GAR

Opinions On replacing OEM tires on my 87 trx350d

I am looking to replace my original tires on my 87 350d,  I have put a lot of  sweat equity into this old girl to get her running and looking good again, I do long trail rides and sometimes even camp with it off the trails. I try to be prepared for anything and bring along anything I may need in the field to do repairs. With that said, I have done a few hundred miles on it sense I repaired and restored so I am confident she will be dependable for a trip I am planing coming up soon but........ I am concerned about the tires, they are the original tires from 1987, they have plenty of tread in them but one of them has a couple cracks in the sidewall. So I think it’s best to replace them. So what I need is suggestions on tires. I want a quality tire 6ply that looks similar or more aggressive then originals and are true to size, I would like to stay stock size 24x9x11. I have read a few reviews about some tires brands not being true to there’s size so I figure I would ask you guys. What tires would you put on it, I would  appreciate any suggestions. I figure a few of you I’ll say just keep the originals on it but I am concerned they will fail during use due to age.

D95F8B11-C881-4285-BFC8-B0D6CE1F54E8.jpeg

3E561401-D0E7-459E-ADED-AAC7BC9C7C95.jpeg

Edited by GAR
Ad a picture
  • Like 1

I don't know if the BearClaws stay true to size in the 11 inch wheel size or not but they are a very good all around tire. Yours look like they have been overinflated at some time and have stretched out so all of them are probably going to come in on the short side in the original size when comparing them. If you can find a 25 in an 11 inch size you might consider that route just to get close to what you are use to.

Check to see if Bear Claws,Swamp Fox,Ancla and Wanda P341's come in the size you are wanting.

Swamp fox use to weather/crack really bad around the lugs. I don't know if they still do or not but i quit getting the for that reason. The 11 inch wheels really narrow down the choices of tires.

2 minutes ago, toodeep said:

. The 11 inch wheels really narrow down the choices of tires.

Yes they do,still wonder why Honda does this with the Rancher 420

I have no clue since it isn't a money making thing (I don't think). Even the 12 inch front wheels are different from the Foreman wheels (spacing) or at least they was, i haven't compared the new models. The old theory the smaller the wheel size the more sidewall flex you had giving just a touch of more suspension/give. On a solid axle machine, that still might be the theory with a smaller height tire. 

I have my originals still mounted on the original wheels—one tire has some sidewall cracks. I bought another set of oem wheels off fleabay and mounted Mud Lite AT.

theres another tire looks similar to stock I’ll have to remember 🤔what it is.

18D80C5F-E25F-46DC-AAB7-28CAA01A66E1.jpeg

6D1B3104-6761-4657-932B-936AAEE52881.jpeg

Edited by Goober

I'm not a mudlite fan but the 86 sure makes them look good. Goodyear tracker is a original style tire but i don't know if they make them in a 11 inch size. The trx400fw ran a version of them in the stock form.

• Like 1

Good year mud runner would look nice on there.

i don't know if you can get them in your size or not but here's a pic of my rancher with them

image.jpeg

i run mudlite AT's, they come in stock size, not over aggressive, nor under. bottom line, all depends on where your located and ride ?. everyone has their brands, mine just happens to be mudlite AT's.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M962-Utility-Rear-25X10-11/dp/B000GROZ9E

I'd keep running what you have.  Those old tires are so old and probably hard that if you let the air out of them the tire wouldn't go flat.

I have an 350D parts bike in the back  yard with those original tires on it.  The valve stem is ripped out of the rim on one of them and the tire isn't flat.  LOL

On 3/11/2020 at 8:40 PM, toodeep said:

I'm not a mudlite fan but the 86 sure makes them look good. Goodyear tracker is a original style tire but i don't know if they make them in a 11 inch size. The trx400fw ran a version of them in the stock form.

EeeYup

and Mud Lites are made in ‘Merika boys!

What tires did you end up going with?  I am looking to replace a set of originals.  I am debating on taking it up to 25".  

Well I did get some flack for this but my 86 350A has Kenda Executioner's on it now. I took her out mudding last weekend and it was a beast! They have a similar lug design to the stock foreman tractor treads and I love them. I went with 25-10-12 size on all 4 corners. They are heavy but the bike has plenty of power for it and they ride well on and off trail in my opinion. The extra weight and width has also made the bike super stable to ride. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

IMG_20200501_105611415_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200430_165807480_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bladams85 said:

Well I did get some flack for this but my 86 350A has Kenda Executioner's on it now. I took her out mudding last weekend and it was a beast! They have a similar lug design to the stock foreman tractor treads and I love them. I went with 25-10-12 size on all 4 corners. They are heavy but the bike has plenty of power for it and they ride well on and off trail in my opinion. The extra weight and width has also made the bike super stable to ride. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

IMG_20200501_105611415_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200430_165807480_HDR.jpg

keep us updated on how long the rear drive line holds up please !...lol.

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

keep us updated on how long the rear drive line holds up please !...lol.

You will be the first to know shade! I'm curious as well. I'm not one to hide it when I'm wrong! I'll even send pics! Lol

• Like 1

LOL.  I've been running them on my 09 Foreman for 5-6 years.  I did blow a ujoint when I was driving through/ over some ruts one day.  Rear wheels were spinning and when I dropped in the rut I heard a clatter and the rear end quit pulling.

Other than that they haven't caused me any problems.   They are heavy though.  VERY heavy.

17 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

LOL.  I've been running them on my 09 Foreman for 5-6 years.  I did blow a ujoint when I was driving through/ over some ruts one day.  Rear wheels were spinning and when I dropped in the rut I heard a clatter and the rear end quit pulling.

Other than that they haven't caused me any problems.   They are heavy though.  VERY heavy.

You got that right! They are tanks!