toodeepmember

What the!!!!!

yeah, that would be a shocking experience, lol, i would still like to know the thinking behind that idea, and also this one. 

image.jpg

12 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah, that would be a shocking experience, lol, i would still like to know the thinking behind that idea, and also this one. 

image.jpg

If your tall enough, you just pee in the sink.....😆 🤣 😂

• Haha 1

This is just an awesome pic.... looks like a river crossing bore, directional drilling...

Screenshot_20210307-093254_LinkedIn.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

This is just an awesome pic.... looks like a river crossing bore, directional drilling...

Screenshot_20210307-093254_LinkedIn.jpg

That's actually how they install pipeline. Weld it first and then dig it in. They are doing one that size in our area now.

• Like 2

I am thinking they are threading that pipeline thru a bore , looks like  they have rollers on the lifting cradles 

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am thinking they are threading that pipeline thru a bore , looks like  they have rollers on the lifting cradles 

Yea, that would be the pull section, and by the sizes of the cranes its heavy wall pipe.

Those cradles are heavy, I had a hard time moving them around without a piece of iron...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PROV said:

That's actually how they install pipeline. Weld it first and then dig it in. They are doing one that size in our area now.

Thats part of an install, on big jobs they have hundreds of crossings like this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

sounds  like a very interesting job, how do they do the leek test ? 

With crossed fingers.  I should ask around.   Lots of fracking and pipeline in my area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

sounds  like a very interesting job, how do they do the leek test ? 

They do either an air test or fill it with water and pressure it up, make sure it holds for 24 hrs. On smaller size pipe we used to soap test them at 100 psi, or shrink a heat sleeve over the welds, that is messy if there is a leak but its neat to see the sleeves balloon. On pipe that size all the welds are done with a machine now and x-rayed then there is a 2 part epoxy coating applied.

I started pipelining in 97 and have worked on lines from 2"-48".

• Like 4

The welds are x-rayed. Then they pressure test them. When they gang sling them like that they lift, trench and move on down the line like you're burying a long snake. The whole line goes underground.

If they do an air test on a pipeline that size a compressor on the deck of a 53ft high boy shows up...

Just now, PROV said:

The welds are x-rayed. Then they pressure test them. When they gang sling them like that they lift, trench and move on down the line like you're burying a long snake. The whole line goes underground.

The drill guys know what angle they come up at, so they are feeding the pipe into the hole at the same angle....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TBRider said:

The drill guys know what angle they come up at, so they are feeding the pipe into the hole at the same angle....

Not in this case. It is welded as far as you can see and then they are setting it in a trench.

i wouldn't mind seeing the whole process done, i don't know about seeing the sleeves balloon out. lol. after having fire apparatus hoses and hydraulic cylinders / lines explode  not too keen on being close to fluid blow outs. 

1 hour ago, PROV said:

Not in this case. It is welded as far as you can see and then they are setting it in a trench.

They don't lower pipe into ditch with stationary cranes and pipe cradles, the pipe in my picture is being pulled towards the sideboom in the front.

• Like 2

Sidebooms like this one lower pipe into ditch....

We are digging this one out for replacement at the time, worked on that same line 3 times with 2 companies within 2 years, same line was washed out in the 2013 floods

IMG_20150721_151928.jpg

IMG_20140317_153619.jpg

IMG_20151017_114741.jpg

• Like 3

that reminds me of when texas eastern dug up, and replaced some gas pipe line on one farm we own, i was a kid, so i don't recall much, but the heavy equipment like in your last pic, but to look at the land now, you'd never know it was ever done, except for vent pipes (pic) which are still there, did such a great job, didnt even mess up the spring branch close by. 

TBRider you should take a look at this thread. 

https://atvhonda.com/topic/551-what-pays-the-bills/

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that reminds me of when texas eastern dug up, and replaced some gas pipe line on one farm we own, i was a kid, so i don't recall much, but the heavy equipment like in your last pic, but to look at the land now, you'd never know it was ever done, except for vent pipes (pic) which are still there, did such a great job, didnt even mess up the spring branch close by. 

TBRider you should take a look at this thread. 

https://atvhonda.com/topic/551-what-pays-the-bills/

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't think that's a vent, more of a marker for location, is that beside a road?

And I posted that I pipelined in that thread....lol

• Like 1

cool!

yes, its right beside the road, but there's also a plastic gas line marker, but not on the other farm across the road, just our side. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

cool!

yes, its right beside the road, but there's also a plastic gas line marker, but not on the other farm across the road, just our side. 

Usually there are markers on both sides of the road, about 3 ft to the side of where the pipe is buried, they don't put the markers on top so someone can't push the markersinto the pipe.

• Like 1

there is also a single prop  airplane .... that flys the same route as the pipe line runs, all the way to the sub / pump station in culleoka just a few miles from my home, which i never have asked about, i take it, it's messuring or scanning the pipe line, i do get letters from the company with an emergency number to call, which i hope i never have to use.... lol 

• Like 1