

both of my 30-30's, marlin 336, and my Winchester model '94 30-30 are lever action, love the marlin...the '94 stays in the safe..lol.

I really want a Winchester Model 64.   It's the same action as the 94, but with the curved stock like the Marlins have.  I much prefer the pistol grip stock to a straight stock, even on a lever gun.

No way I can afford one though.  They are $$$$, so I'll stick to my old (pre safety) Marlins from the 70's.  Glad I got them before "Yellowstone" made the lever gun market go nuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

@jeepwm69 I purchased both my Marlins before they got too crazy. But they were still pricey!!!

I'll brag a bit. 

The only newer Marlin I have is an 1895.  Walmart clearanced them about 6-8 years ago, and knowing they were marked down elsewhere (from forum chatter) I kept an eagle eye on the one in my local store. 

It dropped to $299 one day, and had a $50 rebate on it at the time, so I got it cheap.   The Remlins weren't as good as the older JM guns, but for that price I couldn't pass it up.

I then made a drive about 1.5 hours a few weeks later when another walmart clearanced some 45-70 ammo.  Got Winchester ammo for $7/box.

At the time there was an app called Brickseek that allowed you to look up on-hand inventory and pricing by zip code at Walmart, so I could search around me and drive when I saw stuff going on clearance.  Got a lot of deals that way. 

Sadly, Walmart changed their system where the app doesn't work anymore. 

• Like 1

Jez… I paid $1400cnd used for my 45-70 (in 2017) It was a year old & had 1 box down the pipe. They sell new up here now for like $2500.. it’s crazy.. I then spent $ on the upgrades. Same price & situation for my 30-30… Cnd prices have always been Ludacris. 

Edited by Wheeler