I picked this up from Bass Pro shop, had $118 in club points so got it for $98 !! Any tips or pointers on mounting on a 2010 420?

20240510_205442.jpg

Hey Wilson, here's some pics...mounting is you place where you want it on rack, from bottom mark locations on underside and then you drill holes for a mount metal mount bracket to mount on seat, then u bolts from inside bins to your rack, looks like a little weather stripping can seal boxes ( lockable ), or I figured drill drain hole with a cork if not worried about a waterproof storage. 

20240511_093525.jpg

20240511_093613.jpg

20240511_093702.jpg

Nice touch was reflectors on back.

20240511_093639.jpg

21 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I picked this up from Bass Pro shop, had $118 in club points so got it for $98 !! Any tips or pointers on mounting on a 2010 420?

20240510_205442.jpg

nice !. just one concern i will tell you right now, if and when you put someone in that seat?, and you go to climb a steep hill?, you are begging for a bad time!, lol. there is a reason the safety stickers say '' no ridders ''..lol. but hey..its your's..you do as you wish.

Yea I had thought of that, flat as heck here, mudholes...yes, hills, no, strictly for wife and I cruise on dirt roads here in the boonies lol, take care guys, maybe catch ya on a chat one night.

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Yea I had thought of that, flat as heck here, mudholes...yes, hills, no, strictly for wife and I cruise on dirt roads here in the boonies lol, take care guys, maybe catch ya on a chat one night.

We would like to see ya in chat some night, almost always around every night shooting the crap or whatever gets in conversation...

• Like 1

I picked one of those up a few years ago.  Wife rode on it for about 1/4 mile and said "Nope". 

The one I had was too tall, so with her sitting it it she had to have her arms sticking out at almost shoulder level resting on the sides.  It just positioned her awkwardly in the seat.   That coupled with her rattling back and forth between the sides when I hit bumps and crossed ditches nixed that seat quick.  I sold it and got my money back out of it.

I have the Coleman/ Mad Dog gear soft bags on the back of mine now.  They''re ok but overpriced and don't last too long if you leave your wheeler out at all.

Oh great lol, I plan on using more than 4 u bolts, figured gonna add 2 more at back of rack that has that bar right above tailight in the back, and add where I can, don't think 4 bolts spaced out gonna cut it, you lucky you sold it knowing issues, only idiots like me would buy it .

Looks like the Mad Dog more suitable for composite rack, the metal rack looks like would be uncomfortable for a passenger but I have been know to be wrong.

Screenshot_20240513-114604_Amazon Shopping.jpg

On 5/13/2024 at 10:44 AM, Mach 1 said:

Oh great lol, I plan on using more than 4 u bolts, figured gonna add 2 more at back of rack that has that bar right above tailight in the back, and add where I can, don't think 4 bolts spaced out gonna cut it, you lucky you sold it knowing issues, only idiots like me would buy it .

I bought it used, assume the guy I bought it from had the same issues I did.  A lot of people like them, but my wife wasn't one of those people.

Haven't had any complaints on the soft rear seats.   The padding is thick enough where the rack isn't felt.  They are pretty flimsy for what they cost, and the color fades on them fast.

I have a plan of attack..in pic, top is hardware that came with it, went to Ace and got 4 more u bolts and accessories,  gonna use 2 u bolts per corner instead of 1..also on rack the 2 flatbars on the back angled forward,(see pic), gonna drill into them and bolt it down there, (bottom of hardware pic with additional rubber washers), plus wife is small so gonna be more forward and not as far back as possible. Also,  if its not hard to remove rear rack, will be ALOT easier to remove rack, attach seat, then bolt rack back on..no room to get a pencil in between rack and fender to mark bottom of seat for drilling points ( see pic )...thanks guys, will update.

20240520_163820.jpg

20240520_163838.jpg

20240520_163848.jpg

• Like 1

I have researched internet and can't find much or anything on removing rear rack for 2010 420, any help please and thoughts on my idea on removing rack and mounting lounger, trying to figure if rack is very labor intensive and not worth removing...thanks

Not too bad.  2 12mm bolts in the back, 2 12mm bolts, one on each side (you can see them looking above the rear wheel from the side), 2 10mm bolts holding the rear fender to the rear rack (look on the underside of the fender and you can see where they go up  through the fender into the bottom of the rear rack).

Unplug tail light, move all the wiring crap out of the way in one blob, and the rear rack should slide right out.

Rack is not too bad removing. like jeep said a few bolts on each side and it'll lift right off. 

15 hours ago, jcz said:

Rack is not too bad removing. like jeep said a few bolts on each side and it'll lift right off. 

Yea that part seems easy, here is the wrench in the works 🤔 

20240522_093155.jpg

55 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Yea that part seems easy, here is the wrench in the works 🤔 

20240522_093155.jpg

The fuse box just pulls out of a slot.   Same with the ECU.  You have little plastic clips that hold the fuel injection relay in place, and if you take a pair of wire dykes and pinch the feet together on the underside, they pull right out from the top.   Once you do one, you'll understand what I mean.   Unclip or lift out everything back there and it can all be moved to sit on top of the airbox.  

Ok, got it on. After removing seat and plastic back cover, removed to rear fender to rack 10 mm, was able to then push down to get chalk to mark rack. As you can see by pics, why use 4 brackets when 8 is better!! As well at back added my own 1/2" bolts, everything has rubber washers and back 2 have 2 rubber gaskets and 2 rubber washers..being from submarines and having sound management and isolation20240601_130238.jpg repeated over and over for 12 years, each u bolt has a foam insert In the u I added for sound isolation between rack bars and u bolt..it is SOLID !!! Ride soon but with flat dirt roads and barely hit 30 mph, don't see an issue. Next is angle sensor and new handlebar switches, all oem following great advice here on that..thanks forum

20240601_131811.jpg

20240601_131735.jpg

20240601_130245.jpg

• Like 1