Gotti3113

2005 Honda rubicon Broken rear differential oil check bolt

Hello Alll,

In some need of help. I broke the rear differential oil check bolt. Thankfully I was able to get it out just need to get a new one. Does anyone know the size or the parts number. I have a bolt that fits but I fear it’s to long. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first machine since my old Honda 200x three wheeler. Big rookie here. 

Edited by Gotti3113
Grammar
  • Like 1

No problem, glad to help.... No sir.... What you see in my sig is what i have 2 300's both fwd one a 97, the other is a 00 (last year they came out) the 97 is more a work bike firewood hauling etc etc... The other is a hondaline project bike... Has a number of hondaline accessories... And the other trx350 tank... That bike was my 1st 4x4 atv... My very first atv.. Was a very well loved trx250 85 model.... That I'd like to have again... Recently i purchased a cosmic grey 88 300 4wd... But sold it... I would have liked to have kept it... But i already have a close to showroom 300 (the 2000 model) besides i don't really like grey... As honda's flagship color is red... I couldn't pass up how much i was given... Gor the grey... but the main thing is it's got a good home to a friend who will take care of it....

I would like to bring this rubicon back to show room if possible. Right now my two biggest concerns are new wheels and tires and a plow for the winter time. Do you have any recommendations on plows. There are so many universal plows out there I just want to be sure whatever one I buy fits properly. Is hondaline where you get your parts? 

Did you break the fill cap or the check bolt?

Wilson's part number is the fill cap.

Check bolt is here.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/90109-371-000?ref=524e88e65bff3d46a547832c49e2a6c079129d96

Pretty much any metric bolt that size will work.  Take the drain plug out and take it to the hardware store and find one the same size.  Drain plug and check bolt are the same part number.

Rocky Mountain ATV is usually where i order parts.  Occasionally Motosport.  

Partzilla has the best parts lookup/schematics, but they are nowhere near being the cheapest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gotti3113 said:

I would like to bring this rubicon back to show room if possible. Right now my two biggest concerns are new wheels and tires and a plow for the winter time. Do you have any recommendations on plows. There are so many universal plows out there I just want to be sure whatever one I buy fits properly. Is hondaline where you get your parts? 

If you have the factory wheels I'd keep those.  The earlier Rubicons had factory aluminum wheels  Aftermarket will usually stick out and sling mud all over you.

Can't help with a plow.  Here in the South we don't need them.  Maybe some of the yankees or Canuks will chime in.

Appreciate the help fellas. Jeepwm69 it was the check bolt. Part number is spot on thank you. I bought a bolt from the hardware store yesterday it’s just a bit to long. So I’m going to have to cut it down today. I did order a bolt kit last night just to have on hand. 

It does have the factory wheels. I will need new tires before winter along with the plow. 

IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

That thing is super clean.  Read up on the Hondamatics here.  They got a bad rap over the years due to Hondamatic failures in the early models, but they made some changes over the years and the 05-up are very good machines.

There's a guy in Minneapolis who rebuilds the Hondamatics (Honda considers them "non-serviceable") who is a member here @Brian Bertram.  I talked to him for a looonnng time and he is a wealth of knowledge should you have any problems with the actual transmission.

The rest of your machine (diffs, lights, CV's, brakes etc) are all the same as the 05-11 Foreman.  

Most likely, if you don't take it out and swamp ride and sink it, you'll get a lot of years out of it.  My father-in-laws has about 15K miles on it now.

Depending on your intended use, if you're not planning on any heavy mud I'd look at Bear Claws.  I mounted some on a friend's machines last year and they ride well, pull well, and are wearing great.  I think @toodeep said they pull well in snow as well.

Thanks. I plan on keeping as long as I can. This one has sat for a bit so I’m just changing all the fluids just doingthe simple stuff. This only has 225 hrs and 1300 miles. I don’t plan on taking it mudding but will put it to work in the winter time. Are the tires hard to break off the rim? I’ve never mounted tires before. 

Appreciate the help man. That is much cheaper than getting rims. Would like black wheels for it eventually. But trying to do this on a budget until next year 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gotti3113 said:

Appreciate the help man. That is much cheaper than getting rims. Would like black wheels for it eventually. But trying to do this on a budget until next year 

I run painted Rubicon aluminum wheels on all of my wheelers.  They're lightweight and strong, and I don't need bling for trails and hunting.  That said, that shiny aluminum flares the ducks, so I rattle can mine black.

If I could find a used pair I would rattle can them. I don’t trust my painting skills. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I’m real green here want to do most of the work myself. I just don’t want to mess anything up on the machine. 

28 minutes ago, Gotti3113 said:

If I could find a used pair I would rattle can them. I don’t trust my painting skills. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I’m real green here want to do most of the work myself. I just don’t want to mess anything up on the machine. 

Well any 12" wheels from a Honda Foreman 400/450/500 or Rubicon will fit as long as they came on a solid rear axle machine (the IRS machines have a different offset on the rear wheels)

On August 16, 2023 at 6:04 AM, Gotti3113 said:

No sir ..... I don't have any recommendations for snow plow attachments ......... Along with what jeep said... I'd also check with @Goober for plow recommendations ...(sure others might toss in ideas) . Maybe he will get this page out....tuned for this project. 

Haven't seen him in a while but he will show I've got my hands full on of my deep freezers just bit the dust..... If it's not one thing it's another...

i see alot of people posting partszilla and i dont know if others know but if your buying items for around 100$ or more when you call them 8/10 times you will get them for a discount sometimes a pretty big one. just want to help out.

On 8/16/2023 at 2:08 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Well any 12" wheels from a Honda Foreman 400/450/500 or Rubicon will fit as long as they came on a solid rear axle machine (the IRS machines have a different offset on the rear wheels)

Random question what is the bolt pattern for the rubicon? Is it 4/110?

4 hours ago, Danika 327 said:

i see alot of people posting partszilla and i dont know if others know but if your buying items for around 100$ or more when you call them 8/10 times you will get them for a discount sometimes a pretty big one. just want to help out.

that used to be much cheaper. I bought for a long time from Honda East Toledo, and they still have good prices but their shipping costs are high. Rocky mountain ATV seems to be the best place now.

One thing I really don’t like about Partzilla is they charge immediately when you order something.  RMATV and Motosport charge when your items ship.  I’ve had some fenders on back order since last December and had ordered them at Partzilla I would be out that money all of this time.